Poll

What era would you like the story to be set in?

The Roman Empire
Weird West
The Rennaissance
The Enlightenment (again)
Roaring 20s
Post-War

Author Topic: The Historical Superpower OOC  (Read 120415 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Historical Superpower OOC
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2007, 04:46:34 pm »
The first post should make things clear enough villain wise.  Putting it together now.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2007, 04:46:51 pm »
Oh yeah, since the Wild West part has been trashed, are the characters we established in that still be considered canon, or will they not exist as far as RPing is to be concerned?
Virus Buster.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2007, 04:53:40 pm »
I am still counting Matthew, he is part of the Likely Family Tree.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2007, 04:56:55 pm »
Maybe I should have clarified that Matthew and Stranger/Outcast would have been exempt, as they already existed (Matthew on the tree, and Stranger as a vital character from the main RP).

But in light of things, I think I want to keep Johnathan in as a character in the world, I like how he turned out. :)
Virus Buster.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 14, 2007, 05:00:45 pm »
Ok, well. Here's my character.

Name: Lucius Pleasant
Bio: Lucius Pleasant was a brilliant young (in fact, the youngest ever) member of the Royal Society in London. His speciality was the subject of neurology and in hindsight it became apparent that his expertise in the field was many decades ahead of its time.
For some time Lucius had been working on a machine that would enhance the mental capacity of higher animals using electrical and magnetic fields. Tests on lab rats had proved positive, the animals were able to solve various tasks much more effectively after treatment, and the effects seemed to be permanent.
Unable to find a human test subject that would have themselves subjected to the intimidating device Lucius decided to try it on himself. Of course, something went horribly wrong.
Lightning struck the roof of his townhouse and coursed into the generator supplying power to his machine. Wildly fluctuating fields of energy coursed through his brain and permanently altered him.
Lucius had not only vastly increased his intelligence, he had also activated dormant parts of his brain. When he concetrated he could percieve the thoughts of others, he eventually found that he could telepathically communicate suggestions into the minds of the weak-willed, and even cause them to lose conciousness.
All this came at a price. Lucius had permanently lost the ability to sleep.
Although initially he rejoiced in his newfound abilities he soon recognised them as a curse. Each restless moment became increasingly uncomfortable, light stung his bloodshot eyes, and even relatively quiet sounds would cause him to wince as though his head had been struck with a mallet.
As his behavior became more eccentric and his work suffered he was cast out by the Royal Society and all his former friends. Unable to find a source of income Lucius was eventually evicted from his home and forced to wander the streets of London. This he did for one day only, as he soon attracted the attention of the Other secret society.

Powers
Sleeplessness: Lucius has permanently lost the ability to sleep, this includes artificially enduced states of unconciousness such as those caused by chloroform or head trauma.

Telepathy: Lucius can concentrate intently enough to hear the thoughts of a person. This can be less useful than it would seem, as most people's heads are a jumble of random musings.

Compulsion: Lucius can compel a weak-willed or dull-witted individual to do whatever he wishes him to... within reason.

SLEEP!: Lucius can cause a person to fall into instant and dreamless unconciousness at will.

(note: all of the above require a close degree of proximity)

Edit: If you're wondering, Lucius is the cousin of Octavius Pleasant. I'm retconning the backstory for Octavius so that he dies in 1890. At the time of this story he is a charlatan medium playing to sell-out crowds in London under the stage name of Uriah Geist. He and Lucius look relatively similar so if anyone else's character wants to bring it up as a talking point then that's fine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:39:46 pm by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 14, 2007, 05:42:04 pm »
There we are.  Not the most extensive opening, but it sets the stage.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2007, 05:47:24 pm »
Right. I'll make an introduction for my character and the Other Royal Society.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 14, 2007, 06:07:02 pm »
Name: Alexander DeCaith

Bio: Alexander DeCaith is the latest to inherit the DeCaith Spellbook. His affinity budded almost as early as his ability to read, being able to create simple illusions soon after being taught the language of the book from his father.
Ever since being introduced to the book, most of Alexander's free time has been devoted to the book. As such, he had few friends through school and had a hard time holding down a stable job. His last job was as a dockworker, fired after one too many crates were damaged.
The last crate was a mixed blessing to Alexander, for a small trinket fell out and he pocketed it out of spite to his former employer. The trinket was a small golden object of an irregular triangular shape, indicating it was probably broken from a larger object. Forgetting about the object until he sat down at the spellbook that night, he learned that it was a magic amplifier. On that same night, he fashioned it into a necklace, and experiments with it, as well as the book.

Powers:

Magic: Thanks to the DeCaith Spellbook, Alexander is able to use all of the spells made and known by his ancestors. The DeCaith Spellbook was handed down from father to firstborn son, starting with Edward to his son.

Exceptional Concentration: Due to having a high interest in the Spellbook, Alexander learned to take advantage of any free time, despite all other distractions, and concentrate on the book. He practiced this ability whenever possible to increase his time on the book.
Virus Buster.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 14, 2007, 06:43:56 pm »
Ooooh... cool characters everyone.  ;D Here's mine, fully researched to be fitting to the time:

Name: Morton Hall

Bio: Zachary Quant's great-great-great-great-grandfather, (yeah, it all started 6 generations back) Morton Hall was born into a time of scientific unrest. Charles Darwin was becoming a major figure and the theroy of natural selection was gaining proponents. An open opponent of evolutionary theroy, he was contacted by one of his peers to embark on a last ditch attempt to discredit Darwin. He was to travel to the Galapagos and draw his own conclusions from Darwin's evidence. The hope was that he would formulate a second theroy that would challenge natural selection as an explanation for what Darwin observed. Morton did so, but on the return voyage he fell deathly ill from a disease he had contracted on the islands. The crew did their best to care for him and eventually got him home to London where he recovered in a hospital. The disease had not only devastated his memory of the last few years, erasing all knowlage of his anti-Darwin theroy, but had also subtly altered his genetic structure... Deemed a dissapointing failure, he was expelled from the Royal Society and now lives off the money he had saved...

Super Power: Shape Shifter: Self explanatory. It is on a hair-trigger and it takes most of his willpower not to shift into the first thing his waking mind thinks of. He prefers to use his wits in tight situations for fear of not being able to become himself again.

Why? Cause he fits better here than in a post-apocalypse RP :P

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:55 pm »
Pat...  No.

You just retconned the entire mage wars.  The Keepers?  After I've established the Breakers as supreme chaotic badies?  And you gave details to the whole thing, it's supposed to be a cryptic thing that's referenced but never expanded upon.  You want to make a character who was around way back when?  Go ahead.  A powerful soldier from the Breakers (this Keeper nonsense ends here)?  That's fine and dandy.  But you sure as hell don't expound upon how they ended or magic a new cult out of nowhere.  What you did was equivalent to me making a post saying that Richards mother was a hobgoblin from venus who ate her other children and that his father was made of Xeno fuel.

And while I'm here, lets get rid of this delusion that Order were nice guys in the mage wars.  The chaotics were evil bastards, the orders were evil bastards (I'm sure Sam would back me up), and the Custodians were slightly less evil bastards who prolonged the most devastating wars ever by years just to make sure that neither of the former won.

Sorry if that came off as angry, but I get touchy about my creations, and the Breakers are in that category.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #610 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:46 pm »
Sorry sorry, I'll redo it tomorrow... maybe tonight if I feel like it.

Thanks for saying something though, that's why I asked.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:09:55 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2007, 09:11:09 pm »
Could I make a character?
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2007, 09:12:15 pm »
Go for it!

Although this RP might be a little different the the Post-Apocalypse RP. We run a very tight ship here, as that little exchange Neo and myself just had will show you.

:)

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:26 pm »
Name: Martin Hepec( Yes,an ancestor of Josh.... ::)))

Profession: Wanderer

Personality: Brilliant,Insane

Bio: A previous solider of fortune, he was bunked down near London in a gully with his friends/accomplices. They were supposed to kill someone named Alexander DeCaith and steal a trinket on him. One of his friends shot him in the back twice and killed the rest of the mercenaries. He then stole the reward from the chest and fled. After laying in the gully, drifting in and out of life. While this was happening, he was experiencing horrible dreams involving monsters from the stars. After he woke up, he seemed fine and had almost no memory of his bloody dreams. All he remembered was a strange thing, as big as a mountain, of claws,teeth and wings. He dismissed the dreams until, five minutes later, he staggered into a cave. What he saw there drove him to insanity and madness. He now wanders the street, staying hidden at all times and convinced the thing is after him. Those who have seem him sprinting down alleyways have described him as 'seeming to think he's being hunted....'. He kills anyone in his path to escape the things in his mind that pursue him.

POWERS: Stealth: Hides in the shadows, in fear of the things that stalk him...

Gunman: Is extraordinary gifted with guns due to his past experiences.

Monsters: Can see things that others can't.....

((In case you can't tell, I'm drawing from H.P Lovecraft here))
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:57:29 pm by Little »
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:07 pm »
A hit is out on Alex's head already?

Wow, those dock masters are fast on tracking down and recording small pieces seemingly useless gold items that disapear from crates.
Virus Buster.