Author Topic: Money in Spore  (Read 19279 times)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: Money in Spore
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2005, 10:45:07 pm »
Well, given that the tribal and city sections of the game would be considered "Lite" versions, I would guess money would be generated automatically by the spores as they lived.  If your tribe is growing, you get more money.  If your tribe is suffering, you get less money.  Will indicated that these spores would have some form of logic and emotion.  It would most certainly be measurable and it could be linked to a constant flow of cash.  Otherwise, I could also see lump sums being delivered at milestones along your civilization's rise to power.  Like getting money for meeting population caps or achieving a certain level of technological prowess.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 03:01:29 pm »
Simoleans could just be a representation of the resources available to your culture, thus everything that effects industry will effect the flow of simoleans. Also I notice someone mentioned schools, and that's an interesting idea.. could it not be said that the educational level of a culture determines its resources? It means more architects, more skilled workers, established and efficient methods... thus allowing you to make more buildings and produce more vehicles and such.

I wonder if in the tribal phase you'd have an area where there was a 'pack' of your own kind, just really primitive like you, and this would serve as a somewhat safe area because they could gang up on huge predators; OTOH it may not be appropriate to all creature concepts... Personally I just don't want to be running from a big nasty creature for HOURS with nothing to do but keep running; and what if you're not faster than it? Maybe death isn't a big deal though.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2005, 06:59:47 pm »
Hello everyone, this is a new fan of Will Wright and a first-time poster here at Gaming Steves'! Spore looks like it is set to revolutionize the sim genre. I love the idea of procedural development and the amazingly small size of the files. This looks as if it might be one of the few truly revolutionary games ever.

As for currency, the best system would probably have you eating other animals in the early stages of the game to gain evolution points. These points would most likely be spent when you laid your egg so that you could advance your creature to be a little better until you hit the tribal stage. While I can still see you getting evolution points to slowly make your critters smarter and perhaps even more evolved (after all, they gotta have more brains to handle all this new technology, correct?). While at the same time, you earn your civilization points to purchase new items and them customize them. For example, instead of getting the same generic spears, you could have swords, or sticks, or whatever weird weaponry you can dream up. Then after a while, you get the UFO and the game basically becomes a sandbox to play in for all eternity.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Mr. Themhpe

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • MathiasPedersen.com
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 04:04:48 am »
Tal, no offence, but isn't this the rong thread for that post?
Well, welcome anyway! :)
Aspiring Danish 2D and 3D artist Mathias Pedersen's website:
MathiasPedersen.com

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 05:31:14 am »
I just figured I'd insert that in there somewhere. Not a problem, is it?
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Mr. Themhpe

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • MathiasPedersen.com
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 11:15:59 am »
Nah, just stick to topics in the future. :)
Well, enough spam on this one for now...back to topic
It would be kinda cool if you would be able to design/create your own type of money. You know, custumize the coins and bills, their logos/textures, and the name of your very own type of money. I know it's probaly not gonna end up in the game, but it would add some depth to the game if you could at least have the opputunity, to give your money another name than "simoleans"...that name just makes me think "The Sims".
Well, it's just a small thing anyway...won't destroy the game ;)
Aspiring Danish 2D and 3D artist Mathias Pedersen's website:
MathiasPedersen.com