Author Topic: FPS: Teamwork???????  (Read 8920 times)

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: FPS: Teamwork???????
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 09:20:53 pm »
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 06:39:30 pm »
It's hard to do the whole teamwork thing when you don't have a mic.  Typing just really isn't an option in most situations.  I mean, sure, there are a lot of things you can do without talking, but for really organized strategies, it just ain't gonna work, and most casual players aren't gonna be dedicated enough to go out and buy a microphone.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 09:21:59 pm »
That, and normally typing "BEHIND US! TANK! TANK! OHSHI-" doesnt make it through nor get read in time.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 04:53:00 am »
i love teamwork as well, IMO SWAT 4 coop is the best multiplayer there is
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 07:50:15 am »
I have a mic, but i don't really have any games where i could use it. (no online FPS's)
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 09:00:45 am »
it feels great when people listen in shooters....but most of the time they just luagh at you if your trying to be smart X_X so stupid

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 03:39:18 pm »
yeah, it helps if u can find regular ppl to play with, but usually you find a decent server
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 07:02:42 am »
Anyone ever heard of Command & Conquer: Renegade? My favourite game despite EA doing a prime example of what they do best on the game, resulting in it being buggy and laggy as hell and obviously unfinished. Yet, the nature of the game (base defense/attack) means that teamwork will always prevail over Rambo-ing (as it was known in ren).

I've seen a ridiculous amount of games in that made or broken by teamwork or lack thereof. Co-ordinated attacks are FAR harder to fend off than intermittent loner rushes.

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:07 am »
I dunno if any of you play Counter Strike: Source, but if by any chance you do play de_dust. It almost requires team work.

This is how most rounds pan out without teamwork:

Terrorists too afraid of losing their guns that they purchased all stop and camp around middle, then the Counter Terrorists hide around the corners with their standard array of M4's and AWP's which basically prevents the Terrorists from moving forward as they are to affraid of getting killed (which in the end is inevitable). The only other route the Terrorist's can take is the tunnel which is normally covered by 1 or 2 AWPers who can see anybody coming through before they are spotted. The round normally ends when the CT's slowly move forward after a few flashbangs and smoke grenades killing all of the T's in a rush that catches them offguard and normally out numbered.

With Teamwork:

Ok basically the Terrorist have it easy, all they have to do is run like crazy! all they need to do is run as fast as they can though middle (where CT's normally camp) this results in normally killing the suprised CT's as they run around the corner to take up positions, keep running and plant the bomb. The hardest part is convincing your team to rush. I find the easiest way of doing it is telling your team to rush and then spamming the "Go Go Go!" button plus there are normally 2 or so people who know the plan anyways.
Once they know that they can win that easy it's all cake.

Basically I find in most games of Counter Strike there is teamwork going on, just most of the time people do it without organising, you'll find in maps like cs_office people rush the ct spawn together without really planning it, they just do it and it's fun.

So ill say if you want a good FPS teamwork game, play CSS. Plus you always stand a moderate chance if you are left by yourself unlike games such as the battlefeild series.

Offline OrdoSanguis

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Ahoy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 12:06:43 pm »
So ill say if you want a good FPS teamwork game, play CSS. Plus you always stand a moderate chance if you are left by yourself unlike games such as the battlefeild series.
You can stand a chance alone in BF. Just don't come across any vehicles, and don't suck  :P
Also, I have rarely been in a situation where I am alone. Usually my squad is with me the whole time, and if someone dies we revive them. If you lone wolf it in the Battlefield games, you will die. Unless you are a sniper or something...

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 12:56:23 pm »
Plus you always stand a moderate chance if you are left by yourself unlike games such as the battlefeild series.

Isn't that the point of teamwork?

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 05:25:56 pm »
No I'm just saying that if for whatever reason you are left alone (weather that be your choice or whatever) you do stand a chance of making a difference in that round, if you can kill 2 or 3 people in a round of CSS it makes a big dent in the other teams ability to win the round through sheer numbers. Where as in Battlefeild you would struggle to make a big difference by yourself.

Just in my personal experiances with CSS there is a lot of teamwork that goes on where as in my short time of playing Battlefeild 2 (more of a 1942 and Nam person myself) I noticed that the game just gives you to much space to breath and people just spread out too much. Having said that though I supose a lot of FPS games could have a lot of teamwork........ it's just finding the right people.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »
I like to play halo on the Ratmass server.  This is basically Blood Gulch with a mod that gives 2 tanks to each side.  That means that instead of only 2 strategic objectives, you have 6: 2 flags + 4 tanks.  The tanks are indestructible, but you can kill the driver.  Any noob can tell that the side that gets all 4 has the clear advantage, but the key to getting them and KEEPING them, is not to just charge in randomly.  In the long run the tanks don't belong to the side that is piloting them.  They belong to the side that has it's spawn sites (and teleport site if it isn't blocked) closer to them.  When you all charge at the enemy base with your tanks (or worse, ONE of your tanks) you're basically just handing them a present.  OTOH, your infantry will respawn in 5 seconds, so feel free to charge the enemy with reckless abandon.  If you do that well enough (ideally all at once) you can actually scare away the enemy's tanks and keep them from flagging.  With proper teamwork you can take out one or two isolated tanks and then drive them back behind the base or behind a hill and set in at knocking out the enemy tanks.  Once you have all of them, DON'T charge their base.  Do not charge the enemy base.  Form a line of tanks around the center and bombard their base, and wipe out any infantry that try to get at another tank.  Park one of the tanks on the enemy teleport site.  Now as the tanks bombard, send in infantry.  You win.

Usually what happens is my side gets all the tanks and charges at the enemy base, and then they get all the tanks and charge my side.  Rinse repeat.  Sometimes one side will do the bombardment from center, and then think they've "graduated" to mobbing the enemy base and they lose their tanks.  Sometimes people will actually use the right tactics.  It's incredibly difficult to break a combination of tanks bombarding from center with infantry attacking directly, and you have to be totally committed and aggressive and be a good shot and know how to dodge tank rounds.  The spawn camper is crucial to holding the line.  He's a sitting duck, because if he tries to move the enemy can send 2 or 3 guys through the teleport and get out of the way before he rolls back over it, and they shoot him up.  You get shot either way, but at least if you hold still, the tank stays there blocking the teleport.  *I'm* the only one willing to do such a crucial job.  I get called a noob because of this.  I'm very tired of fools playing halo, but at least the Rat servers are modded to prevent teamkilling...
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:47 pm »
Savage has a lot of teamwork involved even if you don't really notice it once you've played for a while, and Savage 2 is looking pretty awesome right now.

Tremulous also takes some teamwork because if you leave the base alone you die and bring the enemy closer to the next tech level and if you leave the base undefended you lose. Also, the bases are built by builder units.

Basically, any FPS where death is quick and there are special units that do things with the map.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:29 pm »
If you want a game with great teamwork and you happen to own HL2, dl the mod Empires. Right now, they're between major releases, so everyone who plays is usually pretty experienced. They have a nice little tight-knit commmunity over on the forums and they're always looking for new Emp_Recruits to add to their playerbase. Plus, if you're into clans, they have a couple that are always looking for good players. Even aside from clanning, people tend to work together when playing. Whether its helping to defend a res point thats under attack or assaulting an enemy base with a bunch of tanks, teamwork usually plays a big role into who ends up on top.

Also, for those of you who have played Empires in the past, most of its bugs have been stamped out and it runs nicely. A new patch is in the makings that will improve gameplay, fix a couple extra bugs, add some new shiny graphics and animations, and include a couple other suprises ;-)

Aircraft are in the works as well...