Author Topic: Amphibious creature in IGN video?!  (Read 9213 times)

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
Amphibious creature in IGN video?!
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:34:16 am »
Hi guys,

I was watching the highres IGN video again, the other night, and saw something you might find interesting. Watch the little critter in the circle:

The creature lies in the lapping waves (!!) for a while, then decides to come out and walk on the beach. This pretty much confirms amphibious creatures. :)

Too bad it doesn't show it swimming.

<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Amphibious creature in IGN video?!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:36:34 am »
Sweet  :o !Grood find.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:40:41 am »
Interesting. I would be careful, however: even a land-based creature can walk in and out of the surf, but that doesn't make it amphibious.

Regardless, I hope that you are right in your interpretation.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:12 am »
Could you post the URL please.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:58 am »
There is another, less romantic, explanation: Spore isnt finished, therefore, maybe, the creature going in and out of water bit of the engine or whatever isn't finished. If you remember when the Willosaur was evolved, it pretty much just appeared under water and Will just walked it out.

-Understated elegance.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:57:07 am »
@Jameso: Here's the link to all the IGN stuff: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/735/735340/vids_1.html (edit: gamespy has all of them available without having to register: http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/735/735340/vids_1.html)

@Tonjevic: Yes, the way the creature gets tossed by the waves could imply it was just planted there by whoever put together the demo. OTOH If it was the game putting it there you would expect it to plant it in the environment suited for the type of creature it is. I don't think it just evovled at that instant, as I don't think the non-player creatures do.*

*The monolith is the exception, and it only effects the "brain" or more accurately their behaviour (tool wielding). That raises the question: what happens if there are no creatures that have manipulators on the planet where you put a monolith?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:33:07 am by SpaceOddity »
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:08:43 am »
Thanks.  I don't know what to expect of SPORE any more ???.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:02:29 am »
Thanks. I don't know what to expect of SPORE any more ???.

That it will be the greatest game that you've ever played no matter what or what isn't included in the game.  ;)

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 05:22:14 am »
Indeed!

What I find incredible is how the said creature gets tossed by the waves. Amazing physics!  :o
When I have some spare time I'll try to cut that little scene from the movie to show how it looks. In the meanwhile I'll try to find the location in the original movie. (edit: It's from 11:07 onwards.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 05:53:18 am by SpaceOddity »
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 06:58:31 am »
Indeed!

What I find incredible is how the said creature gets tossed by the waves. Amazing physics!  :o
When I have some spare time I'll try to cut that little scene from the movie to show how it looks. In the meanwhile I'll try to find the location in the original movie. (edit: It's from 11:07 onwards.)

I'd be surprised if it was really tossed by the waves.  At best maybe it was lifted by the water but even that seems a bit of a stretch.  I would bet that the creature was just walking in and out of the water.  Its really too short a shot to tell for sure I think.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 09:30:02 am »
Might I refer everyone back to the GDC 2005 video?  Start as a spore... into an amphibious creature.  I don't know why they would just go away once you get onto land.   Now it would be cool if there were creatures that could handle both land and underwater.  What if a creature had gills and a nose?  Experience the best of both worlds?
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 09:37:52 am »
We are at least assured land creatures can swim.... To some degree anyway.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 10:02:26 am »
Might I refer everyone back to the GDC 2005 video?  Start as a spore... into an amphibious creature.  I don't know why they would just go away once you get onto land.   Now it would be cool if there were creatures that could handle both land and underwater.  What if a creature had gills and a nose?  Experience the best of both worlds?

When were you amphibious in the GDC2005 video?  You were aquatic.  Is that what you meant?
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 09:54:45 pm »
It could just be a clipping issue, or they are allow to walk in the shore water.

Offline AGENT15

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:24:38 pm »
Interesting. I would be careful, however: even a land-based creature can walk in and out of the surf, but that doesn't make it amphibious.

Regardless, I hope that you are right in your interpretation.
Oh my ****ing god, your avatar is more amazing than should be legal.
DONT EAT MY FACE!