Author Topic: DVD Only  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
DVD Only
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:10:25 pm »
There seems to be a flame war about this over on the GameSpot forums, so I figured I'd ask it here... Do you think this game will only come out on a  DVD disk.. or do you think It will be both CD and DVD,,, I am thinking that it will come out on both like the Sims 2.. what do you guys think?

Have a lot of Sexy Time with the American lady... a very nice!

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Only
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:21:00 pm »
I concur. While I like to buy my games in DVD format, I beleive enough people still use CD-ROMS to make realeasing it in both DVD and CD worthwhile.

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:24:25 pm »
Exactly.. though DVDs do run more efficiently there are alot of people still with CDROMS. Someone said that those who have CD drives won't be able to run it anyways. I custom built my comp, 1.5 gigs of ram, 2.6 ghz, 256 mb DDR Graphics, etc but I have only a CDROM. Now, I should run it aye? Plus, what are most games made in these days? CDs..... I believe, since the requirements will be that like the SIMS 2, that this game will have 4 CDs....

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:29:59 pm »
Well if you can't, then you can buy it, and then download it from the internet. I mean, you've already paid for the game, so does it really hurt that much?

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 01:35:45 pm »
Well if you can't, then you can buy it, and then download it from the internet. I mean, you've already paid for the game, so does it really hurt that much?

unless there is no CD key, it does not.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 01:41:10 pm »
personally, id rather just buy the game... gives a sense of ownership.. plus if it gets deleted you a bit screwed... I don't think there is a valide argument in "This game will only come out on DVD" though.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 01:46:18 pm »
I will be buying it for DVD (unless the release date is after the CD version, like TS2) but I should think it'd be out on CD and DVD, even though you can get DVD-ROM drives for about a tenner nowadays
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 01:48:34 pm »
not to what ive looked up.. they range from 30-50 dollars (20-30 pounds if I am correct?)

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 02:03:03 pm »
I would bet good money it will be available on both formats - not all PC owners have a DVD drive and if SPORE is as scalable graphically as everyone seems to think then it makes no sense from a financial standpoint to limit the release format to a single medium.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 02:04:13 pm »

actually...

If you buy it, you have the cd key. You can download it and it's not a problem. BUT if you're using a torrent and you're uploading that's the illegal part.

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 02:06:07 pm »
torrents rule :D But, I have to agree papa, it isn't economically smart nor fair just to release it in that form. I believe that they would be loosing money correct? Plus, we all know that EA needs as much money as possible

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 02:08:21 pm »

actually...

If you buy it, you have the cd key. You can download it and it's not a problem. BUT if you're using a torrent and you're uploading that's the illegal part.

Not according to most EULAs - technically you dont "own" the software so fair-use does not apply to illegally downloaded content.. However - it's kind of like drug enforcement laws - mostly they are interested in the pushers not the users. The real target are those who make pirate copies for profit.

I have downloaded an app or two in my time - and if I really like it - I buy it. So illegal downloads do have certain advantages with certain users.

torrents rule :D But, I have to agree papa, it isn't economically smart nor fair just to release it in that form. I believe that they would be loosing money correct? Plus, we all know that EA needs as much money as possible

Yep - all EA needs is more money - those poor guys..  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 02:10:14 pm by papaboom »

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 02:09:22 pm »
Content takes up most of the data in a game.
Since there's very little of that in Spore, a CD should hold it.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Hunter

• Defender Devotee
  • Borat A Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 02:10:08 pm »
yep.. plus will all the compression they should be able to do, it shouldn't be a problem

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 02:12:38 pm »
Content takes up most of the data in a game.
Since there's very little of that in Spore, a CD should hold it.

I really hope that's true - it would be so nice to open a game with one CD to install instead of 6. Speaking of this - what's the projected file size for a single item of content (like a creaure) - something like 5k or 3k? How many creatures could you fit on one CD? How many on a dvd? Gazillions probably.