Poll

What era would you like the story to be set in?

The Roman Empire
Weird West
The Rennaissance
The Enlightenment (again)
Roaring 20s
Post-War

Author Topic: The Historical Superpower OOC  (Read 120236 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Historical Superpower OOC
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 05:06:23 pm »
Because I'm such a nice guy, heres a free idea for a character. Only take it if you think you can do it justice:

Mme Guillotine.

Ta-daa. Perfect for the period, and with pretty self-explanatory motivations and powers.  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 05:20:19 pm »
Does the superhero RP have the same rules as the 'I'm going into the story!' thing? Like... we can't say in our posts what the other (human) characters do?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 05:40:51 pm »
Yes, unless you expressly ask their permission via PM, or, if youre lucky enough to be the villain, you can sometimes say what happens to another character if it interferes with your plan too early in the game. However, theres a long waiting list to be a villain and only people who have proven themselves responsible enough to not abuse their godmoding powers are allowed to be villains. (we decide by consensus, mainly)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 05:42:20 pm »
I'm hoping to join! I'm kind of a noob RPer but have some ideas of what I want to do.

Name: Gif (just Gif)

Bio: A young yet adept mage, he has been orphaned since before he can remember. His parents were victims of one of  the numerous diseases of the era. An aging magician took him as his apprentice, seeing something in Gif and taking him off the streets and raising him as his own. He quickly learned the ways of the magician, very quickly in fact, with a large library of information at his disposal, and continued learning thus until he was 17. It was then that his adopted father had died in his sleep, likely of old age.

Having nothing else to do, Gif sealed off his former master's dwellings, gathered his few belongings, and set out on his own. He left for England, mostly on a whim. He hopes to find a new life with his learned skills, and refine his skills. Carrying with him a rather large tome of random knowledge and an old and small sword in surprisingly good condition he found in his former residence's storage, he arrived in England.

Personality: Being mostly secluded from the world since he was a child, he has a somewhat naive personality. Since most of his knowledge is from books, he has little real world experience.

Powers: Being quite adept at magic despite his age, he can cast a multitude of simple spells, but with a touch of unpredictability with his somewhat brazen casting. He is also a master of improvisation, and can create a new and original spell in a matter of seconds, yet even he doesn't know if it will always work the way he imagines it.

I hope I did everyting right, and am open to any suggestions or changes or flaws in my character.
Also, I think I'll need some help drawing my character into the story...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 05:55:56 pm »
Ok, since theres a lot of interest in this thread thanks to Pat's shameless advertising the hero:villain ratio is getting quite big. I'm therefore putting out a call for someone to volunteer to create a villain to be Pat's character's lackey or henchman.
This would entail making a character that doesnt conflict in idiologies with Pat's too much (Pat's villain is the grandmaster of a cult of Order followers, so no chaotic characters please) and would have to be happy with doing as they are told.

If youre interested PM me or Pat with an idea for the character.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 05:56:56 pm »
I like your character. It's just what we are looking for.

Also as a note to the rules of play, if you are fairly certain of a character's manner of acting, you can (If you must) write in some lines and actions for them to move the story along but you can not do anything detrimental to that character or have them do anything detrimental. Only talking or walking down a hallway or something.

So you can write in things for other characters but don't do anything you would not want someone else to do to your character.

Oh yes, yay advertising.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 05:57:45 pm »
Name: Zacchirea Swer
Bio: Zacchirea was twiddling his thumbs in his room one day when it struck him. He quickly sketched down a design for a pair of spring powered jumping boots, inabling him to jump almost 12 meters high. He soon built them and began touring them for money in English towns, until...
He was having an ordinairy show, nothing special, when he jumped around the 3rd time he saw two men dressed in black ripped clothes trying to break into a house. Zacchirea, being a good man, jumped over the crowd and toward the men. He caught them by their clothes and in shock, he jumped them to the gaol. Soon after he joined a traveling show as "The Human Frog!".
Powers
Far Jump and Fast Running
Because of his boots.

Well... Theres my guy! :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:59:54 pm by Gunner »
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 06:09:57 pm »
I hope I did everyting right, and am open to any suggestions or changes or flaws in my character.
Also, I think I'll need some help drawing my character into the story...

You could say the old man was a friend of my character, and give him a visit where they meet on the road.  Just tag along from there, if you don't mind him getting called whipper-snapper.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 06:17:56 pm »
Name: Robert Dominick Cote

Bio: Robert Dominick Cote was born in rural Rhode Island to a religious fanatic father and smallpox infected mother. After his mother died when he was young, his father began pressuring him to become a priest as he was. However, young Robert was more interested in stories and nature than his father's stuffy "God" character. He played along for most of his life, before becoming old enough to go out on his own. So he made his way to the city, but quickly found that work was hard to come by for somebody who was never an apprentice. So, he took a job unloading ships at the docks. It was a very mundane life he lived, until one day when a marauding ship of scalliwags came. It was a bit rare to see pirates around these parts, so Robert was quite interested in what he saw. While msot of the loaders left, Robert directly approached a crew member and joined.

For the next decade-or-so of his life Robert sailed the high seas, raiding everywhere from the Mediterranean to Africa to back in the US. He eventually rose to the ranks of First Mate. He was a powerful and admirable foe, never actually suffering more than a scratch. All was fine, until one night when the British royal forces came. There was a large bounty on him and his crew, and they weren't going ot let them off easy. The ship was destroyed that night, every crewmember killed. Except for Robert. He floated on a piece of driftwood for a while, until being picked up by a stray Rhode Island whaling ship. He rode it back to the US, and once there saw an old face, his father. He was acting as a traveling priest, converting hundreds during the Great Awakening. Suddenly, it all made sense. Never getting hurt, surviving the blast, and then finding his father again. It was a message from the God Almighty that he too, has a purpose. He must get his message out to those unbelievers who once took the same sac religious path as he did.

He soon discovered that God's power was all loving. He could use his faith to heal the sick. This converted many, especially those he managed to save. But the Great Awakening was dieing here. The Enlightenment, which taught horrible things like "Science", was taking hold. He had heard that there might be more luck in Europe. So, he hopped on the next ship to England.

Personality: He's usually the last one to get into a fight that he sees, preferring to go in after and heal the victims. He's quite good at navigation, and knows a lot about most of the world. His gruff side from the pirating days comes out in extreme conditions, but he tries to keep it under control.

Powers: Holy Gift- Perceived by him as a gift from god, it's actually nothing but everyday healing magic. Can heal external wounds easily, and harsher wounds over time.

Swashbuckling- He still remembers what he grew up on. Probably one of the few priests to know his way around rapier.

Navigation- Can pilot a ship fairly well and find his way around.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:22:13 pm by Malt »
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 06:21:53 pm »
This is the age of Enlightenment, I'd imagine that the US and Rhode Island have not been discovered yet.

Although I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. ;)

Other than that it's great!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:23:36 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 06:26:14 pm »
This is the age of Enlightenment, I'd imagine that the US and Rhode Island have not been discovered yet.

Other than that it's great!

The first successful English settlement was at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1607, followed in 1620 by the Pilgrims' landing at Plymouth, Massachusetts, then the arrival of the colony of Massachusetts Bay, started by the Puritans. In 1609 and 1617, respectively, the Dutch settled in part of what became New York and New Jersey. In 1638, the Swedes founded New Sweden, in part of what became Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania after passing through Dutch hands. Throughout the 17th and early 18th centuries, England (and later Great Britain) established new colonies, took over Dutch colonies, and split others. With the division of the Carolinas in 1729, and the colonization of Georgia in 1732, the British colonies in North America—excluding present-day Canada, and the loyal colonies of East and West Florida—numbered thirteen.

I assume that time is pretty fluxuatable, just generally 1700's, so yes, the USA and RI existed.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 06:26:58 pm »
Yeah, this would have been around the time of the War of Independence.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 06:28:16 pm »
The 17th Century is 1601 - 1700 actually...

But it's fine. Don't worry about it too much. If you don't change it try to avoid references to Rhode Island then. :P

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »
According to Wikipedia (and the dates) America was colonized during the Enlightenment Age, as well as Thomas Jefferson being an important person during the time. I think we can still chose if we want pre-American colonization or post.
Virus Buster.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 06:29:32 pm »
The 17th Century is 1601 - 1700 actually...

But it's fine. Don't worry about it too much. If you don't change it try to avoid references to Rhode Island then. :P

Eww, I guess I'll try to rewrite it then but whatever.