Author Topic: flooding in the midwest discussion  (Read 6293 times)

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
Re: flooding in the midwest discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:30:45 pm »
hey guys, im not home but im somewhere with net access.

As for the guard discussion we were having, id like to look at the 1993 levels but the number 2100 was quoted often on tv around day 3, id be interested if the numbers were the same back then, but i havent looked that up.

I understand that 500 year flood plain number now, it means i have a 1-500 chance every year to be flooded or .02 percent.

one of my animals was trapped for 6 days in what im guessing was 80-90 degree apartment full of rotting food, after animal rescuers already swept the building and missed him.  They evacuated us pretty fast and we werent allowed to take pets and the only places that woulsd take them required delivery.  I dont have a car and cant drive anyway. 

For a while the city was down to one water pump, drinking water only, no bathing no laundry, no industrial use.  Even the restaurants were using paper plates to avoid using water.  I dont have direct news access but i think now theyve got 2 of 4 working.

A few dams were taken out. 

People have started impersonating fema and the national guard to get into peoples houses and to get bank info, but i hope its not too widespread.

anyways im going to link to my blog because its more detailed.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm safe an out of the city.

im using an inferior computer and cant install the demo

I know its not really the most important issue in my life right now, but after all this time waiting for spore and now i cant even touch the demo, its a kick in the balls, i tell you!

edit: the entire first floor and basement of my building were flooded, so the water pumps the electronic gear, and the elevators are out, i dont know when that'll be restored... let alone when the city will supply power back into downtown

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=33921031&blogID=407381262
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:34:47 pm by happydan20 »
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:50 pm »
Glad you're okay, though I'm sorry about your building. Any news on when you'll be able to return?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:38:44 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 01:47:36 pm »
Good to hear you're safe. I hate to see people getting preyed on by FEMA officials, though. It's worse when actual officials do it, but... Still... At least Iowa doesn't have the same risk of mass gang violence like New Orleans.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:35 pm »
im using an inferior computer and cant install the demo

The real tragedy.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:13 pm »
Can you blame him? He doesn't have control over anything else, everything else could've been predicted. This is more just the one last kick in the groin, so to speak. The last kick is always the one you feel hardest.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:59:44 pm »
Good to hear you're safe. I hate to see people getting preyed on by FEMA officials, though. It's worse when actual officials do it, but... Still... At least Iowa doesn't have the same risk of mass gang violence like New Orleans.

im out of the loop right now, i dont know how long anything will take, this is the worst flood on record so its hard to estimate, a friend of  mine asked me if i was looking for a new apartment.  I am.

it could be 2 weeks, it could be 2 months.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:40:03 pm »
Glad to hear that your okay but what a mess. I hope you are able to find something soon.