Author Topic: Anyone playing X3?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone playing X3?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 01:30:12 pm »
No, I didn't. You handed it over, but that doesn't mean I grabbed the thing.

Uh, so anyway, that one game we were talking about. You know, with the space? Yeah, I played a demo of X2 and I really had fun with it, but it was just too lonely. I'd rather be playing EVE.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:03 pm »
i still like freelancer the best

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:57 pm »
As do I.

Freelancer had simple combat while still delivering deep gameplay and semi-shallow trading.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 01:39:22 pm »
and a ''cool'' blond dude who fought jelly aliens

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:27 pm »
Don't diss Trent.

Offline Jimbostein

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 02:45:56 pm »
The use of Starforce is no longer required for X3 (one of the more recent patches removed that requirement and the CD-in-the-drive requirement). Though it is built into the default installation, they have instructions how to install the game without Starforce and also instructions how to remove Starforce from your computer. (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=96802)

I'm not sure if this will work if you're not logged into their webpage, but the manual for the game is located here http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3/patches_en.php?download=144 if you want to know what you're getting into.

Finally, the demo is located here: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3/demos_en.php?download=152 (please note that it does use StarForce).

The 'rolling benchmark demo' is located here http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3/demos_en.php?list=56 if you want a smaller program to see if it'll run on your computer.

I've played the game extensively, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Expansive universe with decent combat (especially when you have a fleet of carriers/battleships) and a good economy. It can be overwhelming in the beginning but once you get the hang of it you can do soo many things. The game community is huge and the game is well supported by its creators. The amount of mods/scripts created by the community is huge (scripts have more functionality, like adding AI to your tradeships so they intelligently buy and sell, or adding software to manage your stations better and such).

The one big issue I have with the game is that it is very slowly paced (but ohh so rewarding). Plan out your big picture, with fleets of capital ships and fightercraft and stations, but like any other conglomerate/empire you have to build yourself from the ground up (unless you cheat...and there are some very good cheats). It takes awhile to get the funds for buying another fighter, let alone a station or capital ship. The advantage of this is that everything you have in the game you earned, but you gotta have the patience to dump all that time into the game (though again, cheats takes care of this issue).

Try out the demo, see if you like it.

Oh! Almost forgot, with the latest patch (kind of a free mini-expansion) the distributer decided to make more copies of the game available to stores so if you don't want to go the Steam route, you can buy it from EB/GameSpot for $19.99 at http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646878 or perhaps your local electronic store has it again.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 05:19:15 pm »
So, being slightly lazy, I'll ask here. Are the controls fo X3 keyboard and mouse or do they require a joystick to play?

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
I played X2 and X3 and they both defaulted to my Logitech game controller.

Offline Jimbostein

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 10:33:43 am »
I play exclusively with my mouse; much like Freelancer the game has decent mouse control.