Author Topic: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread  (Read 34138 times)

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2008, 01:32:57 am »
The Grox sing.
Just found that out yesterday.

Anyways: Today I came across a few interesting little features. When I got to the point where the atmosphere of a planet was extremely thin (the edge of space) and tried a few of my weapons at a handful of pirates I was surprised that it made literally no sound, I thought this was a bug at first until I remembered that sound was simply the vibration of the air, strangely there is sound in space but not in the upper atmosphere. I also found out that the size of the mouth determines the sound it makes. If you scale a mouth up the sound will be lower, if it remains small the sound will be higher pitched, there is indeed quite a lot of detail jammed into Spore.
I didn't know that!

Offline mrmango786

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • More later, I need to bake this potatoes.
    • View Profile
    • OfAllTheDays
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2008, 05:27:23 pm »
Props to the two discoveries below. Wow!
Ofallthedays.com - Post your day today!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/mrmango

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2008, 07:36:56 pm »
Don't you mean above?

I never knew I could adjust the limbs themselves as well as the joints. I never noticed it apparently until the exoskeleton limbs came out.

Offline mrmango786

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • More later, I need to bake this potatoes.
    • View Profile
    • OfAllTheDays
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
Don't you mean above?

I never knew I could adjust the limbs themselves as well as the joints. I never noticed it apparently until the exoskeleton limbs came out.
I like setting forums to post new messages on top, so it's opposite of most people for me. :P
Limb adjusting is a good way to make extra arm-like waving for other parts.
Ofallthedays.com - Post your day today!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/mrmango

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2008, 03:39:06 pm »
Some other stuff I found out:
Their Empire extends to about 2,000 parsecs (or 100 parsecs by the InterStellar Drive measurer) from the Galactic Center.
Any Grox planets under exactly 1,000 parsecs out from the center (or 50 by ISD measurer) have two fully-built colonies.
The Zealot superpower, the one that instantly gives you control over the colonies on a planet, will also remove all colonies on other occupied planets in the solar system and put a single undeveloped colony on each one of those.
If you order an ally empire to attack a The Grox planet, if it was the only planet in the system, they will always place a new colony on that planet Considering this is the best way to beat The Grox, it means that your allies around the Galactic Center get very huge, very fast! And if you're a greedy empire, it's also worth noting that nearly all those planets are single undeveloped T0 planets too, making for very quick expansion yourself when The Grob is taken care of.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2008, 04:08:49 pm »
So after someone decides to get their allies to help them take out the Grox they should be left with a group of massive empires at the center.... A war between them would be fun to watch.

Anyways: Apparently the SOL will cure all infected creatures of their diseases during an eco disaster. Plus I once aimed a SOL at a low angle, only to have it fly past the surface and speed its way into space, luckily I had a few mods handy :).

Also: The forum has been incredibly inactive of late, which is sort of sad to see.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:10:50 pm by Vetro »
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline DarkPlasma

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2008, 02:25:10 pm »
Ooh, very handy tip:
Y'know when you conquor a race's homeworld, a new system becomes their homeworld? Well...
1: That system will always be as willing to surrender as a regular race would!
2: After you conquor their homeworld the first time, a Grox planet picked at random becomes the new homeworld.
3: All subsequent conquors, the nearest Grox planet becomes the homeworld. Always.
4: All Grox colonies further than 50pc from the center of the galaxy can be destroyed with just one well-placed Mega Bomb

As I've now managed to conquor all Grox planets closer than 50pc, and I can fully predict where the homeworld (aka: capturable system) will be next, I've stopped relying on allies to get the job done and started bomb-running them instead. Here comes the easy part!

Oh, and:
5: When you first hear that The Grox can't survive in T1-3 atmospheres, you'd swear it'd be the key to defeating them. It's actually a painfully slow method; traditional warfare is far faster!

So after someone decides to get their allies to help them take out the Grox they should be left with a group of massive empires at the center....

If you look veeery closely, you might be able to find one of my few planets in there.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2008, 02:39:47 pm »
Ooh, very handy tip:
Y'know when you conquor a race's homeworld, a new system becomes their homeworld? Well...
1: That system will always be as willing to surrender as a regular race would!
2: After you conquor their homeworld the first time, a Grox planet picked at random becomes the new homeworld.
3: All subsequent conquors, the nearest Grox planet becomes the homeworld. Always.
4: All Grox colonies further than 50pc from the center of the galaxy can be destroyed with just one well-placed Mega Bomb

As I've now managed to conquor all Grox planets closer than 50pc, and I can fully predict where the homeworld (aka: capturable system) will be next, I've stopped relying on allies to get the job done and started bomb-running them instead. Here comes the easy part!

Oh, and:
5: When you first hear that The Grox can't survive in T1-3 atmospheres, you'd swear it'd be the key to defeating them. It's actually a painfully slow method; traditional warfare is far faster!

So after someone decides to get their allies to help them take out the Grox they should be left with a group of massive empires at the center....

If you look veeery closely, you might be able to find one of my few planets in there.

Thanks for the tips :)

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2008, 12:48:32 pm »
I didn't know epics could pick up a holo scout.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2008, 07:37:41 am »
I never knew your spaceship could actually be destroyed when passing through a storm cloud. I always thought that thunder, as well as lava eruptions, only did a tiny amount of damage.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:46 am »
I never knew your spaceship could actually be destroyed when passing through a storm cloud. I always thought that thunder, as well as lava eruptions, only did a tiny amount of damage.

I actually learned that early on, in my first game. They work the same as the acid clouds (if that's what they are) on hot worlds with an atmosphere. Both types are actually very effective as a method of suiciding your ship if you are far from home and are not a shaman. Plus the fact that you never lose any of your cargo or cash when you respawn makes it completely safe.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »
I refuse to allow this thread to fall into the dark swamplands of inactivity , NEVER!

Anywho: Today (while playing creature on hard, which by the way makes it quite a bit more fun) I noticed a pattern where the center of my continent was full of super agressive carnivores while the coasts were dotted by peaceful Herbivores. I Had to go around my continent to avoid getting attacked. Could it be that the creature phase acts much more like an ecosystem (or at least a basic ecosystem sim like darwins pond) than we thought? With the herbivores being mostly killed off and forced to migrate to the coast? I find that a tiny bit unlikely, and it might have been just a fluke that occured in this game only.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Green Gremlin

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2008, 08:29:53 pm »
If you're trying to ally with the Grox, don't forget NOT TO AVOID CONTACT. I was still able to do overcome the -17 reputation, but just barely.

Offline helio-G

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2008, 09:24:57 pm »
I Stupidly Didn't Know this game would suck.

gec05

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:28 pm »
OK helio, I think we've heard enough of that already from you. :P