Author Topic: Spore to be on MAC  (Read 12047 times)

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
Spore to be on MAC
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:19:32 am »
http://www.news.com/Coming-to-the-Mac-in-2008-Spore/2100-1043_3-6226087.html
Spore is coming to the mac also spore will be at Macworld   
EA is set to announce Tuesday it will release Spore later this year simultaneously for PCs and Macs.

The announcement is timed to coincide with the Macworld Expo, which begins Tuesday in San Francisco. At the convention, EA will show Spore running on Macs.

Anybody else think that this is supposed to be the big January announcement. :-\ ??? :-\
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:21:46 am by killerboy85 »

STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
Re: Spore to be on MAC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:14 am »
That sounds really exiting! Thanks! Spore will be running on Macs on the Macworld Expo, that gotta mean news!  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:27:31 am by SpaceOddity »
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:23:50 am »
It can't be. Maxis games have always been available on Macs, announcing it is merely a formality.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:34:03 am »
Did you read the article? They will be SHOWING SPORE running on Mac. Spore hasn't been demoed since October last year.  ;D
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:58:24 am »

It think its implied if its going to be at macworld it would be shown
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:15:58 am »
Since Mac is running on Intel chips it cant be such a big newz.

Hurray for the 2% of the computer user people. Oh well then you have to deducted a very big amount of mac users that simply
dont want spore....

hurray then we are down to a fraction of macs, which infact means a very low amount of computers...if you can call mac that.

Really dont hope they put much effort in this, its a waste from a economical side. Furthermore the more time used on making the game
multi computer platform is deducted from actual game polishing.

Cant really be happy about this, but its great for the 1000 mac spore lovers...that cant play almost any game besides a few.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:31:04 am »

It think its implied if its going to be at macworld it would be shown
Quote from the article (bolding mine):

....At the convention, EA will show Spore running on Macs......

Seems pretty specific to me...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:32:37 am by SpaceOddity »
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:10:54 am »
This better not be the full extent of the January announcement - or I will burn something.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:41:58 am »
This better not be the full extent of the January announcement - or I will burn something.
It can be, if they say something important on the Show.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:23 am »
Did you read the article? They will be SHOWING SPORE running on Mac.

Lol.
Will: "And now we go and um, ge- Ahem. It's um, ment to do that."
technition: "Sorry will."
Will: "SORRY? I swear I'll rip your head off you moron."
Kids watching: "Mommy, make the bad man go away."

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:43 am »
Oh come, lighten up, we don't know anything about what is/was holding up Spore. No need to get all worked up about something that's not sure at all.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:49 am »
Then you are saying Bush should bomb Iran because he doesn't know they aren't working on a nuke?  :o
No, I'm saying he shouldn't nuke because he doesn't know anyth.. what is happening exactly.  ;D

Anyway, back on topic: in less than half an hour from now EA will make the announcement, whatever it may hold...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:48:57 am by SpaceOddity »
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 11:49:22 am »
Sure, go ahead!  8)
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:42 pm »
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9850769-7.html?tag=blogFeed

According to this link the annoucement was due at 12pm PST.  If my calculations are correct, it is currently 12.30pm PST, so the annoucement should already have been made.

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:35:07 pm »
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9850769-7.html?tag=blogFeed

According to this link the annoucement was due at 12pm PST.  If my calculations are correct, it is currently 12.30pm PST, so the annoucement should already have been made.

True, but things don't always run smooth as silk at these conferences.  There could've been a delay, and the news sites will need a few minutes to get the information up on their pages.  Believe me, I'm looking pretty much everywhere.  After all, if they're announcing this today, why not something else as well?  :)

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline zodester

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:38:34 pm »
I am on the hunt to checking every spore site I know and running a google news search every 5 minutes... I need a girlfriend

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 12:48:44 pm »
Someone said they were worried this is what the january announcement is going to be. Personally, I'm not worried. The article said they were announcing Spores inclusion on Macs today, but it also said it would be a simultaneous release. So in addition to confirming that Spore will indeed be on Macs, we also get to learn when it comes out. yay!

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:59:13 pm »
Did everone forget? Unless they announce the release date(which should have been 4 hours ago) we can be certain this was NOT the big announcement.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »
Here's an interesting article. Doesn't give a release date, but it talks a little about the process of bringing Spore to the Mac.

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 01:29:19 pm »
Here's an interesting article. Doesn't give a release date, but it talks a little about the process of bringing Spore to the Mac.

Today's lesson, reading the entire thread before posting...  Behumat, this link was actually the reason the thread was created, and is given in the very first post.  But thanks for trying.  ;)

--TFGoose

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 01:37:47 pm »
Doh! That'll teach me to skim threads. Sorry folks. Still an interesting article though. If you haven't read it, I reccomend it.  :D

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
I fear that Today's Lesson will be much worse than Goose's.

They are sticking to their official announcement time of about 2 hours ago.  ::)

Hopefully you're wrong on that Master, but I suppose anything is possible.  Still, they're human beings in a crowded expo environment.  I say give 'em some time.

--TFGoose

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:27 pm »
Doh! That'll teach me to skim threads. Sorry folks. Still an interesting article though. If you haven't read it, I reccomend it.  :D

Yeah, from reading that article it's clear that the simultaneous release is not a cause for delaying the game, as some people have accused in this thread.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:49 pm »
Alriiight.

I have a mac and was worried about how I was going to play this.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »
EA is set to announce Tuesday it will release Spore later this year simultaneously for PCs and Macs.

The announcement is timed to coincide with the Macworld Expo, which begins Tuesday in San Francisco. At the convention, EA will show Spore running on Macs.

Anybody else think that this is supposed to be the big January announcement. :-\ ??? :-\

Wow that's impressive and an expected move by EA. I don't have a mac but this broadens the horizons for diffrent computers that are compatible with spore. I know how it feels to be out of the loop and we've all been there, but this game being compatible with macs keeps everyone (who has either computer)in the loop and not feeling part of an A and B conversation, which them being C.(Sorry if I made that hard to understand with the social ring euphemisms, it just seemed like the best comparisons for me ;))
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:12:58 pm »

Yeah, from reading that article it's clear that the simultaneous release is not a cause for delaying the game, as some people have accused in this thread.

I take it you also believe, "we think the Macintosh user is somebody who is, typically, a creative individual".  ;)
I guess the PC user is somebody is who, not typically, a creative individual?   :P

"Not typically creative" probably isn't the intended difference he's trying to express when comparing Mac users to PC ones.  "Not necessarily" is perhaps a better descriptor.  I think what Patrick means here is that Macintosh users typically aren't hardcore gamers.  However, many of these users specifically learned Macintosh computers because of their past dominance in the field of graphics design.  Though the line has definitely blurred with the advancement of video cards in Windows-based systems over the years, many artists still prefer the Mac to the PC.

So while a PC user may indeed be creative, there's a higher probability that someone using a Mac is doing so because of their creative nature than someone who uses a Windows system.  It's not a guarantee by any means, but I think you'd find a higher percentage of people who got comfortable using Macs because of their creative side than those who are using PCs for the same reason.

--TFGoose

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »
It sounds more like Patrick is buying into the Mac propaganda to increase sales.

All just a matter of perspective I suppose.  Of course he's trying to sell more copies of the game, that's his job.  But I don't think it's a stretch to target the Mac demographic for the reason he mentioned.

--TFGoose

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 03:10:56 pm »
*Slams ipod down onto desk!*

For the last time, PCs are better than Macs!  Anything made by Apple is inferior...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »
a mac user is a person that buys a computer that consists of intel chips and thinks that a mouse with one button is all you can handle.

Typically he thinks he is creative because why would anybody in their right minds buy a twice as expensive machine for no reason.

There are more programs, more development and generally more future in the pc. Mac is dead, its a niche that stayed alive because Ipod saved it. Without Ipod it was dead. Will Apple still put their eggs in the mac basket....no future no chance.

As a developer would you develop to a market segment at around 2% and that is if everybody buys your program which is unlikely.

It is nothing more than a thing from the past. Just like Amiga owners is waiting for the next big amiga. The same with mac.

Mac had these big market sellers. More speed, Better OS, better design, and a bigger range of professional programs for design etc.

More speed is gone with intel chips., Better OS well Vista is just as good if not better, better design well that is something pc is comming after fast with more customisation possible. The range of professional programs is more of feature being made for mac than because they need to.

The big creative segment that used to use Mac is leaving...only the die hard mac fans are left.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 04:52:48 pm »
a mac user is a person that buys a computer that consists of intel chips and thinks that a mouse with one button is all you can handle.

Typically he thinks he is creative because why would anybody in their right minds buy a twice as expensive machine for no reason.

There are more programs, more development and generally more future in the pc. Mac is dead, its a niche that stayed alive because Ipod saved it. Without Ipod it was dead. Will Apple still put their eggs in the mac basket....no future no chance.

As a developer would you develop to a market segment at around 2% and that is if everybody buys your program which is unlikely.

It is nothing more than a thing from the past. Just like Amiga owners is waiting for the next big amiga. The same with mac.

Mac had these big market sellers. More speed, Better OS, better design, and a bigger range of professional programs for design etc.

More speed is gone with intel chips., Better OS well Vista is just as good if not better, better design well that is something pc is comming after fast with more customisation possible. The range of professional programs is more of feature being made for mac than because they need to.

The big creative segment that used to use Mac is leaving...only the die hard mac fans are left.
[citation needed]
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline nausved

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 05:07:12 pm »
All the Mac-bashing is amusing. A little defensive, are we? It seems a bit hypocritical to call an entire group of people "smug" simply for not sharing your tastes in operating systems.

That being said, the news doesn't surprise me. EA releases its games to the Mac. It's standard practice.

Now, if they were releasing a Linux version, THAT would be news.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 05:12:59 pm »
Now, if they were releasing a Linux version, THAT would be news.

Lunix has a computer brand!! :o Damn I feel so stupid, but knowing EA and the Spore team that would probably be possible. We just have to wait for conformation
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 05:13:39 pm »
Quit complaining on what is superior. We shouldn't take our anger out on what system we use. We should be angry at the fact that this was their announcement. Especially April Jones  :( >:( >:(. She needs to burn at the stake for raising our hopes in that letter. Also damn Xspore because they spammed them into a response. Really both are at fault for this news.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline subpar

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »
We should be angry at the fact that this was their announcement. Especially April Jones  Sad Angry Angry. She needs to burn at the stake for raising our hopes in that letter. Also damn Xspore because they spammed them into a response. Really both are at fault for this news.

I agree that this announcement is a big letdown, especially because we were expecting a release date. You can't blame them though, they have been secretly working on a mac version of the game, revealing it is "exciting news"... to some people. On the plus side, Sporific got to play with the editor, and according to the EA guy we can "expect to hear a lot more of this game in the next three months," and we got a rough release date of "hopefully summer or earlier, and definitely before '09."

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 05:40:42 pm »
Its not the dev. team. Its the communities fault is what i am now realizing. We backed them into the corner for news so they had to say something.
STOP HAMMERTIME 

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »
Quit complaining on what is superior. We shouldn't take our anger out on what system we use. We should be angry at the fact that this was their announcement. Especially April Jones  :( >:( >:(. She needs to burn at the stake for raising our hopes in that letter. Also damn Xspore because they spammed them into a response. Really both are at fault for this news.

Easy people, even if this was the unexpected announcement that we were all wondering about, the release date is still coming.  I don't believe this to be a replacement of that information.  It's just something to go along with it.  We've been told we'll get a concrete release date before the end of the month and we're only halfway through.  So let's just stow the April bashing shall we?

--TFGoose

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 08:22:36 am »
First of all, I like Macs, though I prefer my PC. Secondly, this was just a macworld announcement, not the "big" announcement we've been expecting. And lastly, don't assume that because they said middle of January the info had to come on the 15th. Relax, it'll be here soon.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 03:38:09 am »
Was this posted already? I have been out of the loop.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/15/spore.coming.to.mac/

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 03:40:06 am »
LETS BURN SOMETHING!

How about a mac?

Offline rob

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
    • MySporePage.com
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 11:21:20 am »
I think we can all agree that since EA has committed itself to a simultaneous PC/Mac release, any problems with the Mac version will delay the PC release. :'(

It won't delay they will be announcing the release date soon I have that on good authority and both versions are complete. It's just a matter for EA to now publicize Spore in the few months leading to it's release with Wii version following Quarter 3/4.