Author Topic: Guitar Hero 4  (Read 7041 times)

gec05

Guitar Hero 4
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:12:19 pm »
So I read the latest article from GameInformer. Very promising.

Although it may not surprise you that GH will follow the method of Rock Band, accusing it of ripping off Harmonix isn't quite fair. Vocal singing existed before with games like sing star and karaoke revolution and drumming games were in various arcade games years before. It's nothing new. In fact, before GH3's release the idea has been percolating. One project they were working on was Drum Hero which they decided would roll over into GH4. Their drum kit promises to be quieter, very durable, wireless, and a 6-drum setup that is adopted from standard MIDI drum sets that are out in the market. Their new guitar will also sport a new input feature that will change the gameplay. They didn't reveal what it was but they're patenting it. Other features include a custom character editor that may rival the Sims 2 body shop. Even more custom guitars, drums, even a custom band logo similar to how emblems are made in Halo 2/3. New game modes, more tracks from popular and classic bands. But the most interesting thing is that you can write your own song in the game. That's right! Knowing me, I love a good application that allows you to be musically creative. This lets you bring in friends assigned to an instrument that can be modified with plug-ins like distortions and reverbs. You can write in the notes as you play and basically make up your own song. It nearly rivals programs like GarageBand. You can even upload them, get rated for it by other players, and gain a ranking for how good or popular your songs are. This facet of the game will have a major impact on how well it does compared to Rock Band.

I think this will do well against Rock Band. Even though Harmonix is pretty much dominating right now, there is definately a lot more GH4 will have to offer. The only thing it needs is a cheaper price point that Rock Band and I'm sold.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:13:58 pm by Gec »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Guitar Hero 4
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:43:31 am »
http://kotaku.com/5010423/guitar-hero-world-tour-the-press-release

interesting article...the music making thing looks cool

although i dont want the drums...they make me look more geeky then i am...i hope you can just buy the game loosly

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:01:25 am »
Personally I think they look better than the Rock Band ones.

OF COURSE I WOULDN'T KNOW FOR SURE SINCE ROCK BAND STILL HASN'T EVEN ****ING COME OUT YET, YOU ****ING HARMONIX BASTARDS.

Apparently it's out tomorrow for 360, but of course everyone else in this continent gets shafted another two months.

As for Guitar Hero 4, frankly its Stairway or GTFO. I know there'll a hundred thousand user-made versions of it, but they just won't be the same as the real thing.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:39 am »
If they allow for custom songs and make the last few sets fun (instead of impossible) I'll consider buying it.

Offline d3ft

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • In your box playing your games.
    • View Profile
    • Team Contest the Leader - A Halo3/CoD4 XB360 Clan
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:57:42 am »
It seems to me that these guys need a really big gimmick this time around. Something huge. Something that will stop making the GH's seem like expansion packs. And hopefully they will make it harder, did anyone else notice that GH3 was easier than GH2? On the XB360, btw, I haven't played the other versions... maybe it's just me...  ???
I will put a sig on as soon I have something interesting to say.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:18:37 pm »
I just got Rock Band and I was crushed seeing that sweet GHIV drumset. I don't really care about the song making thing, I'm practically tone def, but those drums are just to good to pass up. Only problem is you know that they're not going to be compatible with rock band  :'( The one thing I'm hesitant on, is the downloads. When I bought GHII for the 360 I thought I could just buy the game and download hundreds of songs later on, but Activision totally dropped the ball on that one. With RB I'm 95% sure that there downloadble songs are backwards and forwards compatible, I don't know if it's the same for GH (does anyone know about that one?) I'm also noticing that a lot of the same songs are apearing in both games so I'm expecting more crossover. So for now I'm going to stick with RB.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:39:52 pm »
I don't want the stupid drum thing either. If I want all that extra junk I'll get Rock Band.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5010849/guitar-hero-world-tour-priced-more-expensive-than-rock-band

this one is off the list

unles they sell just the game for normal prices

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »
Yeah, screw those guys.

I won't buy this, but I will buy a re-released version of Guitar Hero I and II for the Wii.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 05:33:32 pm »
Ditto for re-release of number 1 for 360.

gec05

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
Well, there goes my hopes for this game. :-\

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 07:32:58 am »
There are two problems with your reactions to the price:

#1: The majority of people get to play for free, since of every sucker who actually buys the whole thing three other people also get to play.

#2: If you bought Rock Band you should have two guitars, drums and a microphone already, so you'll only have to pay for the disk.

Unless Acitivsion actually succeeds in pulling off that non-competetive bull**** about not being able to play with different controllers. But that's a) definitely impossible on the Wii and PS2 versions and b) probably illegal.

So, yeah. Note that I still hate Harmonix more than Activision, since I've been enjoying Guitar Hero 3 for months now but the sequel to Rock Band was announced before Harmonix could be bothered to apologise to Europe for being a bunch of wankers and release Rock Band.

Which they still haven't.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 07:57:05 am »
I seriously hope they pull it out and actually finally release rockband over here soon. I'm going to be living in a house with three other guys next year and we've been throwing around the idea of collectively buying rockband. Of course, we won't be able to do that if the damn thing isn't even released yet.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 09:11:46 pm »
Of course, we won't be able to do that if the damn thing isn't even released yet.

Or it can only be afforded by the 3 richest kings in all of Europe.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:08 am »
I seriously hope they pull it out and actually finally release rockband over here soon. I'm going to be living in a house with three other guys next year and we've been throwing around the idea of collectively buying rockband. Of course, we won't be able to do that if the damn thing isn't even released yet.
It came out last Friday!

For the equivalent of US$375
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.