Poll

What era would you like the story to be set in?

The Roman Empire
Weird West
The Rennaissance
The Enlightenment (again)
Roaring 20s
Post-War

Author Topic: The Historical Superpower OOC  (Read 120403 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The Historical Superpower OOC
« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2007, 10:32:20 pm »
Had a better idea, I can make mention of things without having to influence them. It works out well for everyone, I get what I want, you get what you want!

Name: Pascal
Bio: Pascal is a member of a very very old cult known as The Unblinking Eye of the Cosmos. It is a very small group consisting of exactly one thousand members who have been given the task of watching and recording the events of humanity. Sanctioned by a party of concerned individuals at the end of the Mage Wars by, the group's objective is to prevent a repeat of the Wars and keep a running log of all major world events. These reports are archived and then looked over and checked for patterns in magical activity the world over. Through this system The Eye is able to track major movements of magical groups and can decide on an appropriate course of action to take.

The principle tenant of The Eye is 'Watch, Record, and Report'. A member of the Eye is forbidden to influence events unless it poses a direct threat to himself, his report, or if the action is seen as detrimental to those who wish to cause trouble through the use of magics. The killing of a person is generally not the way a member of The Eye will deal with a situation, instead opting for some method of incapacitation or simply escaping the scene. A person of significant rank can not be killed under any circumstance without an official decree. Such decrees can be issued on the fly as each member of The Eye is monitored via various forms of clairvoyance and telepathy.

Members of the eye have no deep relationships and are not high profile member of society. They wear dark purple robes and are minimally equipped as far as weapons go. If encountered a member of The Eye will not reveal any personal information except for their name and they do not expect the same in return. Members of The Eye are adept Temporal Mages and have a handle on many of the skills required to stay hidden. Every member of The Eye carries an enchanted stone tablet that instantly transports their writings to the Library of the Cosmos for archiving and examination. This tablet is an extension of it's bearer and will only work for it's proper owner, if the owner of the tablet is in danger, they can scrawl down a code word which will automatically teleport them to safety.

Powers:
Slow Down
When your job is to observe, sometimes things may happen faster then you can write them down. With the Slow Down technique, a member of The Eye can slow down the events around them in order to properly observe just what happened. While this technique is used for observational purposes only, it has it's uses in the field of battle. These uses are limited however, seeing as it takes a few precious seconds to properly prepare the spell.

Blink
Blink comes into use when there is simply no way that a member of The Eye will be able to record something, even if things are slowed down. With Blink, the caster records a perfect mental model of an area and the event that took place within it. Later, when the situation has cooled down, the caster can enter this recording and walk around in it, safe from harm, to record everything that transpired.

Total Recall
With the master data banks of most of human history in the safe keeping of The Eye, a member can easily and instantly go through this library of information and pull up anything at a moment's notice. It is very useful when you are trying to get a read on a person who had played an important role in things in the past, or when you are just trying to pick a lock to get into a room.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:18:29 am by PatMan33 »

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 14, 2007, 11:15:52 pm »
What tim does this take place in? And what kind of heroes or powers are recamended?
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 14, 2007, 11:26:12 pm »
Is there a primer I can read to understand the setting?

There seems to be a lot of secret societies and I can't tell who does what and why or to whom.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 14, 2007, 11:29:12 pm »
Is there a primer I can read to understand the setting?

There seems to be a lot of secret societies and I can't tell who does what and why or to whom.

Yeah, that's what stops me from joining alot of RP, i don't know what happened allready or how im supposed to act. Also, I tried joining many other RPs, but Im gone a couple minutes and suddenly there was a whole 10 page climax.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2007, 03:34:43 am »
This takes place in the November of 1888.  Powers can range pretty wide, but keep a lid on them for this era (no throwing cars about or anything that can knock over a building), League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and The Amazing Screw-on Head are good examples of era appropriate heroes.

I'll get a post on the history of the rp world up later.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2007, 04:15:18 am »
Name: Martin Hepec( Yes,an ancestor of Josh.... ::)))

Does he have any powers?
If you want to keep them a surprise then you can, but its better to have them down on paper from the get-go to avoid confusion later.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:58 am »
You know... you probably don't need to give them the most elaborate descriptions ever, as most of it they don't need to know.

Just the name, their alignment, and a sentence or two about what they do.

Also (For the new people) I just made up The Eye so there's nothing you need to know about it other than what I just wrote down.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2007, 08:55:20 am »
Ok, here's all the back story you should need:  A long time ago (thousands of years) magic was at its peak, they had the magical equivalents of what people in the sixties thought now would be like.  Then the mage wars happened, and that civilization was destroyed so completely that there are only legends and a few scattered artifacts to indicate they ever existed.  The wars were caused mostly by two cults, one which followed chaos (the Breakers), and one which followed order (the Order of the Celestial Wheel), both of which worshiped elder being embodying their elements.  These cults were for the most part destroyed, but have sent the time since the mage wars making grabs for power in secrecy.

Of course your characters don't have to be involved in any of that, or even know about it.  We usually have these things set up so anything you need to know can be picked up as you go.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2007, 09:35:58 am »
Right, I was waiting for any word on this character before I posted.

Are you guys okay with it? I'm pretty sure it doesn't conflict with the previous things that have been stated.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:47 am »
Yep, so long as he doesn't go off to the archives and start reading out the history of the mage wars it's fine.  Strictly speaking so was the other, you just needed to cut all the details for the war from the bio.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2007, 10:01:12 am »
Oh of course, if he looks up anything it would just be on an enemy or maybe a tactic to use in a situation... or just to tell a story.

I won't even touch the Mage Wars.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2007, 10:09:41 am »
Then you've got no complaints for me, though I may have to pm you at some point about certain details you can and can't know about the villain.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2007, 10:13:07 am »
Of course.

And of course, I can always say that Pascal can not reveal some bits of information to the... regular people. :P

Part of Pascal's character is that he is absolutely obedient to the rules.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2007, 12:57:18 pm »
Anyone thinking of joining, but deterred by the amount of backstory we have already, feel free to PM any of us with any questions you might have. Otherwise just dive right in, we're always looking for new people.

Oh, also: Voting time again!
Read through the list of prospective eras (including the new one I added  ;)) and vote on the setting for our next story.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:12:13 pm by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2007, 03:18:13 pm »
I find myself torn between the middle ages and post-war, I have good heroes for both of them...