Author Topic: Spore to be on MAC  (Read 12147 times)

Offline zodester

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Spore to be on MAC
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »
I am on the hunt to checking every spore site I know and running a google news search every 5 minutes... I need a girlfriend

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 12:48:44 pm »
Someone said they were worried this is what the january announcement is going to be. Personally, I'm not worried. The article said they were announcing Spores inclusion on Macs today, but it also said it would be a simultaneous release. So in addition to confirming that Spore will indeed be on Macs, we also get to learn when it comes out. yay!

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:59:13 pm »
Did everone forget? Unless they announce the release date(which should have been 4 hours ago) we can be certain this was NOT the big announcement.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »
Here's an interesting article. Doesn't give a release date, but it talks a little about the process of bringing Spore to the Mac.
http://www.news.com/Coming-to-the-Mac-in-2008-Spore/2100-1043_3-6226087.html

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 01:29:19 pm »
Here's an interesting article. Doesn't give a release date, but it talks a little about the process of bringing Spore to the Mac.

Today's lesson, reading the entire thread before posting...  Behumat, this link was actually the reason the thread was created, and is given in the very first post.  But thanks for trying.  ;)

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 01:37:47 pm »
Doh! That'll teach me to skim threads. Sorry folks. Still an interesting article though. If you haven't read it, I reccomend it.  :D

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
I fear that Today's Lesson will be much worse than Goose's.

They are sticking to their official announcement time of about 2 hours ago.  ::)

Hopefully you're wrong on that Master, but I suppose anything is possible.  Still, they're human beings in a crowded expo environment.  I say give 'em some time.

--TFGoose

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:27 pm »
Doh! That'll teach me to skim threads. Sorry folks. Still an interesting article though. If you haven't read it, I reccomend it.  :D

Yeah, from reading that article it's clear that the simultaneous release is not a cause for delaying the game, as some people have accused in this thread.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:49 pm »
Alriiight.

I have a mac and was worried about how I was going to play this.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »
Spore is coming to the mac also spore will be at Macworld   
EA is set to announce Tuesday it will release Spore later this year simultaneously for PCs and Macs.

The announcement is timed to coincide with the Macworld Expo, which begins Tuesday in San Francisco. At the convention, EA will show Spore running on Macs.

Anybody else think that this is supposed to be the big January announcement. :-\ ??? :-\

Wow that's impressive and an expected move by EA. I don't have a mac but this broadens the horizons for diffrent computers that are compatible with spore. I know how it feels to be out of the loop and we've all been there, but this game being compatible with macs keeps everyone (who has either computer)in the loop and not feeling part of an A and B conversation, which them being C.(Sorry if I made that hard to understand with the social ring euphemisms, it just seemed like the best comparisons for me ;))
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »

Yeah, from reading that article it's clear that the simultaneous release is not a cause for delaying the game, as some people have accused in this thread.

I take it you also believe, "we think the Macintosh user is somebody who is, typically, a creative individual".  ;)
I guess the PC user is somebody is who, not typically, a creative individual?   :P

"Not typically creative" probably isn't the intended difference he's trying to express when comparing Mac users to PC ones.  "Not necessarily" is perhaps a better descriptor.  I think what Patrick means here is that Macintosh users typically aren't hardcore gamers.  However, many of these users specifically learned Macintosh computers because of their past dominance in the field of graphics design.  Though the line has definitely blurred with the advancement of video cards in Windows-based systems over the years, many artists still prefer the Mac to the PC.

So while a PC user may indeed be creative, there's a higher probability that someone using a Mac is doing so because of their creative nature than someone who uses a Windows system.  It's not a guarantee by any means, but I think you'd find a higher percentage of people who got comfortable using Macs because of their creative side than those who are using PCs for the same reason.

--TFGoose

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »
It sounds more like Patrick is buying into the Mac propaganda to increase sales.

All just a matter of perspective I suppose.  Of course he's trying to sell more copies of the game, that's his job.  But I don't think it's a stretch to target the Mac demographic for the reason he mentioned.

--TFGoose

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 03:10:56 pm »
*Slams ipod down onto desk!*

For the last time, PCs are better than Macs!  Anything made by Apple is inferior...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »
a mac user is a person that buys a computer that consists of intel chips and thinks that a mouse with one button is all you can handle.

Typically he thinks he is creative because why would anybody in their right minds buy a twice as expensive machine for no reason.

There are more programs, more development and generally more future in the pc. Mac is dead, its a niche that stayed alive because Ipod saved it. Without Ipod it was dead. Will Apple still put their eggs in the mac basket....no future no chance.

As a developer would you develop to a market segment at around 2% and that is if everybody buys your program which is unlikely.

It is nothing more than a thing from the past. Just like Amiga owners is waiting for the next big amiga. The same with mac.

Mac had these big market sellers. More speed, Better OS, better design, and a bigger range of professional programs for design etc.

More speed is gone with intel chips., Better OS well Vista is just as good if not better, better design well that is something pc is comming after fast with more customisation possible. The range of professional programs is more of feature being made for mac than because they need to.

The big creative segment that used to use Mac is leaving...only the die hard mac fans are left.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 04:52:48 pm »
a mac user is a person that buys a computer that consists of intel chips and thinks that a mouse with one button is all you can handle.

Typically he thinks he is creative because why would anybody in their right minds buy a twice as expensive machine for no reason.

There are more programs, more development and generally more future in the pc. Mac is dead, its a niche that stayed alive because Ipod saved it. Without Ipod it was dead. Will Apple still put their eggs in the mac basket....no future no chance.

As a developer would you develop to a market segment at around 2% and that is if everybody buys your program which is unlikely.

It is nothing more than a thing from the past. Just like Amiga owners is waiting for the next big amiga. The same with mac.

Mac had these big market sellers. More speed, Better OS, better design, and a bigger range of professional programs for design etc.

More speed is gone with intel chips., Better OS well Vista is just as good if not better, better design well that is something pc is comming after fast with more customisation possible. The range of professional programs is more of feature being made for mac than because they need to.

The big creative segment that used to use Mac is leaving...only the die hard mac fans are left.
[citation needed]
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!