Author Topic: The Urshans  (Read 80478 times)

gec05

Re: The Urshans
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2007, 03:23:07 pm »
Damn you Gec, why does everything you draw have to end up so damn cute!

Mua ha ha ha...

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2007, 04:47:57 pm »
That Urshan is so disgustingly cute, I just wanna punch it.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2007, 02:22:39 pm »
Another update, this time, more plants variety!
(Also check http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Wildlife_at_Niho for it all

Updated and added biomes and ecosystem)

Stuffed Plants:

Puffing Cone:
This stuffed plant native to the rain forests of Niho is one of the bigger stuffed plants found around that area. Originally evolved from a common ancestor of the VegiGlands its ancestor used sticky cells to attach itself to the trunk of the massive forest trees. It since evolved a gravity-oriented method (gravitropism) in which it’s growing long extensions that reach the ground and seek a good place to settle and grow the main body of the plant. This body can grow up to 2 meters high! Though its average size is about 1 meter. Like most stuffed it absorbs light from all of its body. At its top there’s a thin high tube that is used for its reproduction. It releases a great cloud of spores up to 100 meter high in a great puff (that can be heard quite loudly round the forest) on a weekly basis. Also in order for the spores to meet in mid air the cones has a hearing organ at the base of its tube that looks like a hairy suck of marbles (that is filled with poison for protection) that is used to hear the puffing sounds of other cones and release their clouds as well. The greatest roar of puffing ever recorded by scientists was of about 5000 cones puffing one after the other for about 7 hours!

Advanced Plants:

StormCheer:
Common in the deserts of Niho this small shrub grows up to 60 cm, though its common size is about 40. It is mostly found near rocks or other shading objects in the vast lonely grassless dunes. It has a lignin-based stem and 2-4 branches that grow from their top thin hair like leaves. These leaves are useful for creating moisture conditions and absorbing water from the air and in fact if one shall put their hands in their shrubs they would feel great moisture and wetness. Its form is also useful against the deadly sandstorms that use erosion to the bigger plants like the Jagged trees. It evolved a storing organ for water in the middle top where the branches connect to store the very few rain waters it gathers.

Lumpling Hooks:
The Arctic plains of Karir seem like the last environment one would expect to find life. The deadly cold and hard conditions left the long continent almost barren. Still in its southern shores, and in the northern islands, and even on the northern mountains of the main continents, one could find a small up to 1 meter tall advanced plant called the Lumping Hooks for its unique look. This plant has a semi-hard bark and lots of hook-like branches facing down, making it harder for the snow to catch on them. The branches are filled with small green lumps, a unique kind of leaves that are common around Niho, that are used for photosynthesis. From rocky lands to soft sandy mountains this plant can attach to any landscape and when the times are just too deadly to survive it “hibernates” by storing all of its nutrients from around the plant in its stamp and “storage spots” and let its branches die out.

Rhyming Spears:
One of the most common tree families in the Temperate forests the Rhyming Spears rule vast areas of both Sorer and Sian, though they are more common in the west. The origin of the name is of the western Urshan tribes yet it is unknown why it was chosen. Some suggest it was called after a musical instrument lost in time, others on a balance torture ritual used mainly by the deep forest tribes. These massive trees can grow from a few meters up to 20 meters high and usually shade the ground in areas where they grow clustered together, mainly where there’s lots of rain. Their massive leaves at the top are well defended from short herbivores and absorb lots of sun light while their stringy fruits are eaten in the lots and that way spread their seeds round the land. The fruits grow from their “storage spots” and therefore are usually quite rich and gain a taste depending on the environment they grow on, from extreme sweetness to sourness and salty flavors. A known western legend of an Urshan that used one of those to fly to the realm of the moons was adapted later and the first ballistic rocket that left for the moon was based on its form. 

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2007, 02:52:34 pm »
Cool plants.  8)

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #244 on: January 01, 2008, 08:39:04 pm »
Hey look, I made Niho.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:01:52 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #245 on: January 01, 2008, 09:34:26 pm »
Great plants BioCat! :) Kinda curious but, what would the rhyming spears taste like if they grew... on a cemetery? ???

@Brandonazz:  :o :o :o :o :o

Five out of five.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:42 am »
Yuu: Well, fleshy... :). But seriously, depends on the corpse of course...

And Branonazz: Awesome, I have no words really. I'll replace it with my own sketch or at least add it as well soon. Great job!!! And I really appreciate it. Makes me want to update the Urshans more, it seems they are more popular than my other works anyway. I think I’ll add a poll after my next update.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:51 am »
Well haven't posted in this thread for months I know. Still soon when I'll get the full CC I shall of course recreate the Urshans and all things related to them including the wildlife at niho. For now here are a few early versions of the Urshan made by the trial version:

First creature I made with the editor, a first attempt:

A better version made by dear Netherflare:

Enjoy:

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2008, 02:00:44 am »
Their actually really awesome....not keen on the colours though.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2008, 06:24:18 am »
Thanks :), and any tips about how you think the coloration should look like?

And now that I got the full cc I found out there are hardly any better parts in it for making an Urshan. Also couldn't find anything to look like the hatches, will keep on trying later.