Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 785303 times)

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #4695 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:31 am »
on the same subject, what the **** happened to text walkthroughs? why is every walkthrough a video walkthrough? (essentially a lets play??) I'm in the middle of playing a game, I don't want to stop and scrub through a video looking for the right time.

Even hackmud, a completely console based game, has only video walkthroughs for the story section. AAH!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4696 on: October 15, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »
GameFAQs still exists and is going strong!!

I have another traffic-related gripe but need to draw the picture. So I dunno when I'll post it. :U

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: October 15, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
on the same subject, what the **** happened to text walkthroughs? why is every walkthrough a video walkthrough? (essentially a lets play??) I'm in the middle of playing a game, I don't want to stop and scrub through a video looking for the right time.

I ****ing hate this trend. Even looking up something as simple as "where to put file to make thing work" gives me some youtube video of some nasally voiced nerd hoping to make it big on youtube by explaining every ****ing step of extracting a file from an archive.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4698 on: October 15, 2016, 04:38:51 pm »
Worse yet is when you're stuck with youtube instructions and the guy doesn't want to/can't do voice so they open up a notepad document and type instructions in text.
like oh my god I am reporting you for terrorism that is retarded
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4699 on: October 15, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »

I live in an area with lots of roads with one lane going in each direction. Above is a drawing of a standard US road. Double-yellow line in the middle represents the lane separation, the white lines on the edge represent the curb side. The brown is sidewalk and the green is grass. The orange arrows indicate the flow of traffic, but otherwise do not represent something actually painted on the road surface.

The two red dots are pedestrians walking.

My township has spent a crapload of taxpayer money to put sidewalks in everywhere. Everywhere. They did this because the residents demanded it. We've got all of these new sidewalks in place all over the township and nobody ever walks on them. They still walk out in the street like they did before. And they almost always walk with traffic instead of against traffic like you are supposed to. AND they are always in pairs or groups of three, walking side-by-side so that there is no hope of traffic being able to get past. And this image doesn't account for streets with parked cars on the side, trash cans and recycling bins, and other obstructions.

These ****ers. They spent almost the entire budget to have these sidewalks put in and they don't use the sidewalks. They walk next to the sidewalk, on the road. And they get uppity with me when I slow down next to them (obviously coming up from behind so they can't see me to begin with) and tell them to get onto the sidewalk and out of the road.

This ****. You want to know why I have little hope for people and society? It's **** like this. They bitched and moaned. They got exactly what they wanted. They still do the dangerous thing they did before and the whole ****ing appeasement project amounts to a outright waste of taxpayer money.

This. ****ing. ****.

I'd run them down if I could get away with it.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4700 on: October 15, 2016, 07:12:14 pm »
I prefer the personal touch. People can and will just wave off the horn.

No, I make sure they see my face, that I have their attention, and I tell them to get onto the sidewalk and off the road. You have people doing this **** at all times of day. During the rush hours, during lunch hours, and even during the middle of the night while wearing all black clothes. (this ****... I try so hard to do things right and these ****s bumble through life without a care in the world and not an iota of the stress I carry)

Nope. If these people don't care about their own safety and their LIFE, I don't mind being a little terse while I'm saving it for them. Unless there is someone behind me. I'm not about to hold up traffic even more. Our job as drivers is to be safe and to create a safe driving environment around us.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4701 on: October 15, 2016, 07:30:55 pm »
The worst I see are bicyclists blowing through stop signs and/or not waiting for the crosswalk lights to change.

This is actually the companion issue to my pedestrian issue. Follows the same line of thought, too.

Car + Bike = Bike rider dead

WHY DON'T YOU STOP AT CROSSINGS AND INTERSECTIONS?

At the end of the day it comes down to me caring more about a person's life than they do, apparently. Maybe having experienced traffic-related loss of life before, I have a better perspective than them. But your life is the most important thing you have. At least try not to lose it.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4702 on: October 15, 2016, 07:43:54 pm »
That's the most bizarre behavior and I've only seen it a couple of times that I can remember (though we don't have a lot of bikes going on out here, practically zero bike lanes).
It's confusing to me that people take these kinds of risks on the road, whatever vehicle they use.

and pedestrians need to stop jaywalking
i see children doing it now too it's stupid
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4703 on: October 15, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »
I think it is good for everyone to see some footage of a human being wiped out by a car, or to see the aftermath of terrible accidents. Just something to demonstrate to them that they are fragile. Yes, your bones are hard. Yes steel is hard. One of these things will smash through the other like a knife through butter though. /r/watchpeopledie has its uses.

Best I could find, but this is the kind of demonstration that really made me start focusing on this stuff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3EnZZ7XYA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3EnZZ7XYA</a>

Just a basic M80. Your body is going to behave the same way as that chicken's. BE CAREFUL.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4704 on: October 15, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
I am the dork at the 4 way stop waving cars through before I get moving on my bike again.  I have to be careful at crosswalks because when I stop my bike, other bicyclists might run into me.  Most motorists will straddle the double yellow to pass a bicycle in my area, so at this one semi-blind turn, I get completely off the road if a car is coming up behind me and I see a car coming the other way.

Perfect. You are ****ing perfect.

You ride your bike, you take account of the areas you drive through, and you adjust your behavior to ensure the maximum amount of safety for both yourself and others on the road. It's not that hard.

The glaring problem here is that most people don't pay attention to a terrifying degree.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:11 am »
seems like this might be a good time to revive eurothread

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: October 16, 2016, 04:18:07 am »
Pat I think possibly the people that wanted sidewalks built are not the same people now not walking on them :P

That said, as Tesla seems to be pointed out, your stories are not doing much to dispell the idea that America has an above average percentage of astoundingly stupid people.

Maybe if you'd regulated your auto industry more in the 30s they wouldn't have systematically eliminated sidewalks.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: October 16, 2016, 05:59:04 am »
Maybe if you'd regulated your auto industry more in the 30s

yeah, PAT

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: October 16, 2016, 08:07:28 am »
Get off your high horse Emmet. You should never have let the English exploit your agriculture and force you into only cultivating potatoes.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:41 am »
at least I didn't get the chinaman hooked on poppy flower