Author Topic: Netrunner: Sign up for friendly tournament (or not, whatever)  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Netrunner: Sign up for friendly tournament (or not, whatever)
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:03 pm »
So recently some nerds have been playing Tabletop Simulator and trying out different board games, including Netrunner.

Netrunner is a neato cyberpunk card game. It has a tournament scene and deckbuilding and expansions and whatever but the core game is fun and deep enough to have a good time with (and while the game gets regular expansions and new cards it isn't a CCG so apparently there isn't so much janky power creep or pay2win garbage).

There's a client that lets you play in your browser http://www.jinteki.net/

Here's a tutorial video by the publisher: https://youtu.be/VAslVfZ9p-Y

A few of us are playing this at the moment (we're all still huge noobs though, none of us have even tried every faction of corps and runners yet) but it would be fun if more people got into it and we could have a friendly tournament on the forum. We'd use only the vanilla game set and the premade standard decks the game recommends for casual play so there'd be no deckbuilding this time around to keep things extra-simple.

Post in here if you'd be interested in a tournament and hit up me, celdur, wizard or anyone else who's already playing this if you want a game.  8)

Tentative Tournament Setup and Rules:

Players pick one Runner and one Corp deck and stick with those two for the rest of the tournament. Decks can be any legal deck (see netrunner rules) using core cards only. (Future tournaments will open up for expansion cards)

Probably bracketed match-ups. Each match will be played as the best of five games (i.e. first to three victories wins).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:41:06 pm by Krakow Sam »

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Netrunner: Sign up for friendly tournament (or not, whatever)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »
Do I also need table top sim?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
Nah you can use the online client if you like.

But if you get tabletop sim you can play other games with us like Secret Hitler ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
Am in.

Also I'll be picking up the expansions (irl) maybe in a month or two. If anyone wants to come over (celdur) and play let me know!

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:44:02 pm »
So is it like Shadowrunner as a card game?

If i pick corp or runner do i have to generally stick with it?

I'd like to play in the tourny
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14:19 pm »
No idea how tourney rules or scenarios work. What's the deal, Sam?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:53:22 pm »
I tried watching the intro video and all the unnecessary jargon made me grumpy.  Or maybe it's just late.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 12:45:37 am »
So is it like Shadowrunner as a card game?

I'd say setting and mechanics-wise it's more like Neuromancer.

If i pick corp or runner do i have to generally stick with it?

Normally you can switch around as you like. For our first tournament we're considering getting people to just pick their corp and runner at the start and then stick with them for the purposes of the tournament so there's some persistence and people know what they're up against.

No idea how tourney rules or scenarios work. What's the deal, Sam?

We're just making it up. So far we're thinking there'll be some sort of bracketed match-ups. Everyone will play each other as corp and runner at least once.

I tried watching the intro video and all the unnecessary jargon made me grumpy.  Or maybe it's just late.

The jargon isn't entirely unnecessary since a lot of the text on the cards will say like "Take one card from the Heap" and if they called it the discards for both runner and corp it would be ambiguous what the card was referring to. But yeah, probably you were just tired :Y

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:11:28 pm »
I like the Hearthstone 3 decks best of 5, maybe something similar? Corp/Runner/Corp or Runner/Corp/Runner? You'd have to have 4 decks ready which seems like a lot at this point but, one deck just seems too few, though, as if you make some bum choices you're ruined for the whole thing ya know?

Maybe 3 decks, we can draft up who wants 2 corps 1 runner vs 2 runner 1 corp, and then bracket in such a way that ensure only 2c1r go against 1c2r?

Or just 2 decks each bo3

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
Nah you can use the online client if you like.

But if you get tabletop sim you can play other games with us like Secret Hitler ;)

Can you explain Secret Hitler?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »
I am Hitler every time.

That's the secret.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »
You start by handing out a bunch of secret roles to everyone.
You can become either facist or liberal, and one of the facists (Patman) is literally hitler.
The liberals have a slight majority.

Each turn one person gets to be president, and he will choose to elect someone as chancellor.
Then everyone votes ja or nein, majority ja means it gets enacted, otherwise the president passes along to the next player.
When there is a president and chancellor, the President draws 3 cards.
In the card stack there are facist cards and liberal cards. The president looks at the 3 cards he got, discards one facedown, and gives the other 2 to the chancellor facedown.
Then the chancellor looks at the 2 cards, and enacts one while discarding the other facedown.
This is where the fun part comes in, because either player could lie as much as they want about which cards they got, since only the enacted one becomes known to all players.
After a policy card is enacted, the presidency moves on to the next player.

Facist cards unlock facist one-use abilities with nearly each one enacted. Some might allow the president to inspect another players loyalty, or perhaps look at the top 3 cards of the deck.
But again, only he knows what he sees, and could lie about it all he wants.
There is also a bullet ability, which allows the president to kill another player.

The liberals win if they enact 5 liberal policies or shoot hitler.
The Facists win if they enact 6 facist cards or elect hitler as chancellor after 3 facist policies have been enacted.

That's basically all of it, leaving out a few rules.
It's a very simple game but also full of fun ways to bull**** your way through.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxeQKqsd9-s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxeQKqsd9-s</a>

Anyway, on topic, making runner decks is much much harder than making corp decks.
I dunno if that's because I like corp more, or because runners just rely on their deck structure much more.

I like the Hearthstone 3 decks best of 5, maybe something similar? Corp/Runner/Corp or Runner/Corp/Runner? You'd have to have 4 decks ready which seems like a lot at this point but, one deck just seems too few, though, as if you make some bum choices you're ruined for the whole thing ya know?

Maybe 3 decks, we can draft up who wants 2 corps 1 runner vs 2 runner 1 corp, and then bracket in such a way that ensure only 2c1r go against 1c2r?

Or just 2 decks each bo3

And yeah, we could do more than 1 deck, but maybe have each player stick to 1 runner faction and 1 corp faction.
So for example I'd stick with Weyland/Anarch
But if we're doing a core only tournament, the only real way to get more decks out is by splicing with influence, and I'm not sure how much variety you could get out of that.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »
So if I buy Tabletop Sim, what do I have to do to play Secret Hitler? How does it know?

As for Netrunner it's pretty hard to figure out here, especially when i tried on that website, i felt like i was taking too long just reading what my cards did to even bother developing any sort of strategy around them and i was just wasting his time haha

Edit: Do i get other games? would it be too much to ask for an explanation of what the thing is because everything is see about it is vague
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:14:35 pm by eropS »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:35:23 pm »
There are free files on Steam Workshop for all of these games.

It's really that simple. It's amazing how many otherwise expensive board games you can play for free with Tabletop Simulator.