Author Topic: Movie Awards Season 2008 (SAG, Globes, Oscars, etc...)  (Read 4470 times)

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Movie Awards Season 2008 (SAG, Globes, Oscars, etc...)
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »
any other movie-awards geeks in the house?

(movie award season to me is like the playoffs and the superbowl to NFL fans...)

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Awards Season 2008 (SAG, Globes, Oscars, etc...)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 12:48:18 pm »
so...they pick movies from 2007?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:43 pm »
Which shows have been changed due to the writer's strike?

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:16:47 pm »
My co-workers and I usually watch these together. We opted out of the Golden Globes because it was all but scrapped last we heard. I never did end up seeing how it went. There is a lot of worry that the strike is going to have a repeat in all the other award shows down the road. Did anyone catch the globes? What did they actually show?
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:09:14 pm »
the globes this year was a press conference starring the president of the HFPA stating the winners, and it did really poorly in TV ratings, and was attended by zero actors (the screen actors guild voted to boycott in support of the striking writers).  the only awards show to get a wavier from the writers' guild so far this season was the screen actors guild awards (which are supposed to air january 27).  no word on the oscars yet, but i'm quite sure they're preparing contingencies if not outright offering bruce vilanch a lifetime supply of ben and jerry's.  the people's choice awards aired last week and were completely re-formatted...they had queen latifah introducing film clips of award winners being presented their awards on location.  most critics' choice awards aren't televised.

check the globes winners and nominees HERE:  http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/index.html

you'll note several interesting upsets on the winner's list, and the fact that the winners were spread all over the map.

and yes...movies from the year 2007 are eligible for the awards season for early 2008. 

a full list of the movies eligible for the 80th acadmy awards is HERE:  http://www.oscars.org/80academyawards/reminder/reminder_titles.html

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:11:01 am »
so...why is 300 not on the list >_>

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:48:34 am »
it is. it's listed under the letter T, right before 3:10 to yuma.   ;)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:25 pm »

Other then technical wins, I hope you don't expect 300 to win anything.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:22:52 pm »

Other then technical wins, I hope you don't expect 300 to win anything.

Same here, ya think I Am Legends gonna get any awards this year??
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 08:00:02 am »
i think legend, along with 300, may be up for some visual, sound and editing awards...however...that's going to be a really crowded field this year between things like harry potter 5, spiderman 3, pirates 3, etc. whatever you thought of those movies, those are franchises which have earned nominations and won in technical categories. i would actually like to see a shake-up this year because 300 did something nobody's ever seen before.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »
SAG.. Globes... <insert Brittney Spears bash joke here>

On a serious note, was there anything really worth watching in 2007?

-Lego

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:32:25 am »
(At least you didn't insert a Heath Ledger joke, and thank you for that.  Anyone who is a serious movie buff is truly sad about that right now.)

It depends on how much you like movies, and how seriously you take your love of film...and this year truly had something for everyone.  300, while UNBELIEVABLY overlooked for all the technical oscar nominations, pushed the envelope this year of the fusion between animation and live acting; for action you had 2 worthy titles in the form of Bourne Ultimatum and the newest Bond. This was the best year ever for Judd Apatow comedies, if you like those (Superbad, Knocked Up, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story).  If you are into eye candy, we had Angelina's digitized bosom in Beowulf...but honestly, the eye candy was better for WOMEN this year, what with Clive Owen in both Elizabeth and Shoot Em Up (which was fantastic only because it was also ridiculous), Captain Jack Sparrow (natch), and Viggo Mortenson pulling the craziest nude ninja scene captured on film, ever.  If you are a musician or like movies about music, you had August Rush, Once, and Music & Lyrics (which for people in their 30's was funnier than it had a right to be); movie musicals made another comeback with Hairspray, Enchanted, Sweeney Todd.  Between Ratatouille and The Simpsons, it was a decent year for animation.  And of course anyone into heavy drama had plenty of titles to choose from, too. Which is all a very long-winded way of answering your question, "Was there anything worth watching in 2007?" with...That depends on what kind of movies you like, but this particular year, there was something watchable, maybe even enjoyable, in most categories you can think of.

My favorite movie of the year was "3:10 to Yuma," and I don't even like Russell Crowe, but he was great in it.