Author Topic: D2 Expansion install... Halp!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
D2 Expansion install... Halp!
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:27:01 pm »
I tried googling it, and I'm trying to install it again.

Halfway through the install, it tells me to insert the Play Disc. Problem is, it's already in. And when I take it out and put it back in, click ok, the box goes away for a while, but always comes back.

I don't know what the issue is, anyone know how to fix it?

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: D2 Expansion install... Halp!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
Oh yeah, that's the most common issue with Diablo 2, the data on the discs seem really fragile, and can easily get into cyclic redundancy checks. You pretty much have two solutions:

1) Navigate to the CD root and manually copy the file off the disc, if you have more than one drive, the other one may work, which it luckily does for me.

or if that fails...

2) Find a place to download the damaged files.

The second option is supposedly less than legal, but unfortunately the last choice for most people due to the damage being so deep.
Virus Buster.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:51:01 pm »
Welp, it's working now. I just, instead of the Original install going Full, put it only Multi-player, and I copied the Install.EXE from the play disc to my local disc.

>.>

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:49:04 pm »
What you could have done is gone to blizzard.com/store and made an account, then you can attach your key to your account and DL D2 whenever you want.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:01:10 am »
Sounds like your CD drive isn't reading your play disk, it may be because it's either dirty or scratched.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:54 am »
It's a problem with either the disc or the data itself. My D2 discs have roughly the same amount and kind of scratches as the vast majority of my other games, but it's the only game to give me fits whenever I want to install.

From what I understand from the Wiki on the topic of Cyclic Redundancy Checks (CRCs), the checks are a binary process to detect data changes via check sums during transmission. If I understand it correctly, the cause of the error either stems from Blizzard using far too complex check sums on their Diablo 2 .MPQs (resulting in easy corruption from tiny scratches), or the discs just have that much of a precise refraction due to them being Windows/Mac hybrid discs (which I doubt due to my Starcraft hybrid discs never having check errors despite tending to have just as, or worse scratches than the D2 discs).

The only other disc I've ever had issues with is a very old Age of Empires II: Conquerors disc, but at least that one makes sense as it's racked up some seriously nasty scratches over the years.
Virus Buster.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:10:10 am »
Eh, I got it working. But we can use this topic for other people to look at when their installs ain't workin'.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:51:32 am »
I had exactly this problem trying to reinstall the Diablo games...

...I'll have another try later on.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.