Author Topic: Very Abstract thought here  (Read 30459 times)

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Very Abstract thought here
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:29:18 am »
now i know we can have war like creatures but do you think it would be possible for some of the smarter sentient creatures to control other creatures (like horses)?

I got my name from a computer monitor

Offline Huasat

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Very Abstract thought here
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:32:21 am »
doesn't seem that abstract to me...  ;)

And, in my (un) informed opinion, the answer is most likely:

maybe.

We do know that the "UFO" can be used to abduct and modify other, non-sentient creatures. Thats one example of a control over other beings.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:33:42 am »
like it would be a cool feature for an expansion pack (if EA has any say in it) and it would also change how we would play the RTS style game. I think it's abstract just because i doubt it will be done :P

P.S.

i didnt want posts like "that's crazy" or "he's gone TOO FAR"

:P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 08:35:57 am by Syncmasterk »

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:43:09 am »
Interesting.  I think this game is past the, "Wright's gone too far" stage.  I don't doubt that this is a consideration for the game.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:43:35 am »
Why would it need to be in an expansion, and why does everyone keep saying that? Think about it a domisticated animal is just an animal who's behavior patterns have changed to accomodate the dominance of a different species. Sounds like something that is well within the programing of the AI they talk about.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 08:45:45 am »
Why would it need to be in an expansion, and why does everyone keep saying that? Think about it a domisticated animal is just an animal who's behavior patterns have changed to accomodate the dominance of a different species. Sounds like something that is well within the programing of the AI they talk about.

Because if there's one thing i loathe about Maxis it's that they are adamant that for each little change or "new feature" they add into games an expansion pack needs to be made.  But i doubt they will go so expansion pack crazy for Spore, it's too big for all that.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:48:37 am »
Yeah this thought came about because i wonder how smart the sentient beings will be and how they will adapt to situations. will they be able (if they do not have a weapon) to use a stick as a weapon things like that

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 08:49:08 am »
Eh, I just don't see the whole expansion thing coming into play for this game. Especially for such mundane things like your creatures having sheep and stuff. I'm sure there will be stuff that they realized they could have added. Hopefully they will realize they have this established database they use for everyone else creations and they just send us the updates through that.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 08:52:55 am »
I would love little "data patches" which give us some nice little extra features, that would be cool.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 08:55:49 am »
They'd be fools not to have 'em. EVERY other Massive Online Game out there does. I just don't see a "Spore: Pets" or "Spore: University" out there. heh, "Spore: Universe" and you though one galaxy was tough to manage  ;)

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 09:32:34 am »
They'd be fools not to have 'em. EVERY other Massive Online Game out there does. I just don't see a "Spore: Pets" or "Spore: University" out there. heh, "Spore: Universe" and you though one galaxy was tough to manage ;)

Spore isn't an MMO though. That being said nor was The Sims yet they added expansions. It's hard to see what they would add in an expansion as you start as a microrganism and end up traveling the universe in the initial release. I mean you can't add more planets as they area ll ready all there as far as I can tell, you can't add new species as you can make them all yourself.Any expansion IMHO would have to add a new concept to the game itself rather then updating something that already exists, ie the domesticating of creatures would count but there would have to be a tonj of other stuff to to make it worthwhile.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 09:34:36 am »
I didn't say it was an MMO, MMO's are multiplayer.

Offline Achereon

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 10:36:32 am »
I wonder if there's different sexes in the game. And if you would be able to see the difference between a male and a female.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 11:43:59 am »
I was wondering about reproduction, does EVERYTHING lay eggs? From what I've seen I'd guess so. I suppose Will Wright decided on that cause it's less messy.

Offline Achereon

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 11:58:21 am »
I was wondering about reproduction, does EVERYTHING lay eggs? From what I've seen I'd guess so. I suppose Will Wright decided on that cause it's less messy.
I guess I won't be able to create humans then...

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 12:11:52 pm »
I didn't say it was an MMO, MMO's are multiplayer.

Sorry I meant MOG.

Well I wouldn't class it as a MOG as as far as I am aware there isn't an online option for playing only for uploading and downloading data so technically that doesn't make it an online game.

That's of course assuming MOG means what I think it does, Massive Online Game?  ;)

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 12:15:21 pm »
I don't know but uploading and downloading stuff constantly off of a large database sounds pretty online too me, atleast enough to classify it as an online game, it's certain massive, and a game...

Offline legameboy

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Meep!
    • View Profile
    • Echonet
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 12:30:54 pm »
The term to the general public though really just means Pay-to-Play. :p

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 12:34:08 pm »
You could have humans, humans who lay eggs. Like in the Mario Bro.'s movie, now let us never speak of it again. He made a Care Bear, I'm about 99% sure Care Bears don't lay eggs. I think they're born in sun-beams and jars of honey or something.

Offline Quantum

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • "I'm just a bean trying to get some sleep..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 12:37:16 pm »
Please, I don't want to think about the care bears...

*shudder*
--Quantum

Offline Achereon

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 12:41:23 pm »
You could have humans, humans who lay eggs. Like in the Mario Bro.'s movie, now let us never speak of it again. He made a Care Bear, I'm about 99% sure Care Bears don't lay eggs. I think they're born in sun-beams and jars of honey or something.
Humans laying eggs... :-\
That sounds pretty disturbing.
But since we won't see any difference between male and female(if there even is different sexes)I wouldn't make a human.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:08 pm »
Yeah i would see no reason to make a human if i can make "THE GREATEST CREATURE MY MIND COULD EVER FATHOM"

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 12:44:19 pm »
I do cause it'll be tricky!

Offline Achereon

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 12:53:40 pm »
Has there been any words on different looks for males and females?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005, 01:00:26 pm »
Not that I've heard of. In the picture of the two creatures mating they both looked the same, cept one was on the bottom.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2005, 11:30:07 pm »
I didn't know why people are saying they can't imagine expansion packs in this game.

This game has features that cross all the genres...  I think it was said in the podcast, perhaps in a reference to someith will wright said, "this isn't going to be simcity its going to be simcity lite... not a RTS an RTS lite."

My point is expansion packs filling out each of these areas.

Also the actual outer space part of it is limited in that you have a ship and you click on planets the end.  They could certianly add more content there, space battles or what have you.

There is PLENTY of room for them to milk this cow.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 04:07:10 am »
All we know of the outer space right now is you can use the SETI device to determine other inhabited plants that have reached the industrial age. He did talk about battling the one planet with his UFO and finally havign to retreat and nuke it. Any content they would add for the tribes and city eras would have to be purely mechanics, we create the objects. I can't imagine Maxis making an expansion just for game mechanics not when they could just upadate us. They've always been huge on adding more objects, and now that's our job.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 11:45:20 am »
"Can't imagine them making expansion packs when they could just update us"

I can think of a very good reason, MONEY.  Look at some of the early sims expansions like houseparty.  Besides some new items you got the ability to do some tasks with others and organise parties.  Thats it.  And it was an expansion pack.  People bought it.

We are talking about a business here, if they can profit, profit they shall.

The question is would you pay for an exapnsion? I know I would, hense it shall come.

Also consider that the server will require more maitenance then the other downloadable content oriented games they've had... more of an incentive to milk some cash now and then.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2005, 11:57:43 am »
How would u like to get a GAME OVER! from a care bear race?

lol losing to care bears, that'd be both funny and sad.

If they did add an x-pack they'd prob add more phases cause tribal to modern is missing some stuff inbetween ain't it.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2005, 02:39:58 pm »
although you have a good point realise in the explaination of the game he "skipped ahead" in his demo a few times... so that filler might be in there.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2005, 04:52:36 pm »
Could be worse, you could be losing to the my little ponies, and their evil galactic overlord, Rainbow Brite. Ultimately, you may have to allie yourself with the lesser of two evils, the rebels, led by strawberry shortcake.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2005, 05:01:14 pm »
Could be worse, you could be losing to the my little ponies, and their evil galactic overlord, Rainbow Brite. Ultimately, you may have to allie yourself with the lesser of two evils, the rebels, led by strawberry shortcake.

Losing to Care Bears from the Planet Caring and Sharing.
Or happy pink ponies from the Plain of Happy Ponies.

Which would I rather lose to?
lol

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2005, 05:27:20 pm »
I think I'm going to puke.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 02:23:27 am »
Houseparty added a ton of content, if it wasn't for that. I doubt they would have done it. My thoughts on EA aren't very good but I'm pretty sure they aren't dumb enough to come out with pointless expansions when the trend is to do updates. Look at Star Wars Galaxies, the features they have added in their updates is astounding! I'm not even going to go off on every other game like that. When itnernet conectvivity is there and fairly constent updates are the way to go.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 11:57:38 am »
yes but you pay a MONTHY FEE to get star wars galaxies updates....
Just because its possible to come out with constant updates...  Wheres the profitability in the continued server costs?
I understand the sims has downloadable contend and all that but its not the focus of the game...  This game is different.

Likr it or not theyre going to get money out of this somehow beyond the original buy, if not through expansion packs then possibly a $ for k of data... I pay 5 dollars and can download this much info... You never knw But I can bet anything they will find a way.

Offline SABscope

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 12:02:40 pm »
^^As much as I hate you for saying that, you're probably right.^^
And the annoying thing is that we will buy it anyway. We will line the pockets of the EA big-wigs, and that is what is wrong with the game industdry. I really hate middle men, even if that isn't really what EA is, I still hate this ####. Crap, thanks a lot, now I'm really pissed off.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 01:10:41 pm »
I think the notion of paying for data from the server is -- though a valid thought in the light of MMO games -- not applicable to Spore. Will Wright has made it clear that the game DEPENDS on user-created content. The game is merely a tool to make and spread this content. As is the case with Sims 2, the server for storing racial and behavioral data will most likely be free for all, because where would be the sense in denying access to a fundamental part of the game? The marketing and financial types of EA might drool over that possibility, but it would cost the company a great deal of credibility and what little goodwill they have left after the personnel scandal of not too long ago.

They will certainly put out add-ons, for that has paid off with Sims, will pay off with Sims 2, and the pattern applies to Spore. I don't see the problem with that, and such is EA.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 02:04:12 pm »
I agree with you, expansion packs are the most likely way, I was just pointing out another method.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 02:40:10 pm »
yes but you pay a MONTHY FEE to get star wars galaxies updates....
Just because its possible to come out with constant updates... Wheres the profitability in the continued server costs?
I understand the sims has downloadable contend and all that but its not the focus of the game... This game is different.

Likr it or not theyre going to get money out of this somehow beyond the original buy, if not through expansion packs then possibly a $ for k of data... I pay 5 dollars and can download this much info... You never knw But I can bet anything they will find a way.

If The Sims sold 40 million copies (i bought 1 of em) i think spore will sell about 20+ mil. $50x 20 mil=1 trillion dollars. and thats if they only sell 20 mil which will sell more. and who knows how much EA rakes in a year. Even with that much EA would probably try to get every nickel and dime they can get(If your from EA u just didn't read that).

I bet they pay ppl 50k a year to look for loose change on the streets :D.

Offline kushinagi

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • The Ruler of the Flightless Birds
    • View Profile
    • Blunder of Zelda
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2005, 11:22:17 am »
Yeah, but if there are 20million users of Spore, then there is 20 million users to accomadate. And you got to account for costs. For instance, what you pay for the game isn't what EA was paid for it. And they marketed it out at a price so they'd at least make profit off the game after paying all the nice people who made it. So it isn't greed, it's staying alive and making profit.
Mummy, why am I short and cuboid shaped? Is it a result of millions of years of evolution which have taught us that this is the best shape for survival.
No Timmy, its so our god Scipion can stuff us into tanks easily. Now go to sleep, for tommorow we must go and hunt pornography-on-legs
-Agent Zero

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 07:45:38 pm »
Seeing how long this game is going to stay around, what with it's replayability, they might try to milk it with a monthly fee. If not just to cover server maintance.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 07:49:06 pm »
It would also depend on what kind of sever we're talking about here, how many, and how good they are for the maintaince cost.

I'd personally be pissed off to pay $5 a month for other ppl's stuff.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 07:52:51 pm »
The fee isn't really meant for the equipment, it's meant for the guys who maintian it. Without the, it would all come crumbling down pretty fast.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 10:05:36 pm »
What if instead of a server it'd be all p2p. If all the categorizing can happen client-side, maybe this would be an effective way to support the community with no real cost. Course, I don't really know how feasable this is... but since this is the 'abstract thought' thread, might as well let the ol' noggin do its thing. :D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 04:14:57 am »
What if instead of a server it'd be all p2p. If all the categorizing can happen client-side, maybe this would be an effective way to support the community with no real cost. Course, I don't really know how feasable this is... but since this is the 'abstract thought' thread, might as well let the ol' noggin do its thing. :D

This is a very good thought! If the content stays on the player's computer, and merely indexed and categorized on a central server (according to size, "whackiness", other factors), then that minimizes the load and server interference in content exchanges between players (sharing content with friends was mentioned elsewhere as one of the big points of Will Wright's philosophy).

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 04:48:53 am »
Urrgghh. It's sooo hard having to wait for more information with all these unconfirmed ideas floating around. :P

Anyway. P2P is a great idea for content sharing, I mean every p2p program out there has proved that it's fast and efficient. I just wouldn't be sure about EA letting loose the control over content that a server based system would provide.

That's another idea onto the "wait 'till E3" bin...
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 08:28:52 am »
Oh-ho, no. P2P wouldn't work in this situation, methinks. (I love that word!)

The system as stated populates your world and buy menus with objects from a central server by rating. Aside from the fact that it's explicitly a 'central server', there's no way that a P2P environment could support a RELIABLY RATED set of game objects.

The closest I can think of is just counting the number of different systems with that object in them and using that as a rating. But even then, there's (A) no content control and (B) no multiaxis ratings. If I'm building Care-a-lot, I don't want a freaking Grendel waltzing in just because it's 'rated high'.

To give the player enough control over selection would mean making the player wade through tedius volumes of creatures and objects he not only doesn't want, but most likely doesn't even like to look at.

No, in order to appeal to the more casual gamer, it has to have a centralized server. It could STORE data in a P2P network, and the central server could simply be a massive ratings system that directs your system to download from some other system. That, I might consider. But there will always have to be a central server.

-Craig

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 09:33:20 am »
No, in order to appeal to the more casual gamer, it has to have a centralized server. It could STORE data in a P2P network, and the central server could simply be a massive ratings system that directs your system to download from some other system. That, I might consider. But there will always have to be a central server.

Yeah, that's what I meant with the index of creatures being server-side. If I'm not mistaken, some P2P programs already used a similar system. Was it Kazaa? Or Napster, I might have them mixed up.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 09:42:35 am »
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

-Craig

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 10:39:34 pm »
I think it was Napster, in its original incarnation. No idea what's happening with it now though.

For the record, I really distrust having to pay per month for anything. Especially a game. Spore would be the first game to force me into it :P

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2005, 12:36:01 am »
As much as I don't want EA having my credit card info, I'd give it too them.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2005, 09:35:15 am »
... Using credit cards can be hazardous to your health.

Now debit cards... that's a different story.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2005, 01:25:07 pm »
Theres nothing wrong with paying subsciption fees with credit cards.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2005, 03:06:02 pm »
you apparently have no problen paying a monthly fee for continued ISP service... you pay a fee to access the internet via the servers... why are you adverse to playing a game that leyts you "surf" content for your game continually?

Offline kushinagi

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • The Ruler of the Flightless Birds
    • View Profile
    • Blunder of Zelda
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2005, 03:13:47 pm »
I do hate the idea of paying for a game, then continuing to pay for it month after month
Mummy, why am I short and cuboid shaped? Is it a result of millions of years of evolution which have taught us that this is the best shape for survival.
No Timmy, its so our god Scipion can stuff us into tanks easily. Now go to sleep, for tommorow we must go and hunt pornography-on-legs
-Agent Zero

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2005, 05:32:56 pm »
Oh, yeah. I meant debit card, but it workds like a credit card for paying for online stuff.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2005, 08:08:24 pm »
For me it's mainly the fact that it all ends up going to the publisher rather than the developer.

Offline your name here

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2005, 08:37:34 pm »
Countless online games are still free to use. And, that's gaming servers. The file sizes for spore are small. There's no reason you should be downloading any more than a meg. Plus, if it isn't constant updates, there shouldn't be any need for payment. But, this is EA we're talking about.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2005, 10:03:22 pm »
I understand how you feel about the publishers, but consider that without publishers we wouldn't have games.

Consider that the size of the staff to make a game rivals that of a movie.  All those people have to be paid for YEARS of development before the game even generates any income much less profit.

If it werent for a publisher footing the bill all those years before the game is released few games would be made...  Unless you want to work for no pay for 2-5 years so that MAYBE your game might generate enough profit to pay you.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2005, 05:17:55 pm »
Hopefully there won't be a fee, but if there is it should be very small like $4.95 a month. They don't need UBERSERVERS

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2005, 05:19:55 pm »
Well, the game could probably run even without an internet connection because if I am currect, it only pulls architecture and creatures off of a server.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2005, 05:21:25 pm »
If anything it should be like a dollar or 2 a month.

Also you don't even need to internet conneciton to play, but it allows u to get other ppls creatures instead of the game content.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2005, 05:22:13 pm »
So then, if included, a fee would be completely avoidable.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2005, 12:26:08 pm »
For me it's mainly the fact that it all ends up going to the publisher rather than the developer.

If I understand correctly how the business works, I think the developers only get paid if the publisher's make money. I believe Steve alluded to this in his last podcast, but I may be wrong.

But then again, I don't really see Spore having a monthly fee, because it doesn't seem like it'll operate any differently than The Sims 2 as far as acquiring content is concerned.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2005, 01:14:22 pm »
Plus, the downloads are small. The game might only download content if it absolutely needs to.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2005, 01:17:13 pm »
I really don't want the game to download EVERYONES creatures, that'd still be hell on dial up. I really don't need like 20 million creatures in game.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2005, 01:18:15 pm »
Maybe we can pick the creatures that we download?

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2005, 07:15:22 pm »
Somehow I get the impression that the game only downloads creatures when they're needed. So if you're on a planet with 2 other races it'll only pick the 2 creatures to download. When you get to view the solar system it'll only download the number of critters that you can contact at that point. I also don't think most players will be playing Spore worlds that will be populated enough to even download millions of creatures, although it'd be cool to have the option ;D
- Will Shriner

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2005, 07:26:23 pm »
We'll probably have the option, at the start of a game, to choose what other creatures are used in the game. In a broader sense though.

[X]-Default, Original creature sets that come with the game.
[ ]-Personal, Creature sets you (the player) has created. Supplemented either by Default or World sets.
[ ]-World, Creature sets made by other players, downloaded from the Database according to your playing style (however that's gonna work).

Just a suggestion.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2005, 07:27:24 pm »
I'd still like for you to only download creatures that you like. I don't want my galaxy to be an adult galaxy.....

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2005, 08:08:04 am »
Technical notes:

Happydan20: Not true. Games existed before publishers, games exist without publishers, and when publishers are replaced by marketing-only agencies, games will still exist. Publishers are just best at selling LOTS of a copy of a game. At the moment.

Zealousy: Generally, a developer gets paid to develop a game, then also gets paid royalties. However, the royalties usually don't start kicking in until an absurd number of copies are sold, because publishers count cost of development and distribution against your royalties. :P

-Craig

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2005, 08:38:43 am »
I just thought of the biggest reason why there won't be a monthly fee: the sims online was a complete failure, the number of people who bought the sims online didn't even come close to the number who bought the sims. The regular expansions of the sims/sims 2 generate a lot more revenue then the subscription fee of the sims online. Both EA and Maxis would certainly choice the options that generates most revenue and that option is clearly the expansion based model and not the subscription based model.

Games like NWN have proven that people are willing to pay for content, even when they can make content themself. There are much more player made presige classes and modules, then bioware made ones yet did many people bought the NWN expansion pack(otherwise wouldn't they have made a second expansion pack).The first expansion pack of civilization 3 contain except multiplayer quite nothing that players couldn't make themself, yet did people bought it.

I can defenitly see a holywood based expansion pack selling well. Even if players can make that themself would they still buy the expansion pack. Each expansion pack could also contain a few gameplay additions, to lure people in(the holywood expansion pack could allow cities to build movie theatres, that would make your "people" happy for example). The gigantic scope of this game also means that there are gigantic possilities for expansion packs.

They could for example have an expansion pack that allowed people to make pet's for there inhabitants. Or they could have an expansion pack that allowed the creation of insect hives.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:41:19 am by kolpo »

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2005, 09:41:55 am »
Is there even a chance that the game won't have an expansion pack?

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2005, 09:45:57 am »
There will be an x-pack, if EA can decide what to put in it.

The Sims Online sucked period. The houses were divided into 8 categories and people would only go to Skill and Money lots and the Skill and Money lots kept getting the new content. It went on a year and I finally got sick of it and quit.

I really don't want a Hollywood x-pack,that'd be so dumb in game, unless they could make it work which I can't think of a way it would.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2005, 09:49:23 am »
A hollywood expansion pack, in Spore?  ;D That's simply insane..... maybe in TS2 or SC4......

say, we could use an abbreviation for Spore....

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2005, 09:53:18 am »
The Sims 1 did the hollywood thing, and i don't think Spore will.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2005, 05:12:17 pm »
That would be a very weird ex-pack if so....

Maybe a weather themed expansion pack. How will your species survive the latest ice age?

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2005, 05:22:07 pm »
and planets made up of just ice.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2005, 05:32:13 pm »
Or planets made of cotton candy?  ???

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2005, 07:34:45 pm »
Well, I'd like to see gas planets!

Close enough isn't it Shadow?

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2005, 11:53:07 am »
Well, just without the sugar, anyway.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2005, 04:31:09 pm »
Nonetheless, how would you feel if you went over to a friends house and looked at there Spore galaxy. Right there tied to a post was your creature, completely domesticated. That would be quiet a blow to the ego.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2005, 04:42:37 pm »
Well if I went over to my friends house and saw my creature domesticated.

For one their my friend and if they knew that that was my creature then they were just being dumb and did that on purpose sence they were trying to get on your nerves.

If they didn't know, then it could of been really really dumb luck.

Maybe if you saw some random person you didn't know with your creature domesticated.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2005, 11:22:45 pm »
If a creature has made it into sentience i doubt it could be domesticated, so, if your creature was domesticated it would be an earlier/less developed form.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2005, 07:45:16 am »
Now with the possibility of an X-box version, how likely are expansion packs going to be?  The only x-box game I know of with expansions was Morrowind and they were geographically linked so you could change the disc.  Any ideas?  I could be way off.  -leeman

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2005, 09:00:53 am »
X-box may not have x-packs. The Sims 1 did the consules and PC versions different and the consules had no x-packs.