Author Topic: Death  (Read 13105 times)

Offline lololo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Death
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2006, 11:27:04 pm »
Anyone have an idea on what would happen if your UFO were destroyed?

Its possible that you'd have to return to the Civ stage and gather enough DNA/currency points to build a new one, but get to keep all of the artifacts found and tools unlocked.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 05:18:05 am »
^ That makes sense to me, obviously a new UFO is going to need to be built so why not have the player go back to their nearest suitably established colony and design/pick a new UFO to build. You might lose artifacts that aren't researched but wouldn't lose the technologies and abilities derived from them, logically you'd want to relay those back to your civilization.. it would make no sense to horde their discoveries aboard the UFO, it exists to serve the good of the civ not the other way around.

I think it'd make the most sense if you die in the creature stage that you'd just go back to the design phase, and including all the changes you've made. Difference is now you can change it before being 'born' again. Why bother keeping the old pre-breeding design in memory? Maybe keep 'undo' history intact so they can take it back to the last generation if they wish, but to force players to de-evolve seems like it would waste their creativity and also hurt immersion.

Think about it somebody might've put a ridiculous amount of time into tons of tiny little shape tweaks, color combinations, switched through all sorts of different parts, and they'll take some amount of time trying to remember what they did and trying not to forget anything, only to run the risk of dying =again= and being back at square one.. it's just way too much of a pain in the butt.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 06:21:48 am »
I think it'd make the most sense if you die in the creature stage that you'd just go back to the design phase, and including all the changes you've made. Difference is now you can change it before being 'born' again. Why bother keeping the old pre-breeding design in memory? Maybe keep 'undo' history intact so they can take it back to the last generation if they wish, but to force players to de-evolve seems like it would waste their creativity and also hurt immersion.

That's a very good point. It has to include the changes you made or else it'll be very frustration. It should include the "undo history", or at least let you swap the last parts you put with new ones without losing evo points in the exchange...

Offline Kashmir

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 03:39:14 pm »
Since we're talking about death and what happens if you lose at a particular part.  This seems as good a place as any to ask about what would happen if during the civ part of the game your city got destroyed or captured.  Would you have to go back to the tribal stage or would the remnants of your city have to scour the earth for a knew place to live or would you have to start all the way over with a new creature?

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 05:43:13 pm »
Since we're talking about death and what happens if you lose at a particular part. This seems as good a place as any to ask about what would happen if during the civ part of the game your city got destroyed or captured. Would you have to go back to the tribal stage or would the remnants of your city have to scour the earth for a knew place to live or would you have to start all the way over with a new creature?

You will have multiple cities so thats probably not an issue.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 05:45:00 pm »
Since we're talking about death and what happens if you lose at a particular part.? This seems as good a place as any to ask about what would happen if during the civ part of the game your city got destroyed or captured.? Would you have to go back to the tribal stage or would the remnants of your city have to scour the earth for a knew place to live or would you have to start all the way over with a new creature?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

I'd guess if every city of yours was destroyed, you'd get knocked back to the tribal stage and have to make up some progress. Seems to be the trend.

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 06:23:14 pm »
Since we're talking about death and what happens if you lose at a particular part.  This seems as good a place as any to ask about what would happen if during the civ part of the game your city got destroyed or captured.  Would you have to go back to the tribal stage or would the remnants of your city have to scour the earth for a knew place to live or would you have to start all the way over with a new creature?

You will have multiple cities so thats probably not an issue.

I think he means that at the BEGINNING of the civ part when you just have your starting city.

That's a good question. Most logical answer is game over. I think that after the creature game you get to save so if you're obliterated in the Civ stage you'd have to load a past save file.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 06:58:08 pm »
I wonder whut happens when your UFO goes "boom."