Author Topic: Spore Tips and Tricks  (Read 100681 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Tips and Tricks
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
If someone will make a good "Tips and Tricks" thread and keep it updated, I'll sticky it. The OP here can do it or if someone else wants to do it, that's fine. Make it in a nice easy to read list form.

I'll get to work on that.  I'll separate them according to phase.  Hopefully I'll have it posted at the beginning at the end of the day.

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:57 am »
If you don't have megabombs, or don't have the budget, but you have picked up some fancy land modelling tools like Crystal Seas or Terra Seas, use it on your enemies. It is an instakill.

As are several other terraforming tools, like using the Heat Ray to melt the planet and detonate all the cities.  Costs nothing but energy and is just as effective as bombing everything or using a Gravitation Wave.  Good times.  :)

Here's another tip:

When taking over an empire through economic means (trade routes --> system purchase), leave one system alone and let them keep it.  Ally with them at this point and you receive the following benefits:

1)  Allies will provide you with a ship for your fleet whenever you ask.

2)  With only one system, the likelihood of having to save them from biodisasters or pirate attacks is lessened.

3)  You are less likely to get dragged into a war when they only have one system, and it's surrounded by yours.

4)  You will continue to benefit from whatever discounted tools they have available.

Doing your allies this way seems to be the best way to balance the good parts of having an ally with the bad.  If you have a monstrous ally, you will have monstrous numbers of distress signals to go with them.  Keep them small to get every benefit you can, and if all else fails, they're that much easier to wipe out if necessary.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Adding -state:CellEditor to your shortcut opens up more cell parts (Found by DarkDragon)

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline DavidS

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:02 am »
When you have finished the cell stage as a carnivore and you creating your character to evolve onto land, you can put a filter mouth on your creature (I use the filter as decoration). This will allow you to eat fruit in the creature stage even though you have the carnivore special power and only have access to carnivore mouths (This won't unlock any herbivore or omnivore mouths.)

Being able to eat fruit helps you heal without having to fight other creatures.

-David

Offline mappam

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:55 pm »
Adding -state:CellEditor to your shortcut opens up more cell parts (Found by DarkDragon)

What do you mean by "CellEditor or your shortcut"? How do you do this? Thanks
I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Painting Tricks
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:12 pm »
PDF... :(

Bleh, I'll have to reinstall Foxit...

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:19 pm »
- If you clear out the My Spore Creations\Creatures (or Buildings/Vehicles/etc) before installing Spore or in addition to deleting the various hidden caches, then next time you run the game Spore will automatically download your creations off of Sporepedia and they will appear under My Creations and be marked as uploaded.

Where do we find these "hidden caches"?  A search of the forum did not turn up an explanation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:53:53 am by eleazar »

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 12:58:40 am »
Some more goodies for you Libby:

1) The planet buster diplomacy affect is called "Broke Galactic Code" it is a penalty of about -105.  But more importantly, it is a LOCALIZED effect.  It seems the range is around 30 parsecs or so.

2)(This is tenative)  It appears if a planet is raided it will auto defend and auto repair.  However, it seems that if turrets are damaged during the attack they must be manually fixed, damaged turrets will appear as slightly tilted.  (You may notice they only sell for 12k as well.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:03:37 am by Rusted »
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 01:02:38 am »
Under Vista, it is C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\SPORE, under XP somewhere else. You lose a lot of stuff doing this though, so I don't really recommend it (when I tried to continue my saved game every species had changed, including the one I was playing).

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 01:16:08 am »
Space Tip: Found yourself at war, but don't want to spend a kajillion Sporebucks fighting? Rally a couple of pals to your cause, and then buy what is the most useful weapon ever: The Cloud disperser (I believe it's called).All you gotta do now is fly around at max speed with the button for the CD held down, and wallah! Your enemy's planet is reduced to T0, with a single town hall to speak for (and you didn't even get hurt)!
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 01:17:22 am »
Actually, heat ray, freeze ray, cloud disperser and cloud vacuum all work as good. I prefer using heat ray, because then their planet becomes a magma planet and they burn to death.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 01:32:36 am »
Actually, heat ray, freeze ray, cloud disperser and cloud vacuum all work as good. I prefer using heat ray, because then their planet becomes a magma planet and they burn to death.

Point taken.

The lesson, kids, is that terraforming tools make for relaxing pass-times and devastating weapons of war!
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 02:02:15 am »
You can quickly switch between full screen and windowed mode by pressing Alt+Enter
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:22:41 am by Pixxel »
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 02:08:16 am »

Point taken.

The lesson, kids, is that terraforming tools make for relaxing pass-times and devastating weapons of war!

Or the point could be interpreted that this has been mentioned, just a few times, in this thread alone.

Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 01:58:36 pm »
If you terraform an allies planet for the better it is a HUGE diplomacy bonus.

AoE heal will not heal you if your shield are up.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:59:48 pm by Rusted »
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.