Author Topic: Of Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers  (Read 861 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Of Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:25:06 pm »
Nintendo's latest generation of controllers is simultaneously exciting and depressing. On the one hand, I really enjoy the refinement of the Wii's original remote-style controller. Joy-Cons and their Pro counterpart exhibit a ton of great tech crammed into a tiny package. It's an achievement to be sure.

However I cannot look past the manufacturing defect. I won't say this is as bad as Microsoft's red ring of death. BUT. At MSRP $69.99 for a Pro Controller and MSRP $79.99 for the pair of Joy-Cons, it's pretty damn close to being as bad. Why is this as bad as red ring of death? Well, you know why! JOYCON DRIFT. The analog sticks on Nintendo's latest generation of controllers wear out and become unusable, causing stray and ongoing inputs to completely ruin games.

When Dragon Quest XI came out, the game was entirely unplayable for me because some genius decided to bind analog inputs to progress in-game text. And on regular games that require general precision you can count it out.

So okay, what's the big deal then? This is an old issue, welcome to 2017, Pat.

That is precisely why I am so annoyed about this. Drift has been a known issues for years at this point. Second generation Joy-Cons still have the issue, Pro Controllers have the issue, and any poor sap with a Switch Lite is begging for their whole system to be irrevocably made useless once drift sets in. There was a class-action suit against Nintendo about this and I don't remember what the payouts were, but clearly it wasn't that high because they never fixed the controllers.

How hard is it to strap a thumb pad to a potentiometer and make a functional video game controller? My N64 controllers still work. My GameCube controllers still work. Even my Wii Nunchucks/Pro Controllers AND my Wii U controllers still work. That dinky little turd on the 3DS is still working fine too.

WTF? This is entirely unacceptable and now is causing me to not purchase games because I need new controllers to play them. And I don't want to fork over 100 bucks for hardware that is going to break again in a week? A month? Two months? MYSTERY!?!?

As of right now you can't touch Joy-Cons for under 100 bucks and the Pro is also inflated in price. Talk about a big goddamn mess.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Of Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:01:46 am »
Fun news! My OG grey Joy-Con, the right one (the only one that still works) is finally developing problems. But it isn't DRIFT! The tiny r-shoulder button that is now beginning to misread inputs. You press R to drift in Mario Kart and you start a drift, but then randomly the button releases at random and sends you flying! Hooray! All my old "Made in Japan" Nintendo stuff works fine. :|