Author Topic: what did you do today  (Read 21248 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do today
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »
No that's a design feature, they need to be able to steal milk from nearby schoolchildren to keep their resevoirs charged.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:39 pm »
Today I got the experience a road raging semi-truck driver. We were at a merge point at a crawl. The guy was revving his engine to intimidate people in his 18-wheeler. I was ahead of him and in front of him. There was only enough room to my left for a tiny car. So Mr 18-wheeler climbed up  the curb and slow ground his way down the left side of my car. tearing up the tire, taking a chunk out of the tire, and bending the rim.

However, once the cops arrived, there were no witnesses, so it'll be me-vs-him. No-fault state. $500 deductible. Good thing I have no love for this car, a half a roll of duct tape and a quick trip to Maypop Tires (Yes, they are a real place... used tire (he even found the same make and size in the pile), unbent the rim, mounted and balanced, $40.... I tossed the guy an extra $20 for dropping everything to help me. ) and we are back to a semi-normal, but banged up, car.

-Lego

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2016, 06:20:25 pm »
If your car was in it's lane and his truck was on the curb, that should be easy enough to prove, right?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »
We were beyond the merge point, a place the State Trooper described as 'no man's land'.

We were going 1 mph tops.

My point on view: I was merged and we were moving forward slowly

Truck drivers view: I was moving forward and the car pulled in front of me.

The fact that the truck had to climb the curb to avoid directly rear-ending me should be a point of contention. However, lacking video evidence and witnesses, and my need to move to even get out of my car, means the stage is no longer set to prove the situation. Even if I had stayed where I was, the trucks slow, grinding, shove down my side would have put the whole thing in doubt to anybody that had not directly witnessed it. 40 tons of truck can punt a 3800lb Saturn Ion like a soccer ball. The slow grind by the driver of the truck was intentional, in my opinion, to alter the view.

The trooper did say he would be reviewing the traffic cameras, but that is a BS bluff really, both of us knew it was to get a reaction to try and pin blame. I smiled, the truck driver said nothing. That is all subjective and a Trooper has better things to do than cast judgement. Really, the Trooper tried to deescalate the situation with every other phrase, but both of us are professional truck drivers, so it was almost lost on us.

Still, it was cool to see a level-headed trooper, even if I don't agree with him. Never argue with the cop, that is for the courtroom.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2016, 01:17:10 am »
I can't even respond to this story appropriately, I'm absolutely enraged at the details and find it unacceptable. Untenable. I can say with certainty that I have no idea how I would have reacted in this case.

How ****ing hard is it for people to just follow the rules when they drive? This story is egregious and makes me ****ing sick. Truck drivers are the CEOs of the road, in my mind. They are to be held to a higher standard as their job is to be a professional driver. I expect better from truck drivers and also would hold them to a higher standard than regular drivers.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2016, 01:21:52 am »
Truck drivers are the CEOs of the road, in my mind. They are to be held to a higher standard as their job is to be a professional driver.

Well, see, there's your problem. CEOs are not held to a higher standard than anyone else most of the time. Their do terrible stuff and then shrug and say "I didn't know my employees were doing anything wrong" or "I was just trying to make out shareholders a profit".

"I was just trying to get my cargo to its destination on time"

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2016, 01:23:14 am »
You approach my comment as if I didn't choose my words carefully and lay out an very thinly-veiled implication as to how I think authority figures should behave. I know exactly what I said and how it sounds. ;D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:28 am »
You suck McBain!

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:58 am »

Offline Rysworld

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2016, 01:33:34 pm »
You didn't have a smartphone you could've taken a video of him on?

That really sucks, man. If I were you I probably would've been angry enough to get out and break his window or at least threaten to.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2016, 02:40:57 pm »
You didn't have a smartphone you could've taken a video of him on?

That really sucks, man. If I were you I probably would've been angry enough to get out and break his window or at least threaten to.

This phone wasn't easily accessible and nothing would have been recorded in time to be of any value. What video I did take is screwed up, I must have double-tapped the icon and didn't notice in the sun glare.

Threatening violence would have had me in cuffs first while the cop figured stuff out.

My insurance company (State Farm) says they don't want to hear about it unless I want to file a claim, the other guy's insurance company called me to get my story. Gee, they don't match. I sent them photos of the side of my car and in the interview I told the guy to take note of the damage as the lug nuts ground down my car. The other guy is filing a claim, which seems odd to me given that it did almost no damage. They can fight with my insurance company, that is what I pay them for.

-Lego

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2016, 05:28:08 am »
Idiots on the road is why my Dad has a dash cam. Both the wife and I hate tail gathers and anyone else with no sense of space on the road. I really hate those who think they can intimidate you by driving right up your own arse. For those people I'll halve my speed and you can be stuck behind me. I'm in no hurry to be anywhere.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2016, 07:06:13 am »
What does he use? Any recommendations on dash cams from you or anyone else?

I'm planning to get one.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:46 am »
Today I went to my office to celebrate someone's birthday party and we drank sangria and ate cake. It was fun. Then I went out to play Pokemon Go all drunk and jolly, and it started raining. It kinda felt like taking a shower with clothes on.

Also one of the king ideas we had involved taking a picture of everyone's genitalia and putting them up on the website instead of our portrait photos. So yeah. In any case, I will soon have my face on their website as well.

Offline PatMan33

• King of All Cosmos
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2016, 10:43:09 am »
Was it a work day or just a visit? Sounds fun!