Author Topic: spore mistakes  (Read 14469 times)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Re: spore mistakes
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 06:01:59 am »
I know this will make everyone go ugh, but...

A BIG mistake: Announcing Spore over a year before it would come out! I'd prefer games announced 2 months at most before their release date, or otherwise they torture and tantalize you non-stop.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:04 am »
That was probably the biggest mistake that was ever made in the history of Will Wright games, you're right. Speaking of which, I think I'm going crazy from lack of info. When I first got interested in Spore (back in October of 2005), it wasn't so bad cuz I was always finding new info. Then I forgot about Spore for about 6 months (I call those the days of blissful ignorance). Then in May, I unknowingly came across a new 3 minute Spore video on some random website that wasn't even related to gaming. Then I found a link to this forum and a week later, boom, I'm a registered member on Gaming Steve. Since then, I've been addicted to Spore. GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE!....or at least some information....
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 12:19:27 pm »
How would you actually throw your creature into orbit now, as it would either burn up in the atmosphere (if that gets implemented), or explode in space(which we know happens.)
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2006, 10:57:02 am »
I'm guessing the game won't have air resistance included in the (non-existant) physics engine, so your creature will stay in orbit...

Offline ElemenoP

• Battlezone Captain
  • All Hail, the mighty glowing geography teacher!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 11:13:28 am »
Yeah, but it would still a-splode. Remeber in the old GDC video when that spider thing blew up on pluto because there was no atmophsere?
http://www.savefile.com/files/184513
HelperBox.  Ensuring a brighter future!
(it's a 9 megabyte movie I made in endorphin. It's pretty funny)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 11:09:58 pm »
Yeah, but it would still a-splode. Remeber in the old GDC video when that spider thing blew up on pluto because there was no atmophsere?
Not if it's orbiting IN the atmosphere.  There's no air fiction to stop it and it won't explode because it's not in space.  In theory, depending on how the physics engine works, you could have a creature orbiting about 20 feet of the ground.  The creature would lose it's "locked to the ground status" when picked up by the UFO, then you'd just have to throw it at a low angle on a trajectory that has it avoiding hitting any mountains.

Or if you don't want to think that badly of the physics engine, imagine its burst carcass orbiting the planet instead.

I also think the name of this topic should be "Spore: Happy Accidents"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:24:33 pm by Slartibartfast »

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 12:03:05 am »
It's my guess that the Physics Engine runs on a "What Goes Up, Must Come Down" sort of basis. I think you can only orbit a creature if it's thrown into a certain position, after which point it just consistently rotates around the planet, I'm guessing until you leave.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:33 am »
There is a diffrence betwine a mestake and a unplaned feature or way to sloving a problem. Almost all my favorit games inculde unplaned features or unplaned ways to solve problems.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
Re: spore: happy acidents
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 08:12:08 am »
I'd love to find things like that, things even the developers don't know you can do in the game, like ride a boulder down a cliff face or something like that, alot can happen in a world made procedurally.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 09:59:59 am »
As a bizarre thought: the ability to orbit a planet would make for some very interesting kinds of plants.

With no atmosphere between them and the sun, a plant could absorb vast quantities of light and grow to a collossal size.

A plant that always faces the sun could block it out, and provide food for an entire planet of nocturnal* species, as well as possibly being a source of mythology and worship for soceities of said species, due to the ridiculous size it could reach.

If it was in a different orbit, it would have a very intersting life-cycle, only opening its leaves while it's under the sun. Depending on it's orbit, this could be quite frequently, or only once a year or even longer. Would it bombard the planet with seeds after absorbing the amount of light it needs for energy? Would simply split into smaller plants? If, in it's infancy, it grew on the surface, how could it get into orbit?

It will be the plant editor that truly dooms us all. Aye, for one so overlooked, it wields terrible power.

*Is a species nocturnal if it lives on a planet where there is no daytime?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:01:44 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 10:19:05 am »
A planet with a blanket of plantlife that blocks out all sun in an orbitting canopy, interesting.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:51 am »
at least we know if we don't get flying creatures we can still make our creatures fly, i think the idea lurks talking about might not work due to the fact that to make the game have so much freedom the physics engine wouldn't alow it, you probably can't make plants over a certain size anyway. Not that i though it was a literal idea.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 02:47:34 pm »
*Is a species nocturnal if it lives on a planet where there is no daytime?
The creatures living on this kind of planet would have no concept for daylight vs. night if they lived on a planet of perpetual darkness, and so would probably no word it, they wouldn't be nocturnal or anything, they'd just be...alive, I guess...
But yea that's a cool idea with the giant plant-cover, but where would it get all its nutrients? And i think it gets gradually harder for plants to pull nutrients up to their leaves the higher these are positioned, so a giant plant that practically orbits the planet would have a hard time bringing food up from the ground...

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 03:28:59 pm »
A plant in orbit isnt attached to the ground. Also, higher up theres less affect by gravity. Plants only have a problem with bringing up food because of gravity. If you could attach packets of dirt and water (which u changed regularly) to feed the thing, it could work. As long as you dont put the plant so high that it has no air to breath. Also plants and trees do have a life span and some plants can never live long enough to grow beyond a certain size. So theres alot of factors that come into it.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:00 pm »
A plant in orbit isnt attached to the ground. Also, higher up theres less affect by gravity. Plants only have a problem with bringing up food because of gravity. If you could attach packets of dirt and water (which u changed regularly) to feed the thing, it could work. As long as you dont put the plant so high that it has no air to breath. Also plants and trees do have a life span and some plants can never live long enough to grow beyond a certain size. So theres alot of factors that come into it.
true, but something like that wouldn't evolve on its own, it would need some kind of intervention (to bring the "packets" of soil/water etc. for example)

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0