Author Topic: ATI  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
ATI
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:56:55 pm »
Hey guys I just wanted to make a post about ATI.  I know everyone is just in love with ATI and it is powering the next xbox and Nintendo system.

I have a a very major gripe with them.  I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and I want you to know that they have a major major problem.  It has a VPU error that happens in several games that causes you to have to reboot your machine and it happens CONSTANTELY.  (btw for those of you that do not know what a VPU is it is your video Processing Unit the most important part of your video card.)

Basically what happens is this you are playing a game and you get an error that says your VPU has been reset and it happens 3 times and then you have to reboot your computer.  If you have one of these cards and Black and White 2 you cannot play the game.  I also play Everquest 2 and the came keeps crashing.

The bad part is that ATI is aware of the problem and has done NOTHING to fix the situation.  I had to go out and get a Nivida card so that I could play my games as Quake 4 is out and I didn't want to have any problems with that game.

Why is it that so many companies have so many problems and don't fix them or they fix certain problems but not all. 

The only way to fix the problem is to use a very old version of the drivers and that sometimes works but with newer games you have problems as well.

I'm very upset at ATI and this experience has made me think that I will probably not buy an ATI card in the future.

Thank you, as you have just been Lazered

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
Re: ATI
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 07:23:21 pm »
Ive always been an nVidia fanboy :)

so if ATI's cards have a known fault, more power to nVidia!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:11:30 pm »
NVidia forever!

I love my 6800 GT. Easy to overclock and make just as good as a 6800 Ultra!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:33:18 pm »
My 9800 pro doesn't do that...

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 09:53:36 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of games have problems with ATI drivers. You constantly see it in the readmes.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 04:59:59 am »
Hmm, i love my 9600XT, it's a quality card and runs everything i need.  Will last me another 2 years until i need a serious upgrade.  Shame that you had a problem with your card. :-(

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 05:13:43 am »
It WAN'T the card hear me again!! "IT WAS NOT THE CARD" it is the drivers that control the VPU it causes games to crash or lock up or just not run properly and ATI knows about it and has done nothing to fix the problem that is what has made me switch to Nivida.  If you have a product and it is a problem FIX it or try to find a solution around it!!

Thank you, as you have just been Lazered

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 01:25:43 pm »
Well I finally totally upgraded my computer and I have an X700.  Black and white didn't work until I installed a newer driver.  Simcity 4 doesn't work correctly with 9200s but will work with 9600.  Ah, yep, don't know what I was saying...
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline Pir0

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Dolphin Rave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 02:42:39 pm »
Nvidia makes the most awesome gaming cards.

My 7800 gtx rocks my world.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 05:29:14 pm »
*shrugs*
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 06:42:41 pm »
nVidia

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 07:37:17 am »
Depends on how much money you have, but if you are buying a single graphics card get pci express, and wait for the x1000 series from ATI.  ;D
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Offline LouishB

• Breakout Battler
  • I'd rather be playing Choplifter or Beer Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 10:42:56 am »
I've been jumping between nVidia & ATI since my old powermac days...  My current rig is 6800GT SLI.

ATI cards have always been touchier for gaming and require more thoughtful usage... probably why all the zombies that don't care properly for their windows installations / driver sets will tell you to run to nVidia.  In my opinion both are fine once properly understood.

As for your particular problem: my knee-jerk response is that you have a hardware issue.  This could be solved by flashing the card's bios, or by returning the card.  Where did you get it if I might ask?  There are bad cards floating around out there.  Also, are all your drivers & bios's uptodate?  Mobo, network, etc.

I would also suggest you try these:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

If you update all your other hardware drivers, load the omega driver, and still get the same error that methinks you have a bad card.  Sorry :)

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 07:51:45 pm »
I really like my new computer, it works so well.  ATI X700 pro
1024 mb of ultra ... ddr memory (always get confused with letter combinations  :D)
$130 motherboard, been working pretty well
and a SATA II 250 G 7200 rpm hardrive
I'm happy :)

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:56:41 am »
Well ive got a 9550, so its gonna have to suffer oblivion etc for a while, us students cant afford new pcs  :(

I would try the omega drivers, i dont use them myself but they are meant to give better gaming (not benchmark) performance than the standard ati drivers.  As for the vpu error, i would check the ati website incase anyone else has the same problem, havent heard of it myself.
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation