Author Topic: Creature Editor, Textures and More  (Read 79118 times)

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
Re: Creature/Blob Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2006, 04:18:27 am »
The textural is done procedurally. Why? It allows for maximum compression.

I highly doubt we'll see custom painted texture.

A small aside here, if you don't mind: From what I understand the textures aren't done procedurally, they are applied procedurally. That means custom textures are not completely out of the question, and given Maxis' track record with custom textures for the Sims 2, I cannot imagine they would opt not to include something similar for Spore.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2006, 04:19:45 am »
look, the creature is not a blob editor, please change the name of thsi thread please.
Never mind your own business.

Offline GHudston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2006, 05:13:23 am »
You mention that a cat has 'actual indents' to make it look unique. Have you not watched the demos? All creatures start off as a blob but you can elongate, shorten and shape the spinal chord. From what I can tell you can increse the mass of the creature in different places in it's body by using the mouse wheel whilst a single vertebra is selected. The 'blob' can be ANY shape you want is to be, then limbs are added to that to define it further, and those limbs can be shaped in the same way in the body.

Even the body itself can be useful as more than just the base for parts, isn't the grasping tail on the Willosaur just an extended part of the body?

This editor is FAR better than I thought was even possible, I don't really know what more you could want.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2006, 06:13:12 am »
From what I can tell you can increse the mass of the creature in different places in it's body by using the mouse wheel whilst a single vertebra is selected. The 'blob' can be ANY shape you want is to be

Isn't that contradictory?

Grey they is the spine, the vertabra. the black is the skin.

What if, like the pink section, I want only that side to swell?
or like the blue section, I want it to shrink only on one side?
Or like the green, I want only 1 side to shrink and not affect the vertabra next to them?

Hell what if I want the groove to run parrallel to along the vertabra? were it runs down creating a ditch like the human spine...but everything bar those indented cm's are unaffected?

-edit-
*laughs* obviously I cant type the right words at 11:33pm :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 06:23:48 am by Protoavis »
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2006, 06:29:27 am »
I can see an insurmountable amount of possibilities streaming to nearly infinite boundries, while others choose to see what they want to see and nothing else, I see the most advanced 3-dimensional in-game editor ever created and it still has an entire year of development of improvement to go through. While we have not seen feline fur, and while Will Wright did not showcase hellish beasts as much as he showcased the more cartoonish creatures, I still see definite possibilties for any kind of creature to exist.

I plan currently to create a complex Red Dragon using the Spore creature editor because it is so simple to use and yet allows for major complexity (as seen by the Battlefish example with scales/ect).

Although, I'm sure Jake Courtney will never agree with any of us on anything and will just punch Spore in the balls all day and night to say "I want this game to have more detail than a PS3 and I want it to do my taxes too." This just shows how spoiled we are -- some of us are so spoiled that we can really raise our standards above the highest technology and say "Hey, you know what? I want more than the best, I want a $3000 3D modeling system and I want it included with my $60 PC game"

Offline GHudston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2006, 08:22:06 am »
I very much doubt you'll be able to shape te creatures like that, so in that respect I suppose that it is 'just a blob'. But the spinal chord is there for modelling purposes more than anything else, it can easliy be bent into any shape that you want. For example, that shape that you just used as an example could be made, at least to some extent, by both resizing and bending the spinal chord. Granted, when you resize a piece of the 'blob' with the mouse wheel it does so in a symmetrical fashion, i.e. if you take that cross section it will be perfectly round. It's about as complex as is possible and I, for one, don't really see any serious limitations with this creature editor.

Offline Khornel

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2006, 08:26:18 am »
I can see an insurmountable amount of possibilities streaming to nearly infinite boundries, while others choose to see what they want to see and nothing else, I see the most advanced 3-dimensional in-game editor ever created and it still has an entire year of development of improvement to go through. While we have not seen feline fur, and while Will Wright did not showcase hellish beasts as much as he showcased the more cartoonish creatures, I still see definite possibilties for any kind of creature to exist.

I plan currently to create a complex Red Dragon using the Spore creature editor because it is so simple to use and yet allows for major complexity (as seen by the Battlefish example with scales/ect).

Although, I'm sure Jake Courtney will never agree with any of us on anything and will just punch Spore in the balls all day and night to say "I want this game to have more detail than a PS3 and I want it to do my taxes too." This just shows how spoiled we are -- some of us are so spoiled that we can really raise our standards above the highest technology and say "Hey, you know what? I want more than the best, I want a $3000 3D modeling system and I want it included with my $60 PC game"

I totally agree, instead of looking for what it doesn't have, look at what it has. This creature editor is (one of?) the best editor seen in games ever, and you(Thread creator) choose to look for all the negatives and what it doesn't have? That's just plain weird

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2006, 09:05:00 am »
You mention that a cat has 'actual indents' to make it look unique. Have you not watched the demos? All creatures start off as a blob but you can elongate, shorten and shape the spinal chord. From what I can tell you can increse the mass of the creature in different places in it's body by using the mouse wheel whilst a single vertebra is selected. The 'blob' can be ANY shape you want is to be, then limbs are added to that to define it further, and those limbs can be shaped in the same way in the body.

Even the body itself can be useful as more than just the base for parts, isn't the grasping tail on the Willosaur just an extended part of the body?

This editor is FAR better than I thought was even possible, I don't really know what more you could want.

You have to shape it the whole way round,  You can't just fatten it to one side, everything has to be symmetrical.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2006, 09:06:43 am »

Maya is $8000.00 my dear friend.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2006, 09:23:05 am »

use it.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2006, 09:24:24 am »
If only we could modify creatures bodies.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2006, 09:36:28 am »
We can you ****... lol you're so boring. I thought Gamingsteve was a troll-free forum(as if!). Sure, your stance against fanboyism is good, but everything you say is either totally without value or nitpicky in the extreme.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2006, 09:38:34 am »
Incorrect kind sir...  thanks for your lovely input non the less. ****.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Blob Editor, Textures and More
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2006, 09:46:05 am »
he is correct and most of us agree with him. If you find the editor such crap go use maya and stop bringing down the people who actually think the editor is cool.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2006, 09:54:19 am »
Incorrect kind sir...  thanks for your lovely input non the less. ****.
**** off you ****ting ****.  ;)
anyway look jake i realise you like antagonising us and it is quite funny how overtly fanboyish our reactions are but you've got to realise if you don't like a game then don't follow it. nothings going to change your opinion on it (touch wood.)