Author Topic: Collective Patch Issues  (Read 23446 times)

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Collective Patch Issues
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 06:23:32 am »
Hopefully Maxis can patch this fast.. or is there a way to un-patch this?

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 06:28:55 am »
Uninstall->Reinstall->Don't Install Patch = Unpatch

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 06:34:13 am »

:'(

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:06 am »
No dice. Though things are working a little better, but that could just be because I loaded a different save and was on my home planet. Creatures are still slow to load. So are weapon effects. Zooming in and out lags more than it used to.

That was the first thing I did before installing spore as I feared exactly that being on the edge of requirements in this field. Still with all the drivers and being well above requirement in all other demands I run Spore with medium quality and it usually runs quite good.

So in other words, drivers are good, and ATI indeed updated them recently.

I had the update for August.. something like August 28... I didn't realize they had been updated again so soon. Spore is able to accommodate a wide variety of systems which is fabulous... but my system shouldn't be having these problems where before there were none... I ran everything on high before, now going down to medium doesn't even help.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 06:42:53 am »

Wasn't that easy for me. Your mileage may vary, but this is what I did. (I use EADM)

Uninstalled game (saving content), reinstalled game, launch game, crash to desktop without even seeing the intro movie.

Rebooted. Started game, crash to desktop. grrr

Renamed content folder (my documents/my spore creations) and uninstalled the game again (saying yes to delete content).

Reboot

Reinstalled the game (this time on my C: drive, was on a different drive before)

Reboot

Ran game, it came up, said no to the patch, but all content is missing (because I renamed the folder)

At this point I don't know if I'm going to recover the content from my saved folder (again this is because I renamed the folder, I think the content might be glitched from the patch, like a revision number not matching up anymore). I was going to start a new race anyways since I'd reached the center of the galaxy. I might test reinstalling my content tonight, but then again, it should be on the sporepedia and I can reload it, I just lost my save games.

Good luck out there.

-Lego

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:44:45 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 07:04:58 am »
So does anyone know if Maxis is doing anything about this?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 07:07:23 am »
So does anyone know if Maxis is doing anything about this?

They probably are... but they're probably to busy fixing the issues to talk to us about it.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 07:26:09 am »
Chalk up another one to the "patch broke my game" line-up. I was playing Spore without a hitch (I've got a crash problem when leaving my homeworld for the solar system screen, but that's been successfully solved by just never zooming down to my home world, ever. I've already pollinated all the creatures from there on my colony planets anyways, so there's not much of a need other then being nostalgic.) but now with the patch bam bada boom disappearing laser ray, creatures, wonky stuff and everybodies best friend crashes to desktop! I'm looking forward to the next patch deleting Spore from my system and causing a windows fatal crash error! (I kid, I kid on the last bit ;) seriously though get on it Maxis! At least release a patch uninstaller so we can go back to our previous versions!)

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2008, 07:33:37 am »
I'm done with this, not even going to bother patching at all.

Seems pointless to do it as I keep getting error messages while trying to patch.

EADM has been removed from my computer, AGAIN....

- W -
* Sigh *

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2008, 07:49:28 am »
Perhaps the patch has either intentionally or unintentionally raised the system requirements?

Unintentionally, it seems so! I hope it can be fixed. If its intentional, I will be very unhappy, that'd mean no more Spore for me until I get a new rig.  :-\

It can't be intentional. They can't raise system specs in patch after everyone already bought it. They would have a bunch of riots on their hands.

I really hope it gets fixed soon, I really want to play.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2008, 08:01:18 am »
I'm pretty sure I lost my saved games from the reinstall up above. My content survived though and my acheivements are still listed on my sporepedia account. I just have to start from a single cell again.

-Lego

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:19 am »

Seems pointless to do it as I keep getting error messages while trying to patch.

- W -
* Sigh *

Between not getting the patch to work and the patch breaking the entire game, I think you've got the better deal mate. :-\ I'd direct you to fileplanet to get the patch but as is you're really better off not getting it till it's fixed.

Offline Woulfe

• Wizardry Whiz
  • 40 Years Of Pop-culture
    • View Profile
    • Spore Sillyness Site
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:51 am »

- W -
* Sigh *

Between not getting the patch to work and the patch breaking the entire game, I think you've got the better deal mate. :-\ I'd direct you to fileplanet to get the patch but as is you're really better off not getting it till it's fixed.

I did try the one from fileplanet as well, just to see if I'd get the same messages, I did....

Yea, at this point I'll wait 'till the patch for the patch, AND hope that one works =P

I don't mind not being able to use creatures I made before the game in the game itself just yet.

( The only part of the patch I'd be likely to use ASAP )

That and the "Lighto Trainer" may not work with the patched version once all is said and done.

- W -
* Meh *

Offline hilightnotes

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »
Get this: Spore's not even opening up for me right now.
I dowloaded the patch fine, everything seemed to be working. Played the game, everything was great.

That was yesterday.
Today I go to open the game and it tells me: "Could not find the default preferences. The data directory is missing or corrupt. [1004]". And then I click OK and it says: "Could not find a needed package. The data directory is missing or corrupt. [1004]".

I have no idea what happened. Yesterday there was one problem however - it wasn't opening, so I went onto my computer and looked for the exe file and found the Spore App file and opened it with that. And I deleted the shortcut since it wasn't working and took the Spore App shortcut.
Could this have caused the problem somehow? One other thing I did: I changed the name of the shortcut to Spore.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried starting it from the SporeApp file on the CD, and it didn't come up with the error message, but it said spore had to close before it even got to the EA logo. :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:45:56 pm by hilightnotes »
Spore username: highlight
Fan of: Spore. LOST, my brand new PS3

I love composing music. If you need any I might be able to supply!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »
I would feel better if we heard from maxis and knew they were working on it. I'm sitting here with an unplayable game with my fingers crossed that sometime in the not so distant future i will be able to play the game i love so much again.