Author Topic: Batman Begins  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Begins
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 12:36:16 pm »
Well, i just went to see it... and i loved it.  I don't compliment movies easily either.  The "dark" aspect of the movie really appealed to me.  I'm sick of all the predictable, "fight for good against evil" nonsense - let's have some dark, malevolent superheroes please!  Batman Begins gives just that.  I can't even fault Katie Holmes' performance - she plays the PC secretary who "fights for democracy and equality" that everyone hates perfectly.

As for the voice changes, i think it was necessary.  He didn't want her knowing it was him at first - don't you think the girl would've sussed it out earlier that Batman was in fact Bruce if she had heard his real voice?  Like you're not going to remember how your childhood friend's voice sounds...

But yeah, very good movie - can't wait for the sequel!  I usually hate superhero movies, but man was that 5 well spent!

Offline zod

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • deviantART profile and gallery
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 07:39:47 pm »
Batman Begins was indeed a monumental film and it was one of my favorites ever.  I don't agree with the idea of it being the best comic movie ever, as I think that title goes hands down to Sin City (a perfect word-for-word adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic novels).  Begins was very much what it said it was, a brand new beginning.  The showing of the Joker card at the end was not meant to tie it in with Tim Burton's Batman (you'll remember that at the beginning of Burton's film Joker was still Jack Napier and didn't have the alter ego or theatricality at that time), and it's been publicly stated that Batman Begins is a complete and total relaunch of the silver screen franchise, we are supposed to forget the previous 4 exist (which, in the case of the last 2, is not hard at all).

I think there's another movie in production being directied by Frank Miller based on his comic Batman Year One. I heard Batman Begins was just like Year one though because it shows how he started so the movies will be really similar.

Frank Miller directing the next one is *possible*, but highly unlikely, at least not without a co-director.  Miller is first and foremost a novelist (and a very gifted one at that) and had the help of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarrantino for Sin City (and even then he was only a co-director / consultant) so it's very doubtful he will be the sole director for the next Batman film.  Besides which, Batman: Year One was one of the novels that were used for inspiration for Begins.  One of the working titles for the film was, in fact, Batman: Year One.  As for you saying that it was a horrible movie, that's fine if you really believe that but if you're going to come onto a forum and say something like that, at least have courtesy to say *why* you didn't like it.  Please don't try to be a downer and bring down everyone else who genuinely loves or just enjoys the movie, that's just rude and uncalled for.

I simply cannot wait for the next Batman film to come out, I'm just glad that we'll have Superman Returns, X-Men 3, V for Vendetta and possibly even Sin City 2 to tide us over until then.  Should be another fantastic film.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 02:40:28 pm »
Best movie of the year and the best comic book movie ever. It blows Sin City(vastly overrated POS) out of the water.

Offline zod

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 06:06:15 pm »
I don't mean to pick on you or attack, just out of curiousity, why did you think it was so horrid?  So far I haven't ever run into anyone who didn't love it so I've never gotten that perspective.  Mostly the part that I loved about it was the visual treatment, it was exactly like reading the novels, just with a lot less work on my part since it's played out for you.  For anyone who reads a comic / graphic novel like they watch a movie, it was perfect.  The way that color and negative space were used as something like spot color was just excellent and the timing, narration and pacing was masterfully done.  I'm really interested in hearing your perspective on it, perhaps you noticed quite a few things that I overlooked.  Hard to notice the bad when you're smitten by the whole thing, after all.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 12:32:37 am »
This was the worst Batman movie ever.

why do you say that? this movie is being hailed as one of the best, if not the best batman movie ever

I agree (with DevilMachine) that is one of my all time favorite movies of all time!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 05:08:50 am »
1 thing I didnt like about it was they tried to make it more down to earth and realistic (to an extent :P) but they neglected the fact that a microwave weapon would also vaporise the water in the human body (that isnt really a spoiler, dont worry people)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 06:23:08 am »
Mask of the Phantasm remains my favourite Batman movie, but Batman Begins is definately the film the comic book fans deserved after all the other awful live action movies.

Chrsitian Bale did a fantastic Job.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 08:38:52 am »
BATMAN BEGINS!

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline zod

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 09:40:38 am »
Mask of the Phantasm was a very excellent Batman movie, I agree.  That would be either my second or third favorite Batman movie (competing with the original Tim Burton release for 2nd).

Offline 5pectre

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Eurocorp Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »
I saw it last night and have to agree with you. I'm going to try and see it again but I really think this might be my favourite of all the comic book movies. Burton's 1989 Batman will always have the nostalgia factor going for it but this movie had so much substance. They took the myth of Batman and instead of shaving him down for a mass audience, they expanded upon him. Great acting (I even had no real problem with Katie Holmes) and wonderful directing (aside from confusing melee) and Batman just doing his awesome crazy thing. I will recommend this to any and every one. I was afraid that I had overhyped myself for this movie and for once, I'm glad to see that I probably couldn't have. I'm done now. -leeman

I'm with you, BB is as near to perfect as we are ever going to get for Batman on film, but I don't see what the big deal is with Katie Holmes? Everyone was hating on her for her role in this film but I don't get it - she was fine. She only had a (relatively) minor role and she filled it adequately.
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

Offline 5pectre

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Eurocorp Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 04:09:18 pm »
I think that movie was just...great....it was one of the best movies I saw this year....
But after I watched it I was like: "Ah I wanna watch Batman Begins 2 ! NOW ! ahhh"
I heard they are going to make a trilogy..anyone heard about that ?
I mean, do they really want to make a Batman Begins 2 ? Isn't it supposed to fit with the
"first" movie with the Joker ?
Anyway, I want a new Batman movie just like Batman Begins :D

NO, it is NOT supposed to fit with the 'first movie'. It is a complete restart to the franchise and in no way at all connected to the Burton/Schumacher movies.
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot