Author Topic: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -OLD THREAD-  (Read 15743 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -Yet another civ game by Huckbuck-
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 11:32:21 am »
Verdo Family

Nikos Verdo, 24 years old (74 points)
Nikos Verdo was raised in middle-class family, but quickly forgot about this as he set his sights on the military at a young age. For 10 years he served among Cunae's ranks, doing various jobs. He started out as a messenger between battlegroups, and slowly worked his way up until he became one of the general's aides. He is well known as a hero among the lower classes after turning the tide at the Battle of Stillicidum by rallying the troops at Amanus Bridge and charging across to secure a position on the enemy bank.
By the time he turned 24, he had become tired of the military, and wished to return to city life. His family had long since passed away, he being the only child of his parents, and thus he had no real immediate family. It was the death of his great aunt, a wealthy socialite of Cunae, that dumped a large sum of money in his lap. This gave him the tools necessary to infiltrate the high-class society and puruse the political career he had been dreaming of.
Nikos Verdo is a clever and ambitious man, who enjoys reading as much as he does outflanking his enemies. He is well connected with the military, but has almost no family. He alone is responsible for the continuation of the Verdo name.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:50 pm »
I'm not sure how well that would work with them not actually being a part of the aristocracy.

Also, amnesia?  Really?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »
I'm not sure how well that would work with them not actually being a part of the aristocracy.

Also, amnesia?  Really?
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »
@Dr. Octogonapus:

Issues:

• The family does not seam influential enough.
  • You can not say their bloodline is Japanese, you have no knowledge if such a culture or something similar to it even exist in this game.

These are quite big ones, especially the first, so you'll have to do some altering.
@davidramnero

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »
The Black Clan

The Clan, in general, has a Northern European look. Composed of a long lineage of warrior-leaders with an ancestry traced from northerners, the Blacks helped forge the fledgling empire of Cunae, with a member either fighting in every battle or helping to lead as an officer or general. Because of this, the Blacks run like a well-oiled machine despite having risen in fame and amount of wealth over the years, waking early in the morning and going to bed late in the evening. A side-affect of this is the Blacks have a serious hate for frivolous things like luxury, and hold contempt for the other noble families and their luxurious tastes.

All children are evaluated for leadership potential on their 13th birthday, and either assigned to become "Followers" or "Leaders." They remain in involuntary training until their 20th birthday, or until they join the military, the training beginning between the age of three and five.The Clan values strength, intelligence, loyalty, honor, and reproduction.

They are known for their habits of intermarrying into "lower" families, highlighting their disdain for the overly luxurious nobility. Blacks also hold disdain for "arranged" marriages, preferring their children select their own wives/husbands. Though this may mean they are not quite as powerful and influential as they could be, through intermarriage with other nobility, the great majority of Blacks are remarkably far happier with their simpler lives than many of the nobles.

Another quirk of the Blacks is that they don't discriminate based on gender, knowing full well how powerful the woman can be, perhaps more so than the man.

Many Blacks, when asked about their devotion to the Gods will state simply that they are devoted, but inwardly the family has great dislike for the fact that religion turns the common people into such easily led fools. Despite this, they maintain a simple temple on their estate, holding mock gatherings to appease any outsiders with prying eyes.

The Blacks live together on an average circular estate not too far away from the main city, ringed by a well-maintained wall and manned by a combination of Blacks and other soldiers. Part of their estate acts as a barracks and other facilities for Cunae's military to use as necessary. Their estate has often been likened to an external defensive position for Cunae, carefully positioned to be within arrow's range of the main roads to protect against raiders. Inside, the estate is centered on the Common House, wherein the Clan lives together, hardly ever separated from one another. The Clan always eats together, trains together, and generally moves like a singular unit. Sundials positioned throughout the estate make sure the Clan remains coordinated. A number of other buildings and farms revolve around the Common House, either belonging to the Clan, to the military, or to other families allowed to live inside the protection of the fortified estate as long as they give the Clan a small cut of the profits off anything they sell.

Special Position Clan Members

Format: [First Name] [First Middle Name] [Second Middle Name], [Gender], [Age] (Points);
[Bio]

Clan Elder

Sariana Martis Oranus, Female, 72 (50 + 50 - 22 = 78 points);
Sariana is the oldest living Black, and is by Black internal law the Clan Elder. Sariana is kind-hearted and remarkably healthy for her age, due in large part to the Black tradition of consistent exercise and good diet. However, her strength has waned as the years have passed, but she now uses her years of life to give advice to the younger Blacks, who console her for her opinion on many subjects. It wasn't too many generations ago that Sariana lived among the early generation Blacks who came to Cunae.

Clan Patriarch/Matriarch

Regulus Zanus Oranus, Male,  52 (50 + 50 - 2 = 98 points);
Regulus is the Clan Patriarch, due to having the most provable descendants in the Clan, and the first son of Sariana. Usually, there is both a Patriarch and a Matriarch, but both of Regulus' wives died years ago, one from illness, and the later one from childbirth. Regulus once fought hard to expand Cunae's area of influence, heeding the orders of the Senate and obliterating Cunae's enemies. Now, however, Regulus is retired from military duty. Instead, Regulus now commands the training of younger Clan members as First Disciplinarian, but is as aggressive and tough as ever. Once Sariana dies, Regulus will take over as Clan Elder, and be removed from his position as First Disciplinarian as per internal Black law.

First Disciplinarian

See Regulus Zanus Oranus, Clan Patriach

Second Disciplinarian

Mariana Zanus Oranus, Female, 48 (50 + 48 = 98 points);
Mariana is the Second Disciplinarian, second daughter of Sariana, and the third oldest Clan member. Mariana has never really stood out, except for her exceptional physical prowess compared to many other women of Cunae, and the fact that she never married. She assists Regulus in the training of younger Clan members, and is practically assured to receive the position of First Disciplinarian once Sariana dies.

General Clan Members

Darian Zanus Teryth, Male, 27 (50 + 27 = 77 points);
Darian is a son of Regulus, and a high-ranking member of the Cuneaic military, though not a general, having helped command a few battles. He is rather muscular, and consistently exercises to maintain his strength. His dedication to the military has, however, caused him to remain unmarried, a fact which occasionally causes him discomfort when teased by other Blacks.

Janus Zanus Kan, Male, 9 (50 + 9 = 59 points);
Janus is the twin of Jana, born of Regulus and Regulus' younger wife whom died in childbirth. Janus is a driven young boy, mostly because his mother gave her life to him life, in his mind. He tries his best to appease Regulus, who holds no bias towards his own children in training. Janus is quite competitive with Anyah, trying to beat the older girl whenever possible.

Jana Zanus Kan, Female, 9 (50 + 9 = 59 points);
Jana is the twin of Janus, born of Regulus and Regulus' younger wife whom died in childbirth. Jana is incredibly sweet-hearted, and prefers not to hurt anything, even apologizing to plants whenever she takes their fruit or seeds. Slightly contemptuous of her slightly older twin, Jana believes Janus will work himself to death at some point.

Marcus Zanus Oranus, Male, 31 (50 + 31 = 81 points);
Marcus is the oldest son of Regulus, and married Perith Lancaster, a commoner. After a short tour in Cunae's military, Marcus primarily devoted himself to the art of masonry and becoming a loving father for his children.

Perith Lancaster, Female, 30 (50 + 30 = 80 points);
Perith was born poor, and worked on her family's farm until Marcus rode by one day and was stunned by beauty of the woman, despite being covered in dirt. She was soon married to Marcus and welcomed into the strong Black Clan. Life in the Clan has been a step up for the woman, though she now helps to maintain the farm so that the Clan remains self-sufficient for food, while also caring for her young children when they're not off training.

Anyah Zanus Lancaster, Female, 12 (50 + 12 = 62 points);
The first daugher of Marcus and Perith, she is also the eldest of their children. Ambitious, Anyah seeks a life of being accepted by the Cuneanic military, wherein she plans to become one of the first if not the first woman-general in Cuneanic military history.

Janule Zanus Lancaster, Male, 8 (50 + 8 = 58 points);
Janule is the first son of Marcus and Perith, and the second oldest of their children. An inquisitive boy, he hasn't yet reached the point where his intelligence will be tested, but Regulus expects good results from the young male.

Marian Zanus Lancaster, Male, 5 (50 + 5 = 55 points);
Marian is the second son of Marcus and Perith, and the third oldest of their children. Marian isn't yet old enough to show any remarkable traits, other than a knack for getting into trouble by playing with various small animals, even dangerous ones, and playing hide and seek with an easily angered Regulus during training. He began his training last year, though nothing intense yet other than playing with toy wooden swords and shields, and practicing running.

Gangri Zanus Teryth, Male, 24 (50 + 24 = 74 points);
Gangri is a son of Regulus, a member of Cuneaic military, a few ranks below Darian. Though not as strong as Darian, Gangri took instead to maintaining a remarkable swiftness and ability to talk. Unlike Darian, Gangri has married a common girl named Ferina Hanover, whom he met in Cunae's market in his youth. Ferina had been part of a beggar family, and the two had grown close over the years. Eventually, Gangri realized his feelings for Ferina, and held great pity for her place in society, so he quickly lifted her out of the dirt and into the Black Clan.

Ferina Hanover, Female, 19 (50 + 19 = 69 points);
Ferina once lived in extreme poverty, until her friendship with Gangri blossomed into romance when she was sixteen. A year later, they were married. Another year later, Ferina greeted her first child, and is looking forward to bearing more of Gangri's children. After being cleaned up, Ferina manages to appear attractive, though not nearly as much as her sister-in-law, Perith.

Farworth Zanus Hanover, Male, 1 (50 + 1 = 51 points);
Farworth is the first son and child of Gangri and Ferina, practically a newborn.

OOC Note: 999 points used.  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:04:58 pm by Razonatair »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 05:09:03 pm »
What do you mean, "not influential enough?" 

He mean's they're blacksmiths.  It's what I said.  They arn't aristocrats.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 05:17:30 pm »
@Razonatair:

I am not to sure about the name. "Clan" first of all is not in any way Romanesque, but I guess it could pass for its etymological meaning. The way you use "Black" though is confusing; the referring to the members of your family as "Blacks" for example. I don't know, to me the name just seems a bit cheesy.

There is no question about that you can indeed write good and understand the game, but I almost sensored "hardcore" tactics in your writings as in you creating an idealistic family rather than a realistic one. I'd suggest that you would adjust at least some of your family members so that not all are well minded and physically fit overachievers.

Other then that I like the concept of your family!

@Dr. Octagonapus:

A smith and a carpenter isn't really an aristocratic family. I am sorry, but this game is about the power play and the politics in an aristocratic state and there'll be enough players controlling the aristocrats, I don't need more players controlling the employees of the aristocrats.

The people of Cunae are comparable to romans / greeks. If you want your family to have other origins, then think close to rome at least, and do not mention to much details about this foreign homeland as it might conflict with the game.
@davidramnero

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 05:24:53 pm »
I was hoping for more variation but the point system ended up restricting me to lower numbers than I aimed for. So, instead, I aimed for a number of malleable younger members. And they're not meant to be Romanesque, they're meant to hail more from barbarian mentality converting into civilized mentality, outsiders to Cunae in a sense even if their more recent names are more Romanesque.

Black is meant to signify a kind of outsidership to the Romanesque Cunae culture. The Black I know is of Irish descent. Using Blacks, to me, is the same as using Kraeti.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 05:31:43 pm »
Quick question.

How exactly will this game run? I know that in the last one we would write up a large RP and you would have to infer from our writings what it was that we wanted done (or were trying to get done). At the same time we would write out 'secret' orders that we wouldn't necessarily want the other people to see and hope that they were successful as well. Is that true for this game as well, or will we write a PM with our general 'wants' for the family?

I feel like both should be included, and that only those things sufficiently RPed about should be successful. I think that would be an interesting mechanic, so that if you want something done you would have to really go after it.

An example would be that you want to establish a stronger relationship between your family and another family, so you would have to RP some sort of party or dinner where the two families were interacting with each other. Then the success of this stronger relationship would be judged on whether or not the part went well or if there was a good discussion going between the family's different members. Just an idea.

Another thing that I'm a little concerned about is the amount of characters involved in this. It makes sense to have large families with great influence, but I'm just scared from the RP point of view. At this point, everyone will have to know almost every character that another person controls and their general quirks in order to be successful at RPing. And after just a couple of years, there will probably be more babies and more characters to have to deal with as they come of age. This could quickly get very hectic and almost chaotic with the sheer number of characters to deal with.

Just some of my thoughts.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »
Huck, I've edited my family a bit to make it less.... Small. I still have 492 points to spend so I'll probably be adding more family members as I find time to do so.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »
Way to attempt to rip me off, Badger. And your centering burns my eyes. Better formatz, get them.  :P

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 05:47:47 pm »
What? I haven't even read your post yet.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 05:48:52 pm »
Just poking fun at you. Your hr's happen to reflect my style of organizing the families though. Coincidence, uh huh. Sure  :P

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »
Poking fun can be quite enjoyable. And about the [hr]s: It just seems to make things easier to read and understand. MartyK did it before you so :P
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:47 pm »
Martyk didn't do it the way I did. I have husband/wife/children put together for the most part, and unmarried children together. Or something.