Author Topic: Urge to be unconstructive, rising...  (Read 14383 times)

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Urge to be unconstructive, rising...
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 01:14:12 pm »
but I know quite a few people who might raise their eyebrows at seeing things like "god damn that's nice" directed at their children.  I don't know anyone who would throw a tantrum over it, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't like it.

And what, exactly, are they trying to protect their children from?  ???

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
but I know quite a few people who might raise their eyebrows at seeing things like "god damn that's nice" directed at their children.  I don't know anyone who would throw a tantrum over it, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't like it.
Yeah, but i'm pretty sure those parents would rather have the bans handed out to the people using explitives pertaining to sexual acts and bodily functions, and the warnings given to people saying 'damn', rather than the other way around. :P

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »

Something that they perceive to be bad or impolite.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:28 pm »

Yes, different families have different ideas on what is polite.  If we go to my in-laws house, cursing is okay and commonplace (but not around the children).  When we visit my parents, it's a completely different environment.  Nobody talks like that.  Young kids don't understand those kind of differences.  They don't have the internal filter that you get as you grow older. 

I'm sure everyone can agree that there are times when cursing (even mild cursing) is not acceptable.  Young ones don't always know how to make that decision.  So, as far as bad words go, you're not protecting the child, you're protecting yourself from having those bad words pop out at inopportune times. 

When one of my kids was two or three, he shouted "son of a bitch!" in his pre-school class, because he had heard me say it at home.  He wasn't angry (in other words, he didn't even use it correctly), but he did yell it with the right inflection.

He didn't care.  The other kids didn't care.  Even the teachers didn't particularly care, because they have heard much worse.  I luckily wasn't even there.  But, my wife felt about 1 inch tall, even though nobody even said anything about it.   

Sorry for the long post, but just to relate it back to the thread subject, my kids are starting to learn to read.  In a few months, they will be able to read things like the comment that the OP was referring to.  I really don't want them thinking that's an appropiate way to complement something you like.  It's okay in certain settings.  If you're hanging out with friends, and everybody talks like that, then have fun with it.  I have absolutely no problem with that.  But I can just see one of mine getting a star from his teacher, and saying "god damn that's nice". 

All I'm saying is sometimes it's not appropriate.  I'm totally fine with EA erring on the side of caution.  They still need to iron out the kinks, to avoid absurd things like "This airplane has a ****pit", or "My car has bullet proof gl***".   But I applaud the effort to keep it clean.  (Now, if only I could follow suit at home). 

P.S. Sorry if this double posts -- looks like it didn't go through the first time.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 02:38:21 pm »
And another update, a second email was yet another regurgitated, pre-formulated response. Once again pointing him to :
"Strong vulgar language, crude or explicit sexual references, discussions of illegal drugs, and hate speech are always inappropriate Content for EA Online. Content standards may vary depending on where you are on EA Online, the type of game you are playing and the expectations of the community. Some game play and chat rooms may involve use of stronger language than others, including mild expletives. Always use your best judgment in online conduct. If you would not say something in a room full of people you have never met, or in the workplace, don't post it on our message boards or chat.”
“If we removed Content that you created, we may send you a warning. If it's a serious offense or you've violated our rules before, we may ban you from participating on EA Online and terminate your Account.”

Once again referring to things that "damn" is not. Given he has never had any other run-ins with them, that means his writing "god damn" was a "serious offense". Something more serious than sh**y wh***. Something more serious than willfully uploading genetalia creatures. The first email barely addressed his question of what he did that warranted the ban. When he pointed out, that according to the rules and the email, he didnt actually break any rules with his comment... this second email (basically saying the same thing), also ended with :

"Any additional incidents or disputes regarding this particular issue will no longer be discussed."
With the exception here being that there was no discussion to begin with, just regurgitating a piece of the rules despite not actually having been broken at all, and an unduly large punishment, totally skipping any form of warning, being slapped down instantly.

What little credibility I reserved for them has now vanished.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 05:35:12 pm »
I really don't want them thinking that's an appropiate way to complement something you like.

You might try teaching them. My parents cuss like sailors. I learned very early not to say certain things around adults. Kids are capable of learning.

Your children will be exposed to bad language, violence, and sex. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Instead of attempting to futility shield children, we might try teaching them what is appropriate in society.

Offline ScotlandTom

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 06:15:13 pm »
I think a 7 day ban is fairly harsh.  A warning might've been a more appropriate reaction.

Those in charge of monitoring content on Spore I think are right in erring on the side of caution.  You never know who might be playing and what the rules of that person's household are.  Some people out there (myself somewhat included) take profanity much more seriously than others.  Just because the use of a particular word has become commonplace doesn't make the word clean, it might simply mean that everyone is used to spewing filth.

I don't take quite that harsh a stance.  I'll throw out the odd "damn" or "son of a b----!" now and again, but I tend to use the terms in fewer circumstances than many people do.  I also tend to put lesser used words like "dolent" and "misocapnist" to use my everyday speech, so perhaps vocabulatory laziness is the issue.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:16:56 pm by ScotlandTom »
  "I put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else... except I'm better at it."  -- Me

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 07:10:33 pm »
The game is rated 12+, any kid 12 or over who is offended by the word damn is either never left their house or have such strict parents that they wouldn't have the game any way.
Doesn't the game also have the standard "Game experience may change during online play" disclaimer too?
Including that lnie usually means that the ESRB rating only applies to the content in the box. Not user-created content.

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 07:41:07 pm »
Here in the UK it is still a very offensive term, up there with the 'n' word.

No it is not.

No, I'm pretty sure calling a black man a wog here is grounds to have him punch your chops into the back of your head.  ::)

Children learn their sense of bad or impoliteness mostly from their parents. At a young age the only person finding any offense or threat from something as silly as a word is you, if I may be that blunt. :)

Your child simply wont have developed or learned the means to understand the concept that a word is honestly "bad" or "wrong".

Ironically its that overzelious urge to protect their kids from something that causes silly situations where a word and other things conveyed to them as taboo.

Theres tribes where women walk about completely topless and the menfolk don't bat an eyelid, but because we so completely sexualize and make taboo the human body, our kids see how we react to that and they adopt our silly attitudes towards legitimate language and "indecency" into adulthood and continue the nasty cycle.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:49:04 pm by nurizeko »

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »
WTF is that supposed to mean?  ???

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »
Here in the UK it is still a very offensive term, up there with the 'n' word.

No it is not.

No, I'm pretty sure calling a black man a wog here is grounds to have him punch your chops into the back of your head.  ::)
In Australia, Wog has always referred mainly to Italians and Greeks. Stereotypically anyone of olive complexion and more than average body hair.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:07:14 pm by spiritofcat »

Offline nurizeko

• Battlezone Captain
  • Ske-RWOAWR! >:3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

It means people get banned for the word "damn" or because a creature looks just a tad too explicit is someones overactive imagination.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04:29 pm »
Someone should really make a separate server for all the good SilentHill/Anatomically correct creatures.

They really should fix the censorship system. Almost any word can have vulgar implications in one language or another. For instance, the word "Baka" can mean cow in one language and i***t in another. :-\

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »

It means people get banned for the word "damn" or because a creature looks just a tad too explicit is someones overactive imagination.

Sorry, seems some people posted while I was reading something else and I didn't notice. I meant "Wog". Never heard such in my life.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
Someone should really make a separate server for all the good SilentHill/Anatomically correct creatures.

I think Maxis WANTS that. It's kinda the idea of making the creatures in tiny png files that can be emailed, p2p, websited... it wouldn't be that hard to set up a program that goes to a website, reads a server log, locates all new files, downloads them to your spore creations folder, and there you go! You'd just have to click "update" on another webpage or desktop icon before going into Spore.

Heck, if I set up a website where people could submit their penis creatures through an online form, search through all uploaded creatures and download the ones they want with the click of a button, i've basically created my own private online sporepedia. it just doesn't link automatically with Spore - you have to do it externally like we all did with the CC to see others creatures.

And Maxis wouldn't care - you're free to create and upload penis creatures, and download and enjoy the game using penis creatures, and share penis creatures with their friends, and EA is off the hook if some parent complains. You can't sue Crayola if a kid draws a penis -- but if Crayola included sample penis tracings in the box, then they'd be in trouble.