Author Topic: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -OLD THREAD-  (Read 15733 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -Yet another civ game by Huckbuck-
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »
Your characters are different from each other, that doesn't mean they are unique. The fact that you based each character of one personality trait makes them very one sided and it's hard to feel the characters as they just seem unrealisticly naive to everything but their one passion. The character I really liked though was Artemis, she was something unique and had a background story that could make you understand her possition.

By the way, there is no coliseum in Cunae. There's the theatre sure, but that is quite far from a coliseum.

I still say no to a navy warhero, if you look at the dock of Cunae in the picture I posted you see that it is just small  fishing boats and nothing more.

Another issue is that you give yourself so much land, I think you'll have to cut down on how much you build or own in Cunae if you want any villas to live in left.

Having a family where the majority of the members have god names is somewhat cheesy and unimaginative.

I agree that it is a problem that you do not RP much. It was a problem in AToC that we discuessed repeatedly, and that game was even less based on RP than this will be. I am affraid that you have to prove that you indeed CAN RP good enough to not disturb the flow of this game.

Ok so I changed a bunch of stuff please read the original post to see exact changes. Howver here is an overview.

1. I tried to give some of them a little deeper bios. Let me know if they need more.

2. Took out the mention of the coliseum. But moved gladiator fights to the amphitheater.

3. A completely new biography for the Father character. He is no longer a navy warhero.

4. I cut down the land to 4 pieces of land; living estate, amphitheater, brothel, gambling hall / restaurant. I would assume they are probably all connected to each other too.

5. No more Greek God names. All first names are changed.

6. Hey I am trying here. Please be understanding. I am not that great when it comes to RPing but I know I can help out with game mechanics/design, etc if you need it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:41:02 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »
Not sure if my family should enter the test RP right now or not.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2010, 09:17:32 am »
Hydro it is looking better, except for a few things:

• Does Scorpius not do anything at all?
  • Are the seven sins nicknames or just explanations?
  • The Cunae does not build triremes, the Spiti does though, but Cunaes small dock would not support a trireme very well.
  • Please use the built-in spell check of the forum. I use it too, just to fix the worst misstakes.

These things aren't big issues though. I say that you should try out the test RP still going on to see if your characters work and if you feel that you are able to RP with them well.

NOTE TO EVERYBODY: If you wan to start with owning something specific you CAN request that. It does not mean you will get the ownership of said property, but it at least gives me a hint of what I shall give to your family.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:39:32 am by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2010, 01:54:06 pm »
Hydro it is looking better, except for a few things:

• Does Scorpius not do anything at all?
  • Are the seven sins nicknames or just explanations?
  • The Cunae does not build triremes, the Spiti does though, but Cunaes small dock would not support a trireme very well.
  • Please use the built-in spell check of the forum. I use it too, just to fix the worst misstakes.

These things aren't big issues though. I say that you should try out the test RP still going on to see if your characters work and if you feel that you are able to RP with them well.

1. Nope, other than boss servants and slaves around. I figured If I was giving the other brothers so much I had to balance things out with Sloth and Envy.

2. Yes they are nicknames bu they are not ones they call themselves.

3. Um ok, what kind of boat should I say? Just a transport boat? I mean the boat is sinking after all.

4. What did I misspell now? Firefox has a spell checker. Also mistake is spelled with one "S" not two. ;)

5. Is the whole thing going to be RPing? OR is it going to be more storytelling style like in AtoC? Cause I really liked the AtoC style.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:57:39 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2010, 02:00:53 pm »
As I have said repeatedly, this is an RP to a much higher degree than AToC, so yes. Everything by the players will be done in RP format.

EDIT:

I made this for fun when I got home from work today:

An orator announcing the results of the evenings senate meeting outside of the Curia.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:52:23 pm by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »
The RP post wasn't too bad Hydro, but it was very listy. Next time you can just focus on a few of your character's actions to create some depth and then talk about your other characters in the next post. You don't have to constantly state what everyone is doing.

Just some critiques to help you along with RPing.

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 04:49:26 pm »
Hydro, what I feared when it came to your 7-sins brothers was quite manifested in your post in the RP thread; they all do exactlly what you expect them to do. Having characters that do nothing but one thing in a very predictable and uninteresting manner does not provide for good RP. This is why I thought you should try the RP. Please try to write as if the character is actually experiencing what is happening, taking in impressions. Remember feelings and the small but important details such as describing posture or other things that can give the reader a picture of what is going on, the feelings that are playing. As Josasa said, you shouldn't list actions, you write a story. This IS required for this game.
@davidramnero

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 05:26:02 pm »
Hydro, you should work on your RPing a little. Try less to make a list of what your characters are doing and more of a story. :)
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
So, I actually put in some time and effort. Here we go!

YAMINO FAMILY

Main Family (Tako House)

Shino Yamino
Family Status: Leader, Tako House
History: As the leader of the third generation of Yaminos to live in Cunae, Shino has kept order in both the family and the finances. She helps her husband, Yama, keep track of the profits of the family mining corporation, and also makes certain decisions for the family. She is known to be quite shrewd, but a bit dramatic.

Yama Yamino
Family Status: Member, Tako House
History: As the technical owner of Yamino Mining, Yama is quite skilled at management, and often repays his wife's assistance with the business by helping her manage family affairs. It  was Yama's idea to adopt the son of two employees who died in a mining accident.

Markus Yamino
Family Status: Ward/Member, Tako House
History: Markus lost both his parents to an accident that occurred in one of the Yamino family's silver mines. To ease their guilt and improve public relations, Yama and Shino adopted Markus, and he has been taught ever since by the family. Currently, he is slated to take over his adoptive mother's job as treasurer.

Mushi Yamino
Occupation Infant
History The firstborn daughter of Shino and Yama, she will eventually handle the family affairs her mother deals with. Also, she is considered to be adorable by her adoptive brother, Markus.

Janai Yamino
History: He owned the family company before passing it down to Yama. Janai, however, has also lost two wives and one of his only two sons to cancer.

Side Family 1 (Hana House)

Akuno Yamino
Family Status: Leader, Hana House
History: As leader of the Hana House, Akuno has assisted Shino in administrating the lower levels of the company for years. Her house entered the family through the marriage of Daruma Yamino and Hiro Atai about 3 generations ago.

Side Family 2 (Yuki House)

Kokoro Yamino
Family Status: Leader, Yuki House
History: For about 20 years, Kokoro has followed the path of his house, descended from a niece of Sakana Yamino, the founder of the lineage. The Yuki House serves mainly to keep new workers applying to the company and to coax masons into buying exclusively from the family.

Estranged Members

Hareta Yamino
Family Status: Estranged, formerly Member, Tako House
History: At the age of ten, Hareta had grown weary of the prospect of taking over as treasurer of the family marble quarries. He managed to steal all the money he could carry one night, spend it on basic armor, and then flee Cunae. He has since robbed trading caravans for his sustenance.

(This good?)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:45:40 am by Dr.Octagonapus »
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2010, 04:23:51 am »
The immediate problems I see:

• You need to use the spell check function, there are more than a few mistypings.
  • There are no silver mines in Cunae (yet). All silver you might find there has been imported from Spiti. I'd recommend you to instead build your family around a marble quarry.
  • REMEMBER: Even if your family owns business quite a bit out of town they still have to live and function in Cunae at least to begin with.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:56:07 am by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2010, 04:33:52 am »
The immediate problems I see:

• You need to use the spell check function, there are more than a few mistypings.
  • There are no silver mines in Cunae (yet). All silver you might find there has been imported from Spiti. I'd recommend you to instead build your family around a marble quarry.
  • REMBER: Even if your family owns business quite a bit out of town they still have to live and function in Cunae at least to begin with.
[/qu0te]
1. Marble Quarry? Ok.
2. Spell Check? Will do!
3. I'll see what I can do.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 05:57:21 am »
You should also try out RPing in the test RP thread, in that one it does not matter if your family isn't 100% finished.
@davidramnero

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2010, 04:06:23 pm »
Still doing badly, Hydro.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »
Still doing badly, Hydro.

What was wrong with it?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
I don't know, you kind of have perspective issues. You switch from narrator to them or something. I just get a weird kind of "this isn't right" coming off it.