Author Topic: Is simcity 4 good?  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Gungnir

• Wild Gunman Gangster
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Is simcity 4 good?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:07:23 pm »
I never liked the sim city serise. Sand Box games lose their fun after a few days

It's not a sandbox game...It's actually quite challenging.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »
ei why don't you try WYD Global this game is cool and exciting game with a lot of features and character to build and most of all it's free to play..
Hi Advertiser, welcome to our forum.  You might want to have put that oh so very subtle link in a thread thats more relevant to ftp mmorpg's.
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 01:26:42 am »
No, it's highly annoying and needs incredible amounts of nit picking micromanagement. If you don't mind  bad graphics I'd suggest Sim City 2000. But I'd probably go with Sim City 4 over City Life.
Its the glorious ability to fine tune things, to truely make your city a dynamic work of art, that makes godgames worthwhile. And the micromanagement really only lasts until you get the city built up to a certain point... generally only a few years into any given map. After that, things generally take care of themselves and you are left to larger scale issues if you so choose.

I always figured that, if you want a game that you can breeze through, you have totally missed the logic behind godgames alltogether.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 05:03:07 pm »
If you can still find Tropico somewhere, go for the 'Mucho Macho' edition, which includes the original game and the expansion pack. (It's a pretty dated game, but it's hilariously funny and the music gives it that authentic Caribbean feel.. In fact I feel like playing it again).. If you can't find that, but are into pirates, try Tropico 2: Pirate Cove, which is even more hilarious..

Regarding Simcity 4, it's a tricky game to get the hang of, but fortunately there are a lot of great fan communities out there that are willing to help. As others have recommended, be sure to get the Simcity Deluxe Edition or the regular edition AND the Rush Hour expansion pack.. Also, a new SimCity game is currently in development, but won't come out until October.. There has been some uproar about it among fans because it takes a completely new direction with the series. On the other hand, there's also a new incarnation of the City Life series underway. City Life was laughed at by Simcity fans when it came out (and it is a bad game), but when a screenshot of City Life 2 was released about a week ago, after the awful screenshots of the new SimCity, a lot of Simcity fans (myself included) decided City Life 2 was actually looking very good..

Judge for yourself in these threads:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=9554.0
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=9579.0

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 11:49:10 pm »
No, it's highly annoying and needs incredible amounts of nit picking micromanagement. If you don't mind  bad graphics I'd suggest Sim City 2000. But I'd probably go with Sim City 4 over City Life.
Its the glorious ability to fine tune things, to truely make your city a dynamic work of art, that makes godgames worthwhile. And the micromanagement really only lasts until you get the city built up to a certain point... generally only a few years into any given map. After that, things generally take care of themselves and you are left to larger scale issues if you so choose.

I always figured that, if you want a game that you can breeze through, you have totally missed the logic behind godgames alltogether.

I'm not saying that at all, but if you read most reviews between Sim City 4 most people agree they got over ambitious with micromangement. The game also has many annoying features that distract it. And would say this game is the less "artistic" of them all. Your limited to building style unlike Sim City 3000.  Sculpting landscape while fun usually ultimately ends up with lots of useless land. And don't say the community is responsible for building styles. If they could Make a North American, European and Asian style for Sim City 3000, they could have done it for this.  And there isn't always supposed to be logic in a game, some of them you just want to play for fun. Sim City 4 was the first in the series where I didn't. Heck even Will Wright admitted Sim City 2000 had the best balance in gameplay.
My karma ran over your dogma