Author Topic: Creature legs question  (Read 3268 times)

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Creature legs question
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:02:49 am »
I have tried and tried and looked and looked and can't seem to find how to:

Meld the hip joints into the body!

I can move legs (arms) up/down and side to side -  but can't figure out how to push the joints closer together.

My critters all seem to end up with bulging "bottoms"  ;)

I also wondered how you "collect"? I have seen reference to collections (is it in creature stage?) I can pick-up sticks and stones and throw them or set them down by the nest - but have found nothing that would be a collection. OR is it the Better-Parts you collect for DNA?

There are parts of the game I feel I am missing. The basics  :D A good tutorial would be awesome! I do have the Prima Guide and it is mostly about Creating and NOT gameplay.

Thanks in advance for any information or links that may help me "figure it all out".....

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: Creature legs question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:13:01 am »
You need to place limbs closer to the center of the body for the base joints to meld. That means placing them under or over the body, not on the side.

And you can collect parts on Creature Stage by scavenging fossils. You know, the little white skeleton thingies that shine and show a "?" when you pass the cursor over them. Surely you have clicked one of them...?

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:07 am »
I also wondered how you "collect"? I have seen reference to collections (is it in creature stage?) I can pick-up sticks and stones and throw them or set them down by the nest - but have found nothing that would be a collection.

There are also collections you can make in the space stage.

There was IIRC an idea about collecting sticks and shells to upgrade your nest at one point, but i believe that idea was dropped.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:32:48 am »
I also wondered how you "collect"? I have seen reference to collections (is it in creature stage?) I can pick-up sticks and stones and throw them or set them down by the nest - but have found nothing that would be a collection.

Can't you only do that once you're sentient?
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline FR27

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Ooo...shiny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:46:27 am »

Can't you only do that once you're sentient?

Nope, you just need a grasper.
Long time lurker.
My Spore Page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Acalanai

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:37:34 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies!

I never even thought of "putting the legs together" under or over the body before attaching them! Thanks

The collection for the NEST must have been what I seen (wherever I saw it??) that got me wondering about what I was missing. I know about the"?" ribcages and collecting Parts - but wondered if there were other pieces I should be collecting - - - - Oh Wait - I just remembered something - What I read said something about "keeping or selling" the collection pieces - something about leaving them around for the critter's to admire (or something like that??) How would you SELL something or have tribe members admire them??

Again - Thank you all for the helpful information.

PS - What does 'sentient' actually mean or do in this game???

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:59:20 pm »
Just means anything Tribal or above, AFAIK.

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »
Thanks Moogie - senient = stay in one place as in Tribal (Tribel??sp) Home.

Offline bluntaxe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:37:13 pm »
- Oh Wait - I just remembered something - What I read said something about "keeping or selling" the collection pieces - something about leaving them around for the critter's to admire (or something like that??) How would you SELL something or have tribe members admire them??

In the space stage their are 'relics' that have collections of 10 for each type that you can sell for money.  I haven't seen it yet, but according to what the game says getting all 10 of a set lets you sell for more money.  You can also put these items back on planets and from what I've seen they do sometime gain a gathering of creatures (usually making you pick up a few of them when you try to get the item back).

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:48:25 pm »
Thanks Moogie - senient = stay in one place as in Tribal (Tribel??sp) Home.

No.

Sentient = able to perceive or feel things.
In science fiction, an alien, android, robot or computer who is described as "sentient" is often ascribed qualities such as will, desire, consciousness, ethics, personality, intelligence, insight, and so on. Sentience is being used in this context to describe an essential human property that brings all these other qualities with it.

You are probably thinking of...

Sessile = fixed in one place; immobile.

... or...

Sedentary = tending to spend much time seated; somewhat inactive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:51:28 pm by eleazar »

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 03:21:40 pm »
Thanks again for the replies.

Eleazar - oops senior moment  :o sedentary was what I was thinking of **embarrrrresed**

bluntaxe - that is probably what 'they' were talking about! I have not reached the Space Age yet - only gotten to Civ.

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:30:51 am »
Grrrrr - I still can't get the legs to look right - well unless I want big round bottoms on my creatures  ;)

When I push the top joints together (over the critter or under it) I make an upside-down V of the legs - good so far - but when I try to add them to the body I get a BUMP on top of the spine. When I try to move this down-inside the legs either merge into one or 'jump' back to the "bottom bulges" or round hips.

I could swear there was a way to get something to go inside the body - some key combo to use or trick??? I was looking at some of the other creations (Sporpedia and ingame) and THEY have figured this out  :D

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 05:41:56 am »
There was IIRC an idea about collecting sticks and shells to upgrade your nest at one point, but i believe that idea was dropped.

One time I had my Posse and we were sining to a tribe, trying to befreind them, singing along, and WHAM! one of my posse members got hit with a stick some one threw at him and knocked him out. I laughed. I guess they didnt like his singing.  :D. He wouldnt sing after that.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:09:00 am »
I could swear there was a way to get something to go inside the body - some key combo to use or trick??? I was looking at some of the other creations (Sporpedia and ingame) and THEY have figured this out  :D

I takes some practice and it won't always work right but:

Make the two legs connect at one joint. So it looks like a V or a U, depending on how many joints you have and the shape you want. Place them either on the top or bottom and as directly on the spine as you can. Decrease the size of that spine (roll the mouse wheel) until it's the smallest it can be. Increase the size of the spines just next to the "Leg Spine", but keep in mind to keep resizing the Leg Spine as shaping those spines makes it larger. Then rotate your camera and zoom in so you have a nice view of the area you want the leg to go. Click on the leg, but click on any space between the joints do not click on the joint that's on the spine. Drag the leg down or up and you should see the leg start to get surrounded by the "flesh" around it. Resize the "hip" joint until it matches as close as possible the area next to it.

You'll get something like this:

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 08:43:09 am »
Thanks OpDDay - I will try that!!