Author Topic: Pokemon Sword/Shield - Here we go...  (Read 833 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Pokemon Sword/Shield - Here we go...
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:05:14 pm »
So where to start with these games. I really want to like them. And I do not hate them. I got Shield and it's... fine. It's very fine for a game. I guess.

But you know, it's one of those games that has a long history. And I've played a lot of the older games, though not all of them. I skip every generation, sometimes two or three. Depends how I feel. And playing Pokemon Shield I am really getting this feeling that this is a Game Boy Advance game with fancy graphics. Like, mechanically this game is clunky and obtuse and plays exactly like Pokemon did two decades ago. And that is not a compliment. The way battles flow is awful; there's no excuse for there to be so many phases between attacks, status effects, information about impacts of attacks/status effects, and enemy reactions. It's just god damn awful. This all could have been streamlined and I feel like it wouldn't be that big of an ordeal; especially when you consider that Game Freak lied about spending all that time creating high quality assets for each Pokemon. So what else were they doing? Besides building a very okay game?

A lot of my gripes with this game come down to the way information is given to the player in combat. It pads out the overall experience in the worst kind of way. You could easily have an attack, its damage, and any additional effects happen with one screen worth of information as opposed to breaking three actions up over five screens. They've had 25 years to improve this system. I dunno man.

I'll keep playing it, the game is fun enough. But some simple tweaks could have made it a lot better. And also I'm not super keen on the setting. The Galar region is kind of meh. And the Gen VIII music is really mediocre. I don't know what they're trying to go for but the Game Boy had far better music than this game. Everything in the new game feels overproduced and some of the battle themes are a mess of sound. It's just noise with techno bips and bops thrown in at random intervals.

Very okay game.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Sword/Shield - Here we go...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 07:13:27 am »
It could be a lot better, but I really enjoyed seeing the Pokemon roaming around in the landscape.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Pokemon Sword/Shield - Here we go...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:56:32 pm »
Yeah it is still a comfy game. I enjoy playing it for the most part. Glad I did not pay full price.