Author Topic: Quality vs. Quantity  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Quality vs. Quantity
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:10:22 pm »
I've been seeing quite a few creatures on the sporeapedia. Many of them are sheer works of art, complete with lovingly placed and molded detail parts and a well written bio to boot.
I've also seen tons of creatures that look "meh" and have no descriptions.

While the Spore CC is designed so that anybody could throw a creature together in 5 minutes, do you think one should?

On one hand, the more creatures you have out there, the more of a chance that one of them is going to be sumbled upon, liked and shared. On the other hand, waiting for the right inspiration, taking the time to make sure every single part is positioned *just right* that you pick out *just* the right shade of blue, that the thickness of the calf is *just* right then topping it off with a creative bio will make for a higher quality creature, but you won't have as many out there if you take that much time and effort to make each creature.

So I guess my questions are:
Do you go for the quality or quantity?
Do you think the sporeapedia has the framework to allow truly good creatures to rise to the top?

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Quality vs. Quantity
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:13:09 pm »
I think it needs more levels of voteing, and a count of the number of votes.
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:17:16 pm »
Quality for me.  I think putting an upload cap on how many per day would help.  I for one am working on making some template creatures with fancey body models to help people get a leg up if they have a hard time balancing out a body.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:21:59 pm »
I like most of my creatures I upload, even though they aren't that fancy. I'm going to delete a few I have on because they're kinda stupid, but for the most part I'm proud of what I made. Just because they aren't fancy or extremely complex doesn't mean they aren't worth uploading.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline MageLite

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:24:32 pm »
I'm afraid I'm the 'upload loads with no description' kind of guy (or at least, I would be if the sporepedia wasn't buggy.) I make up most of my creatures on the fly and I'm normally happy with the results.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »
I work hard on all of my creatures, then when uploading I rarely write a bio.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »
We all have strengths in different areas I find my creatures are created spontaneously while I use the editor with no real planning involved.

As far as the bio goes when Spore is released all these creatures will write there own individual stories ineahc players galaxies.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:31:42 pm »
I think it needs more levels of voteing, and a count of the number of votes.

I agree! While I like the thumbs up-down system, I think you the creature owner should know how many good votes you are getting, (or bad ones).

Right now, the only thing we have to go on is which of our creatures is 'most popular' and by number of comments. However, since not everybody leaves a comment, its hard to judge using that as well.

Maybe it will get better once Spore comes out, as you'll have more statistics such as "# of downloads" "#of seeds" "#times extincted"

The more times I see ANY statistics for my creature (even if it is someone taking the time to exterminate them) the better I feel my creature is.

Time will tell. I have a feeling that releasing the CC early is a way to beta-test the whole content sharing system.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline creiij

• Phoenix Fighter
  • I'm a jerk! A j-e-r-k!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:37:44 pm »
I've tried creating quality creatures that are unique with the parts provided, sure it's hard to get the spark going but as far as I know, quality will always have my number one priority

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:16 pm »
I don't mind to have some of the simple and/or less qualitative designs in my game, it will give me a reason to go to war i guess.
I will accept them all.
Off course personally i place quality above quantity, but in a game with so many planets it's impossible to have only qualitative creatures in it.
I try to do my best on my designs, but even my best ones will always have some who don't like it, whats good to some might be ugly to others.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
I'm with you on the quality over crappiness part. In addition to hopefully only having my own creatures populate my areas (as long as that is possible or my designs have been exhausted, whichever comes first), I'm trying to find specific people I can 'trust' will put out creatures I won't instantly dislike.

I've been searching for key words (homer, alien, starcraft, etc.) in Sporepedia. You'll get the usual motley assortment of trash, but there's a few diamonds that stand out enough. Hopefully subscribing to people's 'casts will be pretty intuitive in a few months. I gotta say it's also nice (read: reliable) to see the amount of quality that the Gamingsteve forum members have displayed--I don't include myself since I only have one guy uploaded so far.

Offline Dr . Nick

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Hello Everybody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:48:12 pm »
Yea i prefer qaulity over qauntity any day.
Personally i spend easily...actually every time i make a new sporean i get better at playing with the complexity meter.
So I'm starting to manage to get a good body with as less vertebrea's as possible and lots of detail. Inherently it takes longer and longer to get that creature just the way u want it. Its Amazing how rewarding the creator is.

Bah, lets hope the rating system improves cause at the moment its not much to go by.
Also always add a GS tag or is it Gaming Steve  not sure what we agreed on.

A direct link to the page ur creature is on would be very useful.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:49:46 pm by Dr . Nick »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:05 pm »
I've not gotten around to writing in-depth bios (especially since I just found that the text limit for the description is ridiculously small to get to in-depth), but I certainly hope I'm not one of those people with "Meh" creatures. I actually put quite a bit of work into the creature, even if I do do everything on the fly I still put a lot of time into getting them to animate right and look detailed.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Flak

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Zoo and Creature Cave
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:43 pm »
Quantity is going to win imo. Not everyone is an artist. I know of a kid who is having so much fun, (he's 13) he's made almost 50 creatures already. It's a wonderful creative outlet for people, let them go at it.

I do have a however however. ;) I am hoping by the time the full game comes out you can omit creatures without bios in your search. You can already search for your favorite artist, so between those two and some more detailed search criteria you'll easily be able to find some awesome stuff.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:57 pm »
Seeing as I haven't uploaded a dang thing yet.

Quality, I've remade my wolf creature several times already and still haven't uploaded it yet, because I want to mess around with it even more before I put it on the 'pedia itself.

Granted one can get it from my personal site, but it's more of a work in progress then anything.

In fact I just had an idea for adding whiskers to it's muzzle just awhile back and know how to, just haven't done it yet 'cause I'm sorta waiting for the full version to see what else I might change.

- W -
* It's gonna be some time before I put 1 creature on the 'pedia let alone several of them *