Author Topic: Death  (Read 13105 times)

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
Re: Death
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 04:39:48 pm »
grats to you on being able to see it well.. im just saying it could be better becuase it IS hard to see the very beginning and the very ending letters... and yes i know it says antisporessitimsit.

psss rethink your photoshopping there.

I would hope you could read your own sig too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:41:32 pm by Skraeling »

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 05:12:54 pm »
I would be surprised if the game forces you back a generation. Maybe you get an option to go back? Afterall there is always the odd chance you will die from attacking something too difficult or something. Thats no reason to be forced back. I remember hearing that the game would save each evolution for you and let you reset it in the editor if you want to. Maybe thats what she was refering to?

I don't think so...here's a direct quote from the magazine (You can check yourself on their website):

"And what happens if you win the Darwin award (as it were) and fail to survive as a species? Bradshaw grins. 'You just return to the previous generation of the character you created and try again.' "

Offline KJSatz

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 05:16:02 pm »
It makes perfect sense from an evolutionary point of view.  If your creature isn't good enough to survive (but your previous one was), you took a step in the wrong direction.  That line dies out and you get another chance.

Maybe with a couple extra evo points to help you not die...

...or maybe with a couple fewer evo points as punishment?

Offline Aut

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 06:27:42 pm »
It makes perfect sense from an evolutionary point of view. If your creature isn't good enough to survive (but your previous one was), you took a step in the wrong direction. That line dies out and you get another chance.

Maybe with a couple extra evo points to help you not die...

...or maybe with a couple fewer evo points as punishment?
I would go with fewer but if you keep dieing there will be a point in which you will have none. So maybe just keep the same amount, giving them more creates an incentive to kill off their creatures.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 06:30:18 pm »
It should be hardcore in that you lose the game completely.

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 06:33:10 pm »
I suppose if you wanted it like that you could just never save and when you die you could quit.
I will probably try it like that a few times actually.
Try and see if I can create a creature strong enough to survive without any do-overs.

Offline meh

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Beep. Beep. Beep. Donk.
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies Online
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »
I would be surprised if the game forces you back a generation. Maybe you get an option to go back? Afterall there is always the odd chance you will die from attacking something too difficult or something. Thats no reason to be forced back. I remember hearing that the game would save each evolution for you and let you reset it in the editor if you want to. Maybe thats what she was refering to?

I don't think so...here's a direct quote from the magazine (You can check yourself on their website):

"And what happens if you win the Darwin award (as it were) and fail to survive as a species? Bradshaw grins. 'You just return to the previous generation of the character you created and try again.' "

Ah, but did she mean it as 'The game forces you back a generation and to lose any work between then and now' or did she mean 'You can click this thingie here and undo your decision of replacing  your creatures only mouth with an ear' ?
The room of no escape! Enter!
Bring back GooGrid!

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 06:50:32 pm »
Definitely she means that the game throws you back to the last generation just before you mated.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 06:54:30 pm »
No it can be interpreted as you return to the editor just after you mated. Afterall, thinking natural selection, your incarnation must have already been a success if it survived to mate.

Offline contingency40

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Furious Publishing
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 07:19:21 pm »
One thing that's weird is that from looking at the demo at E3, if you choose to evolve after you mate and you get control of a baby, your parents evolve too.

So I suppose if your generation fails, everyone around you reverts back to the original as well.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2006, 07:20:16 pm »
It's simulating evolution, so theres a few million years gap in-between.

Offline contingency40

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Furious Publishing
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 07:21:32 pm »
Yes but remember how those two things attacked the nest trying to get at the eggs? There was a body of one of them as he sauntered out to annoy the herbivores.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 07:35:56 pm »
That doesn't change the fact that it's simulating evolution.

Offline contingency40

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
    • Furious Publishing
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 07:38:57 pm »
It kinda ruins immersion when there's a fresh body of an animal killed thousands of years ago. That's just my point and since it isn't welcomed I'll stay out of this thread.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006, 08:02:14 pm »
Sorry if that sounded a bit aggressive, I just meant to say that even if the world around the creature doesn't change, the game is stil simulating the evolution of your creature. Also you have to remember that the game isn't finished yet and the Devs have said at the moment they're concentrating on getting all the tools working. This means things like immersiveness are pretty much on the sidelines right now.