Author Topic: my final answer to spelling nitpicks  (Read 17189 times)

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: those god dam spelling nazis
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2006, 03:55:24 am »
fair enuff well put im just sick of it thats all i make three threads and all of them get flocked by spelling nazis and it just irratates me
if i wanted to be good at spelling and what not i would pay attention in english

no i dont miss spell on purpose its become a habit tho c now not to offend all the aussies out there good love you all but were i come from our well the people i no and hang with most of use are laid back and this is how we spell we dont pay attention at all and come to think of everyone i've met is like that and the only people who do this are the people who have to much time on there hands to sit back and point out spellling errors

As I pointed out on the other thread, this is not me having too much time on my hands. I actually have trouble reading your posts.
WWWWD?
(What Would Will Wright Do?)

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2006, 03:57:42 am »
and as i pointed out dont have a go about mi spelling and being a smart ass about my errors you could have asked em to be more precise and actually ask about what i was trying to say
It is said that something as small as the flutter of a butterflies wings can ultimately cause a typhoon on the other side of the world. The Chaos Theory.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2006, 03:59:56 am »
FIREFOX 2.0
Do you understand the words that are comin' outa ma mouth?

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2006, 04:02:08 am »
are you talking about mozila firefox
nah i don like it
It is said that something as small as the flutter of a butterflies wings can ultimately cause a typhoon on the other side of the world. The Chaos Theory.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2006, 04:04:29 am »
how can't you like It? :o It has a built In spell check and you can right click and fix thing and loads of other cool stuff...YOUR BROWSER SUCKS...KILL HIM!!!

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2006, 04:05:00 am »
Who here is sick of all the god damn spelling Nazis.
They understand what we are saying and know what we mean and yet they still manage to go off the topic of the of the thread and have a go at you because of your spelling. I mean no one cares honestly as long as they know what your trying to say then whats the big deal?

Corrected.  Peace is restored in the world.  Arise people from your shelters, we are safe at last.  I, the spelling Nazi, shall protect you.

;)

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2006, 04:05:13 am »
Just so you know... this is NOT some kind of personal attack on you. But when people are actually having problems reading your posts, then maybe you should consider doing something about it? Or not, of course. But dont kick out people who try to do it for you.

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2006, 04:08:02 am »
yer i no but i just hate it honestly if people could understand me then they should say it not be smart asses about it and do the whole translation thing and keep going with i honsetly couldnt careless if they ask me to spell better first but dont be a smart ass about this **** ay

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2006, 04:15:16 am »
look If you're using IE Install this

And don't come up with some lame arse excuse ok...It's free and unless you don't have IE then you can't say much.

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2006, 04:37:45 am »
I actually think this is kind of scary.
If I had grammar like this when I went to school, I would be considered illiterate in Norway and fall under the governments aid program. But it seems the OP is getting by fine in school, which leads me to believe that the educational system in the US (and worldwide for that matter) is failing to educate our children. As a father of two, this is deeply distressing. I know kids in my country are just as bad, and to be honest there is really no excuse for not being proficient in your own written language.

This has nothing to do with slang or abbreviations either, as the OP is suggesting in another thread. Im sorry man, but your english is really so horrible (this isnt intended as an attack, but an explanation) that I find it very difficult to read. I can deal with the occasional "u" instead of "you", thats not a problem. I use it too in informal chats, though I tend to steer clear of it in message boards.

But the complete lack of punctuation and the flimsy grasp on the English language I see in these posts distresses me a great deal.
Words matter. our entire civilisation is founded on the written word. If kids today no longer ascribe any worth to the art of writing, how on earth will we survive as a coherent civilisation?
If everyone spelled everything whichever way they pleased, in a few generations time no one would be able to understand anything anymore.

So this is a really important issue, wether people like it or not.
WWWWD?
(What Would Will Wright Do?)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2006, 04:57:31 am »
2. if you eva taken any science or maths class u will c everything is abreviated and unfortunatly thats the only classes i pay attention in so i have growen quite attatched to abreviation and not paying attention to spelling

Oh, of course. Because nothing gets you heaps of respect in the scientific community like an appallingly spelled research paper.

" Viruss the name given 2 a micorscopc self-repplicatting paraticle which relys on the sels of living orgnizms to reprodooce a tippical virus is simplee an assemblage* of jenetic material ether DNA or RNA depending on the virus in question enclossed in a shell of proten know as a capsid"

*removed, too many syllables.

Seriously kid. Grow up and start using proper english. Unless of course you want everyone to ignore your little opinions because they dont have the time to waste on trying to decipher your retarded daubings.

I wonder if Daxx knows about this thread.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2006, 05:05:28 am »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2006, 05:11:53 am »
*walks into thread*

Damn, people have already said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Oh well, let's just put them as bullet points:

• Poor spelling reflects badly on your mental abilities. Since you don't seem to have any sort of disability, you're just coming off as an illiterate and retarded 12-year-old here. People will tend not to respect you or your opinions if you can't demonstrate adequate communication skills (fairly or unfairly, this will nevertheless happen).
  • Correct spelling is just common courtesy. I do not want to have to spend five minutes discerning meaning from your illegible grunting; you're just wasting everyone's time, and that isn't fair. The minute you saved by not spellchecking your post is counterbalanced by the collective hours everyone else spends decrypting your message.
  • There are many on this forum for whom English is a second or third language. Imagine walking into a French forum where everyone posts with horrible spelling. How is that going to help you when you're already having trouble with the language itself? You claim that people are still able to read your posts, but especially in the case of non-native speakers, I would imagine in some cases not.
  • It's not hard to spell properly. Whilst the forum spellchecker may have gone, it does not take long to put a post through a word-processor to catch mistakes, or paste words you're unsure of into Google, or even to use Firefox 2 - which has an inline spellcheck function. You don't really have an excuse here. There are people on this forum who actually do have problems with spelling due to mental conditions, but most if not all of them check their spelling in this way.
  • The fundamental thing is this - you have admitted that your spelling is merely due to your laziness. That is unacceptable here, on an ostensibly intelligent gaming forum where people spend large amounts of time thoughtfully contributing. You are being incredibly impolite, and we're asking you to spell correctly out of respect for the rest of us.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:13:32 am by Daxx »

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:29 am »
umm honestly its a game forum not an essay i generaly have decent english wen i try its 11.00pm and i couldnt be stuffed rite now during the week wen i could be bothered i'll have good english but now i dont and dont go off making remarks about how appauling mi english is i could not be stuffed you here that i could not be stuffed just cause i couldnt be bothered to spell properly or use puctuation doesnt make me illiterate it makes me lazy
yes im a kid for crying out loud i dont pay attention to anything else but games and physics thats it im happy with an SA in my english class casue you no what the english class of today does not teach you what you need it teaches you of shackspere and faiirytails not how to write a resume` or anything your gonna use in the real world honestly i dont think re-enacting shackphere is gonna make me a better pilot

yes im a pilot in training at the age of 15 wow real need for english there ay i just pass yet i fly planes hmm oh that and i have a fortune to back up my leassons no to take it forgranted but i have many career options ahead of me and english is really the only class i dont worry about and i come onto this forum to discuss spore thats it spore and yes i may not use grammer or whatever but i dont care for the people who speak it as a second language thats not mi fault.
i do not have bad mental ablity i am 15 and am working on my own theory of balck holes based on my knowledge of physics and quantim physics

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2006, 05:22:49 am »
umm honestly its a game forum not an essay i generaly have decent english wen i try its 11.00pm and i couldnt be stuffed rite now during the week wen i could be bothered i'll have good english but now i dont and dont go off making remarks about how appauling mi english is i could not be stuffed you here that i could not be stuffed just cause i couldnt be bothered to spell properly or use puctuation doesnt make me illiterate it makes me lazy

Sweet Jesus. Did you read any of what I wrote? You have no excuses for poor spelling. Laziness is not an excuse, and in fact is the worst kind of attempted justification since your self-awareness implies that you're doing this deliberately. You are rude. You are inconsiderate. You are demonstrating both a complete lack of comprehension and a complete lack of respect. Do not be surprised if you are not being welcomed here.

yes im a kid for crying out loud i dont pay attention to anything else but games and physics thats it im happy with an SA in my english class casue you no what the english class of today does not teach you what you need it teaches you of shackspere and faiirytails not how to write a resume` or anything your gonna use in the real world honestly i dont think re-enacting shackphere is gonna make me a better pilot

You need to seriously reconsider your view of adult life if you think that spelling is unimportant.

and english is really the only class i dont worry about and i come onto this forum to discuss spore thats it spore and yes i may not use grammer or whatever but i dont care for the people who speak it as a second language thats not mi fault.

That is most definitely your fault. That's the worst kind of rudeness. If I may be so bold, I will ask you to reconsider posting here at all if you cannot show basic respect for other members.

i do not have bad mental ablity i am 15 and am working on my own theory of balck holes based on my knowledge of physics and quantim physics

You come across as mentally retarded. Since you have no reasonable excuse, your abysmal spelling is essentially a signpost which says "I don't pay attention to detail, I'm sloppy and unimaginative, I have trouble expressing myself, and I do not have the mental ability to learn to spell."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 05:29:35 am by Daxx »