Author Topic: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.  (Read 14240 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore, Wired's 1# Most Disappointing Game Of The Year.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 11:55:47 am »
I have to admit that Spore really didn't live up to the expectations, but I still enjoy it and play it often, even if mostly through the editors. I can't help but feel if the tribal and city stages were removed, and instead you simply got abducted into a ship of your own design, saw a cutscene of a (randomly chosen) alien crew 'awakening' you to the height of intelligence, then using you as a pilot... I wouldnt really miss the other stages. Spore is -technically- brilliant, in all that it achieves. It is also quite beautiful, when you stop chasing objectives and the path to the next stage, and take a moment to actually absorb the detail they put into it. Yet, it lacks in depth in each of the phases.

What won our attention, was the hope of a living world to roam in, with happenstance and freeform events of interest, rather than nest-hopping for a progress meter and extra parts. The Sims formula worked, because the game itself was a single 'stage', and the progression was never really about 'moving on'. Being human avatars, their fine interaction was amusing, and even if you got lost in the grind for a high job status, you could still occasionally zoom in, stop fast forwarding to get those stats and relationships, and genuinely chuckle at the voices, the interactions and the mannerisms. Whilst the Sims mechanics became painfully obvious after a short period of playing, they still felt like they were in place, and didn't totally break the sense of immersion of the world. Spore felt like far too much of a singleplayer, even for a singleplayer. The tribes and civilisations being 2D in personality, the interactions being totally linear and predictable, and the vehicles and buildings so tiny in a worldview that often required you to be quite zoomed out, that they themselves never really made much impression either. The behaviour of other creatures being limited and predictable, with anything away from a nest-anchored group being a rarity with no real variation from the usual AI.

What the players wanted, was some personal adventure beyond the first playthrough. Even a little. What we want is pointless fleshing out, fun things to stumble upon, reasons to want to stick around in a phase when we could have left it long ago. A beehive that can be disturbed, or knocked down and eaten. A tiny creature that digs like a mole and occasionally surfaces. Small creatures that dont have to be fought, and can be eaten instantly, and in one mouthful. Large creatures that trample, rather than 'fight back'. Silly things like a treestump you can scratch your back on, or try to uproot, or sharpen your claws on, or 'mark your terratory'. Objects with more than a single predictable use. The ability to anchor the camera on the tribe leader like it was the creature stage, and still order people around. A first-person view for the UFO whilst on a planet, complete with a camera overlay like the planet-scanner. Anything that can potentially breathes life into the game, and make the player feel less disconnected, and ushered along a straight line, in a world full of flat options that you saw before.

Maybe they tried too much in one go. To quote Bilbo Baggins, like butter scraped over too much bread. So much ground to cover, so many things they wanted to try, they managed some leaps of technical brilliance, thanks to their bravery in trying something so new, but in having built such a strong skeleton, they seemed to have forgotten to add enough meat to properly cover all the bones. As a creative outlet and a kind of tinker-toy, I enjoy it, but if only there was more to do with what we make. More to surprise us, or make us go "ooooh", more to distract and make us chuckle. I have hope for the Space Adventures expansion pack, but I won't be holding my breath for it.

I still do not regret purchasing it.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »
Meh, I don't care if one person thinks it's disappointing.  If they didn't check it every single day and hype themselves up more then a sugar rush it wouldn't have been disappointing.  They probably have no creativity and just play shooters every day.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:33 pm »
Umm, that doesn't really make sense. xD If anything, Spore's shallow gameplay would appeal more to the FPSers with their short attention span and low expectations. I'm someone who enjoys more intellectual/deep games, hence why Spore was such a disappointment with all that failed potential that it could've so easily achieved with their practically unlimited budget and some of the best minds in the business...

Heck, if one guy sitting in his basement toiling away every day for free can create something as spectacularly complex and fun as Dwarf Fortress, these guys got absolutely no excuse for their epic fail.

Also, +1 for the article. \o/

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 03:16:19 pm »
Spore didn't disappoint me. I don't know what else to say.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »
While Spore was somewhat disappointing, that didn't make it #1.

Also, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and Mario Kart Wii? Does this person even play videogames?

Either he doesn't play enough videogames, or plays too much of them. Either way he's a total douche for not even looking at other people's opinions on the games.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 05:55:41 pm »
he should be shot simbly bacause he included mario kart wii in that list.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline mrmango786

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • More later, I need to bake this potatoes.
    • View Profile
    • OfAllTheDays
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
This guy obviously played on some fleeting reviews he had read. Spore might lack certain depth, but there is attention to detail in some areas. Pretty bad article overall.
Ofallthedays.com - Post your day today!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/mrmango

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 06:38:31 pm »
Quote from: Wired
After years of unprecedented hype no small amount of it coming from the pages of Wired magazine and Wired.com

Is it any surprise that the game that was hyped the most ever also leads to the most disappointment ever?  Duh.

Quote from: Wired
the actual videogame at the core of all this user-generated content was disappointingly simple.

Quote from: Will Wright Spore Demo GDC 2005
[The gameplay] is very very simple.
If you actually did your jobs and did your research, you wouldn't be disappointed by the simplicity as much as expecting it you wouldn't hype it up to levels it did not deserve.  DUH!

Step one: Write article(s) that hype the game to unprecedented levels
Step two: Write article showing how the game is the greatest disappointment of the year because it can't satisfy the hype you helped create
Step three: Profit?

May I remind people of this thread?

gec05

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
I can agree with his opinion.

Don't get me wrong, the editors are fun. But gameplay wise it needs work. Lots of work. Lots and lots of work. (I hope you're reading this Maxis) But I still have hope that in the long run they know what they should be doing with the expansion packs.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 11:56:20 pm »
Heck, if one guy sitting in his basement toiling away every day for free can create something as spectacularly complex and fun as Dwarf Fortress, these guys got absolutely no excuse for their epic fail.

Amazing how two examples of procedural methods can result in such vastly different games... imagine dwarf fortress with spore graphics...

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »
he should be shot simbly bacause he included mario kart wii in that list.

Yes.  I mean, seriously...  Battle mode sucked and I don't like the wii wheel which I don't have to use, so it is disappointing!  I don't like the article. 

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 06:24:35 pm »
The Wii Wheel means people who wouldn't normally play Mario Kart with me can play Mario Kart with me, meaning I'm not sitting alone playing it or, at best, competing with strangers online. Though the latter is great fun actually.

I don't think Spore is a bad game per se, but the disappointment kind of sneaked up on me. One day I woke up, not long after the game came out, and when using the computer hovered over the icon and then suddenly thought, "Nah."

And I don't know why. People have asked why it suddenly lost appeal and I just don't know. I attributed it to overplay and left it for a while, but still nothing.

I fully agree with the statements, though, that the gaming press hyped Spore and then wondered why it didn't live up to expectations. I'm guilty of that myself. I think Will saw it coming, I remember shortly before the game's release he gave an interview stating something along the lines of, "Hey, folks, remember, it's just a game, okay?"
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 08:38:19 pm »
I agree the game was terrible. Not because they hyped it, but because they decided to turn it into a Casual game. If anything its the Wii's astronomical sales that caused this move by Maxis.
The wii is mainly a casual games console. Maxis believed casual games is where the money was and so started the process of dumbing down the game.
Not very smart dumbing down a Complex game like spore. What you get is a game too complicated for casual gamers aswell as a game too casual for Us.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:40:16 pm by helio-G »

gec05

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 08:46:27 pm »
I don't hate Nintendo, but I hate what they did.

Offline Cosmosis

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Main Creatures: "Hop Hop", "Tik Tak" and "Bum Bum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 11:02:05 pm »
How utterly stupid.  The guy who wrote that should be shot.  Repeatedly.

Um. I agree with the article completely.

*Duck and cover*

Hear hear
*loves Cosmosis for his ridiculous optimism* ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE! ;D