Author Topic: spore mistakes  (Read 14462 times)

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
spore mistakes
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:37:25 pm »
i like the idea of throwing creatures into orbit around your planet i wonder what other fun mistakes will and his team have made

It is said that something as small as the flutter of a butterflies wings can ultimately cause a typhoon on the other side of the world. The Chaos Theory.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: spore mistakes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:59:55 pm »
i like the idea of throwing creatures into orbit around your planet i wonder what other fun mistakes will and his team have made

You realise that's not a "mistake", that's a feature of their physics system.

Offline vulcan101

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:02:52 pm »
they didnt programm it into there it was like an accidental programming watch the e3 demo he says its a mistake/accident the didnt mean to
It is said that something as small as the flutter of a butterflies wings can ultimately cause a typhoon on the other side of the world. The Chaos Theory.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:37:17 pm »
I don't think there is much to talk about until the game is released because the only mistake that we could know about are those that Will himself has pointed out.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:36 am »
they didnt programm it into there it was like an accidental programming watch the e3 demo he says its a mistake/accident the didnt mean to

One wonders if you understand the concept of emergent features and the role of iteration on procedural gameplay. It's not a "mistake", since the word mistake implies that it's wrong, aberrant, and needs to be removed. The ability to send things into orbit is simply the product of the game's physics system and the abilities of the UFO - whilst it may be emergent and unpredicted, this does not make it a mistake.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:32:08 am »
maby fat creatureswill float

Offline DarkDragon

• Double Dragon Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:48:44 am »
It's not a mistake, it's just like when you tell the creature to bite something and walk at the same time, the creature will drag it. The same happens with the physics system and the UFO, the UFO can abduct stuff so it creates some kind of gravity system to abduct creatures but if you turn it off in the middle of the process the creature will be at the mercy of the planets physics system interacting with the force the abducting beam was applying before, etc.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 09:19:10 am »
I rather like this quote and I think it goes well here.

"It's not a bug... It's a feature!"

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:58:27 am »
Its kind of like suggesting that throwing things is a mistake in the real world, since it is an interaction between our ability to pick things up and the laws of physics...
WWWWD?
(What Would Will Wright Do?)

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 12:19:23 pm »
Its kind of like suggesting that throwing things is a mistake in the real world, since it is an interaction between our ability to pick things up and the laws of physics...

I don't understand.

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:33:15 pm »

I don't understand.

Saying that the "throwing creatures into orbit using the abduction tool" is a mistake is like claiming the ability to throw a rock is a mistake.  ::)
WWWWD?

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »
I think he meant by "mistake" was perhaps it wasn't intended that that would happen when he through a creature up.

Offline Temple

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 01:05:53 pm »
I think he meant by "mistake" was perhaps it wasn't intended that that would happen when he through a creature up.

Maaaaybe... But that requires more interpretation than the obvious answer, and Im feeling very Occamy today. :D
WWWWD?

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 01:33:34 pm »
So we're discussing what other unexpected things might happen that weren't originally planned in the making of the game.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »
I still believe that you probably wont be able to throw a creature into actual orbit, and instead WW was just exaggerating in excited reflection. Some things arent meant to be taken literally, and I think that might have been one of those things.