60 (42.3%)
Summer - and they will make like thats good news
38 (26.8%)
Summer/Fall - with no real solid commitment
28 (19.7%)
never
16 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: January PR opinion poll  (Read 28857 times)

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
Re: January PR will be a BIG let-down - and an opinion poll
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2008, 06:41:23 pm »
I was just trying to inject some optimism into a situation that I truly felt actually called for it this time
To be honest, we could use a little more optimism. Despite all of the repeat spam-threads about "OMG ur overhyped" and "get on with your life, its never coming out", this little fan-community is one of the most sombre and visciously self-moderating. The moment someone even tries to wistfully voice a pipe-dream they know isnt likely to happen, people bring out the beat-sticks trying to make sure nobody gets hyped up and dissappointed. There is something to be said for a little hype or optimism, especially at this point where everyone expects each news update to tell us the game has been pushed back by another 6 months. When in doubt, listen to Bob Marley!

Thats not unexpected though with a game like this. Spore's scope is the sort the lends itself to endless possibilities - so there's a tendency to speculate alot. The self-moderation developed on this board as a response to speculating and so on getting out of hand about two years ago (you remember I'm sure.) We had several hoaxes and so on in the past - it's understandable why the vets are quick to quash speculation or enthusiasm.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: January PR opinion poll
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2008, 06:53:22 pm »
On the Infinity forums, it was considered pathetic and stupid when someone posted that they dreamt about the game.

They also lynch necromancers.  I've seen it happen...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
Re: January PR will be a BIG let-down - and an opinion poll
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »
Thats not unexpected though with a game like this. Spore's scope is the sort the lends itself to endless possibilities - so there's a tendency to speculate alot. The self-moderation developed on this board as a response to speculating and so on getting out of hand about two years ago (you remember I'm sure.) We had several hoaxes and so on in the past - it's understandable why the vets are quick to quash speculation or enthusiasm.

Indeed.  I've been around since the beginning (or very near it) myself, and have thus lived through the hoaxes and pipe dreams that have made many of us so jaded.  I've bought in to several doses of hype over the past couple years, even to the point where I was making wild predictions with little or no hard facts to back them up.  However, I learned from my mistakes, and I believe the vast array of differences with our current stream of information helps bring to light the folly of our old ways.  Now, with concrete words from inside EA, I think it's safe to come out of our caves a little and enjoy the sunlight.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:37 pm »
Was this whole Spore on Mac thing the PR release?

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2008, 02:19:10 pm »

The official release date is still supposed to come by the end of the month.  That's also supposed to be the beginning of the information push as they build towards release.  I expect to hear more over the next couple of weeks.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2008, 03:16:33 am »
Well I personally think that this could be the big piece of news we were expecting. It's great news for Mac users, and it also means the game should have a larger impact on launch. They could still announce a release date this month, so I guess we'll just have to wait patiently again. At least we know that Spore is still alive and that EA still know it exists.

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2008, 03:40:40 am »
Hmmm I think the Mac gaming base is to insignificant for this to be considered major news.. I'm sure for one, that the PR would know that all us PC gamers anticipating Spore and more news would know that the majority of us would not care at all about the game being released on Mac. I think it's just a coincidence that this news and that Mac convention happened to fall in the same month.