Author Topic: Game making Question.  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Game making Question.
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:58:49 am »
Hi all, I have a brief question about making games for the PC, and I figured maybe someone here might be in the business and could answer it. Specifically, my question is about QA. When does quality assurace testing on a game begin? Is it an ongoing process throughout developement, or does it start when the project reaches alpha and beta stages?

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Game making Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:20:08 pm »
QA happens from the moment there's a decent build and even before to some extent.

The main goals of QA are to pick up the bugs and to make sure the game meets the game specifications outlined by the game designer(s). So it's not always a team of testers doing the QA, it can be the developers themselves. A certain amount of QA should be carried out by a software engineer before committing some newly coded module to the main reservoir to stop massive crashes and unexplained random brugs from leaking into the main build but QA testing can be performed by anyone, I've worked for a small company where the game designer himself was also the QA.

At the very very least, QA tests should be done whenever new functionality is added to the main program. This is to be able to easily identify problem code because the bug would appear when the new module is added to the main build
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:49:05 pm »
According to some companies, never. *cough*

Regardless, it should be done as much as time/budget allows for, if you ask me.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 04:55:24 am »
as long as they provide patches and fix the problems after release im happy
i know ppl complain that it ruins your view of a game, but when i like a game i know is buggy, i wait for the patches before i buy it

i believe also that QA also means that the publishers get a build of the game as well as the developers gametesters
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation