Author Topic: LARP: Everything you wanted to know but were too afraid to ask  (Read 18463 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: LARP: Everything you wanted to know but were too afraid to ask
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 04:17:37 pm »
Well, my mom says there aren't any forests or woods around here, but the canyons of the Hollywood Hills are kind of foresty.

And yeah, not really sideways, but more diagonal, with low branches. You know, climbing trees.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »
Rys, take it somewhere else for godsakes.

Also: Gec, just because I went outside with a stick and fought the most epic wars ever conceived against invisible foe's doesn't mean i didn't have an unloving family lol.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 04:32:33 pm »
Rys, take it somewhere else for godsakes.

Also: Gec, just because I went outside with a stick and fought the most epic wars ever conceived against invisible foe's doesn't mean i didn't have an unloving family lol.
That was more my point Gec  :P
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 04:49:57 pm »

1. Do they have Steam Punk LARP?

2. Do any of the LARPing with girls get flirty or even sexual? Note I am not tying to be a perv or anything but you are getting together a bunch of 20 year olds.

3. What is the difference between LARPing and reenactments? Because I have a friend who in college did Civil War reenactments.

4. How is this diffrent or the same as "Cosplay"?

5. Are their scripts or is everything improvisational?

6. How are battles and stuff decided? Are their ever arguments where people act like little kids and say "You missed, I'm not dead!" ?

7. Is this basically a grown up version of all the "pretend" games we played as little kids?

1. I've seen it done, but the groups seemed more interested in debating over movie and book plots than doing anything else. If there is a local sci-fi book/game store check the announcement board.

2. From my experience, yes, but there are some considerations you need to understand up front. If a person is in character and being flirty it might be because they are just in character, don't take it seriously, just play along. If that person should drop out of character and tell you to back down do it. In truth, if there is anything there they will probably approach you after the event. You'll more than likely not get a date, but you can make some great friends (I have in the past (wicked grin)).

3. In my opinion that would be dependant on the rules. Reenactments that I have seen are based on real historical events and times, the people 'playing' are trying to be true to such times. LARPing and its off-shoots usually have rules deisnged to make a 'game' of it, often with some 'end goal'.

One off-shoot of fantasy LARPing that I was invited to watch was a 'wild west' LARP which included several fire arms competitions. Really though it fell between LARP and a reenactment since the overall event had no rules, just rules so that people didn't actually shoot each other.

4. My only experience with 'cosplay' people was bumping in to them at a gaming convention. The ones that looked like actual characters were busy trying to get their picture taken as much as possible. The 'uglies' were ignored like some plague infested corpse on the street. Either way there seemed to be little social interaction. The hardcore ones only would speak Japanese.

5. My experience with LARP is that it is all improv. However the hosts, acting as game masters. would often have scripted background stories.

6. The fantasy LARP folks that I knew were SCA folks, so they tended to beat the crap out of each other. The wild west stuff was basically a NRA style competition shoot. Other stuff would be done by vote or on rare occasion by dice (dice are frowned upon).

7. Yes, with better toys, better beverages, and cleavage.

The best LARP-like event I ever saw was a 16 person game in the Firefly/Serenity setting.

-Lego

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:13 pm »
The best LARP-like event I ever saw was a 16 person game in the Firefly/Serenity setting.

-Lego

So it was unfairly held at a terrible time with events in the wrong order so everyone was really confused and then ultimately cancelled by the fox netowrk... Although the DVD sales for it were good.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 07:13:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Lego.  ;D

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »
Hydro is going to LARP purely to get women
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 07:55:11 pm »
6: How is combat decided?

I've never LARPed, but I've read (skimmed) some of the mind's eye theatre (World of Darkness (supernatural horror) LARP) rulebook, and in that specific setting I think it's either some kinda dice thing or some type of rock-paper-scissors mechanic. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain it's some form of chance-based thing. All depends on the group, I would suppose. MET vampire games, I think, are intended to have minimal combat, and are more oriented towards diplomacy and politics. And the rulebook mentions safety a lot. Taking the boffers (foam swords/weapons) out makes it a bit safer.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:05 am »
So what is SF LARPing like?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 06:59:10 am »

Many people do that. Same reason some people go to peace rallies, political rallies, art classes, (environment inserted here) studies classes, etc... For some it works, for most it doesn't.

-Lego

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
Wow. So even Anglo LARPing is more elegant and less crude than the American version? I don't know whether to be offended or disapointed.

Offline bad Karma

• Phoenix Fighter
  • It's not me, it's you. I'm not sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

tRUST ME, DON'T.

i uHH, STILL CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 03:30:30 pm »
Fly karma! FLY!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:20 pm »
...honk.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

gec05

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

Oh I'm sure you did, as for mostly everyone here. Eagle just made it seem I was severely depraved of ever pretending to be anything when I was a kid. :P