Author Topic: PS3 is the new PC  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Faxanadu ELC

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That rug really tied the room together.
    • View Profile
PS3 is the new PC
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:04:08 pm »
Definitely not politically correct - according to Sony's Phil Harrison, PCs will soon become irrelevant.

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

This quote was taken from an article in the latest Der Spiegel, which is a german mag, although I found the store here:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html
I cannot bring up the Der Spiegel website, I think it might be down - http://www.spiegel.de/.

Harrison also said that the PS3 controller's motion sensitivity was not a reaction to the Wii, and I have already forgiven him.
"In a certain way, I understand why people would say [such things], but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so," said Harrison.

Now the previous comment that the PS3 would sell even if they didn't make games for it makes sense. I just wonder if Sony will let Microsoft make an OS for the PC4...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 is the new PC
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:14:37 pm »
This is ridiculous. Weren't Sony fanboys bashing the Xbox because it's so similar to a PC? I don't want a computer, I want a video game console. If I want to do all of these PC functions, I'll use my PC. Much more comfortable to do PC funtions with a mouse and keyboard than with a game controller.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:12:27 am »
They were also bashing it because it was big, and heavy - the PS3 is bigger and heavier.  They also continuously claimed gameplay was better than graphics, now the complete opposite is true.  The PS3 is better, because it's more powerful.

I want to say there's too much Sony bashing going on here, but when they keep coming out with crap like this..   They're treating the hardcore fans, gamers, and the general consumers like retards.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:41:27 am »
Stupid, stupid man.

No-one is going to use a PS3 as a PC... ever.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:03:43 am »
Harrison also said that the PS3 controller's motion sensitivity was not a reaction to the Wii, and I have already forgiven him.
"In a certain way, I understand why people would say [such things], but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so," said Harrison.
Of course it's stupid; we've already established that it was the GBA's tilt games they were ripping off!  :P

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 04:12:33 am »
Geeeze, I don't want somet to do my computer stuff, I allready have that: it's called A COMPUTER!
If I were to buy a PS3 I would buy it because it was a games console.
I don't wanna pay extra for stuff I wont use, I allready did that when I bought the PS2 and found that it had a music player on it - which I never used cos I allready had tonnes.

Their basicly going the same rout as the XBOX did, trying to make it too swis-army-knife for it's own good.

I remember, fondly, back when the xbox 2 was released, I think it was the second, anyways, but they said they wanted to make it more women freindly by giving it extra functions.
So a news crew went out and asked several women on the street what they thought of it and they all had pretty much the same reaction, that they allready had stuff to do all that.
Then they asked men, the gadgeters sounded interested but again alot said they didn't care about that stuff. No self-respecting gamer does.

Hollon, looking back again, wasnt it the playstation advertising the fact that you could create content on your PC for the games on the new generation, and then move it over to be used? hmmmmmmmm....

eh, this just strengthens my want of a nintendo revolution (I know their now called wii's, but it's a stupid name)

werechicken

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 04:51:32 am »
Since a PS3 costs more than a fairly cheap PC, I doubt the PS3 will oust them.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:40:20 am »
Does anyone remember when console wars were fought between rival consoles and not a bunch of "I'm not really a console -- but we're still the best!" jerk-offs like this? I mean, it's fun watching Sony attempt to persuade people that they'll magically oust the Live service on their first real try, but now they're claiming they can do the same to the PC ... Come on, people, why are you so ashamed to just say you made a games console? Is that really so bad? I mean at this point, whose playbook haven't you stolen from?

Ken, Phil ... guys ... say it with me: "It's a toy." Just say it. You'll feel better.

Offline PhantomVI

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 09:18:53 am »
So I'm going to be able to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and record music on my PS3? Neat!
/sarcasm
A spunky load of noodles.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:49:36 am »
I see, I wonder if I'll be able to burn DVD's, while mounting an Image, work on my website, and play Sim City 4 at the same time...

wait.....

I won't?

yeah...what a joke.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:57:33 am »
The PC has better games than the PS3 anyway. Seems like Sony's marketing machine-gun hates their feet.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:18:20 am »
I hate what the console wars are about now. It used to be all about the games. Now, its all about Blu-ray and all of these techno media features nobody cares about.

I feel like Sony is just using Playstation 3 to carry Blu-ray into homes. Sony cares more about Blu-ray than it does about its new console.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 10:20:52 am »
I see, I wonder if I'll be able to burn DVD's, while mounting an Image, work on my website, and play Sim City 4 at the same time...

wait.....

I won't?

yeah...what a joke.

Obviously, people in Japan don't use many applications on their computers or this would seem like a stupid notion to pretty much everyone. Sorry to break it to Phil and the Boys, but people over here use their PCs for a myriad of interesting functions beyond surfing the net and watching DVDs. Thanks, however, for the try.

Quote from: Pilot4Life
I feel like Sony is just using Playstation 3 to carry Blu-ray into homes. Sony cares more about Blu-ray than it does about its new console.

Of course that's what they're doing. Blu-Ray wins, Sony rakes in billions on licensing fees. They just have to sit there ... and count money. If it fails, however ... Sony fanboys better start finding a new company to endorse, 'cause the console wars might have one less competitor next go-around.

And speaking of which, how amazing would that be? To go from the leader in the industry to nearly bankrupting yourself. By all accounts, Sony has placed its considerable future on the success of the PS3 --- which is odd, 'cause their unveiling at E3 was absolutely dismal. I mean, they didn't even bring their A game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:25:35 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:49 am »

wy would i buy a ps3 when i can buy a comp from 2000 that costs like, 400-500 dollars, get it firefox, and buy a wii and STILL have it cheaper with most of the features. :-\
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 10:40:02 am »

wy would i buy a ps3 when i can buy a comp from 2000 that costs like, 400-500 dollars, get it firefox, and buy a wii and STILL have it cheaper with most of the features. :-\

But, Aname ... what would you do without Riiiiidge Racer!?