Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 344752 times)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #495 on: January 02, 2007, 08:52:51 am »
They need to add a lot more Fire types, I think in total there's around 16 different ones (not counting evolutions, etc), with Diamond and Pearl only adding two, one of them being the starter and the other a legendary.  I still maintain that there are certain types they shoudn't over do, such as Dragon and Ghost, but we really need a few more Fire types out there.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:07 am »
Steel is pretty underused as well.

But we definitely don't need more normal, bug, flying or water types. Basically every new example from that group has sucked (well, swellow is pretty cool looking, but other than that)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 02, 2007, 09:12:41 am »
I say, what we need are more Poison types. All the other rare types, like Fire, Ghost and Steel, have some seriously tough 'mon to stick up for them. What does poison have? Weezing and Crobat.

Depressingly, those are the hardest Poison types.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 02, 2007, 10:41:23 am »
Heh, and Crobat doesnt really gain anything from being poison type. its best moves are Dark attacks and various neutral status effect type attacks.

It doesnt help that a whole bunch of stuff has resistance to poison.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 02, 2007, 12:42:20 pm »
Well, it does only have two weaknesses, making it defensively equal to Water type. Weezing only has one, thanks to Levitate. But all of its attacks suck - besides Toxic, which can be learned by anything.

And the only thing weak to Poison is Grass, which doesn't help either. It used to be super-effective against Bug - can't it at least hammer the newly empowered Fighting type?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 02, 2007, 12:57:12 pm »
Actually, it has fairly decent attacks. Sludge Bomb, Rockslide, Focus Punch, Explosion...

Not to mention great stats. The only reason Muk got the short end of the stick is because of that pesky Ground weakness. Practically every physical attacker is guaranteed to be carrying Earthquake, so they easily shut poor Muk down, unlike Weezing/Crobat.

He's still the coolest Poison type though.

I'd sooner make Poison super effective against Water, if I had an opportunity to change the type chart. It'll never happen though. Game Freak loves Water types. There are more Waters than any other type of Pokemon, even Normal.
I say, what we need are more Poison types. All the other rare types, like Fire, Ghost and Steel, have some seriously tough 'mon to stick up for them. What does poison have? Weezing and Crobat.
And Venusaur, Gengar and sort of Tentacruel.

Fire only really has Blaziken, Charizard and kind of Moltres. Although Arcanine is set to become awesome in D/P. I think what's really needed is some bugs that don't suck.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 02, 2007, 02:15:29 pm »
Ninetails isn't bad - I used one in my battle tower team, and it always did what I needed it to do. The evolved Magmar should be pretty decent, too.

As for Bugs that don't suck, there's Scyther... And Heracross, sort of.

I see your point.

Sludge Bomb only has 85 accuracy, as I recall. 90 power is good enough but it's still not as good, even ignoring type, as things like Earthquake or Surf. Combined with the fact that it's only super-effective against Grass, which is weak to everything, more-or-less, and most of the time you'd really be better of with something else - even if you are Muk.

Can Muk learn Earthquake? I can't remember.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 02, 2007, 02:20:03 pm »
Actually, it's 100% accuracy.

And no, for some reason he can't learn Earthquake...

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 02, 2007, 02:24:09 pm »
Bugs were weak and evoled to quickly for me. And on another note, I always wanted to combine a poison and dragon types. It would be weird plus it wound be not be effected by ground. Although I do like that new legendary Ghost/Dragon type.

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 02, 2007, 02:47:19 pm »
Actually, it's 100% accuracy.

And no, for some reason he can't learn Earthquake...

Oh, it's Toxic that's 85%. My mistake.

A Poison/Dragon would still be weak against Ground type attacks. It would be weak to Ground, Psychic, Ice and Dragon type attacks, giving it more weaknesses than either of its constituent parts. At least it wouldn't be doubly weak to Ice, like most Dragons, though.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 02, 2007, 02:58:22 pm »
Dragon aren't effected by ground attacks in the newer versions.

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 02, 2007, 03:04:24 pm »
Yes they are. The only reason things like Salamence and Flygon aren't hit by Ground is because they're Flying/Dragon, or in Flygon's case, have Levitate as their ability.

Kingdra, Dragonair, etc are affected by Ground.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 02, 2007, 03:12:27 pm »
oh ok thx

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:37 pm »
Ninetails kicks ass. As does Heracross (Megahorn, the only good bug move in the entire game, very useful against psychcics, as long as youre fast enough to get the first strike).

Flygon sort of counts as a bug... except it isnt bug type... or even flying type. Beats me why it evolves from Trapinch.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 02, 2007, 03:21:42 pm »
Samething with magikarp and Gyrados.

You'll never know why.
<_< Ż\[ ◕O ◕]/Ż >_>