Author Topic: The Ni'Calls  (Read 76293 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ni'Calls
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »
CALLAN INGENUITY: Turning Calla from Planet to Power Plant

Calla has become a great experiment in terms of power. Often on a highly developed world like Calla, the world begins to strugle with power consumption needs at one point or another. This problem had arisen on Calla doubly, as it has, not only an explosive population, but a booming manufacturing industry. Its location in the heart of the Ni'Kaklan'Shara Nebulka (The Bino form of the word "Nebula", in modified Standard Galactic-Khurithanese, adopted purely for the ease of their Bino allies pattern of speech.), means that it can be difficult, and sometimes deadly, for large bulk freighters to enter the system, as volitile fuel and such can act very badly in a nebula, especially when all traffic is crowded into three ten-kilometer-wide space lanes, a size which can just barely accommodate all the traffic Calla receives normally.

As a result, Callan engineers resorted to untried and untested methods of power generation, gravitic reactors, extraspatial phenomenon harnessing, some otf the most interesting systems thought of. None had done well in very large numbers, however, and the engineers were forced to turn to a more conventional method of power generation: a nuclear fission/fusion reactor. And not just any reactor, this would be the most monumental in history. For the reactor would not be artificial, but almost entirely natural! They turned to the molten core of their planet, using a controlled gravitational charge, into a dense, reacting, proto-star. Inside Calla, supported by 20 large gravitational attractors, which perform the dual purpose of supporing the star in the center of Calla, and cycling heavy material to fission reactors at the surface. Both energy sources are collected by both heat and light, with massive mirros and heat conducto coils arranged all around the star and fision reactors, very much like a Dyson Sphere. The systems power all of Calla and plans are being put in motion to export energy to Khuris, Zessus Prime, Beyon, Shudariadne, Tanariadne, and several other planets.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2010, 09:39:51 pm »
Sweet!  ;D 8)

Also, once we perfect long-range energy transfer, the Talsenreve could potentially be able to travel the Multiverse without the need for refueling!  ;) :)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »
Yes!

Hmm... Quantum linking? A quantum-lined powerline, that could work maybe...

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »
Under the same principle as mid-FTL communications, eh?  :)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »
This looks promising. I enjoy having power.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:59 pm »
Someone's gonna try and tap into the lines aren't they?

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00:39 pm »
More out of greed than true need, for you see, we have a sun that renders your efforts outdone.

The CASUR artificial sun is so powerful, in fact, that it propels the ship. CASUR is shaped like a maple seed, with a steering membrane where you'd expect and a massive solar sail on the front. There's a focusing system that concentrates the solar radiation to blow the sail and move the ship forward.

That's the weakspot.  :-X
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:02:58 pm by art_is_a_mathform »
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:38 pm »
Wow, it seems that most people don't realize that a Dyson Sphere is supposed to be a loose collection of satellites in a spherical pattern orbiting a star.

Anyways, it looks like Ni'Calls are very inventive and big-dreaming. And low on red tape, considering how they could build that. No, wait, it's a technological union; of course they could build that. The government is run by scientists.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2010, 11:54:56 pm »
"For the Ix!"

Kudos to those who get the reference!  ; )

There's a focusing system that concentrates the solar radiation to blow the sail and move the ship forward.

Also, wouldn't that cause the star to drift away from the CASUR?

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 19, 2010, 12:04:55 am »
There's a focusing system that concentrates the solar radiation to blow the sail and move the ship forward.

Also, wouldn't that cause the star to drift away from the CASUR?

It works, because it's science. And science is magic. 5000 years of building and calculating (starting at a solar level, to boot) cannot be constrained to the meager lifetime of humanity!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 19, 2010, 12:56:24 am »
Uh, hah hah, no. 5000 years of building and calculating at a solar level TO BOOT is constrained by the "meager" lifetime of humanity. Everything here follows the laws of physics, minus that one or two special things each race has that slips out A LITTLE. Science is not magic. The line between science and magic blurrs about the time your race ascends. And trust me, you've got MILES to go before then.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2010, 07:39:28 am »
The Ni'Calls would have loved the Aii'ethyr I guess. :)

Not anymore I think. MWAHAHAHAHAHHAH! *foreshadowing*

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2010, 08:30:57 am »
Wow, it seems that most people don't realize that a Dyson Sphere is supposed to be a loose collection of satellites in a spherical pattern orbiting a star.
I meant Dyson Shell.
Anyways, it looks like Ni'Calls are very inventive and big-dreaming. And low on red tape, considering how they could build that. No, wait, it's a technological union; of course they could build that. The government is run by scientists.

Indeed!  :D

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2010, 10:04:54 am »
You guys turned your Planet into a nuclear power plant? SHREDDER!

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »
You guys turned your Planet into a nuclear power plant? SHREDDER!