Author Topic: PS3 Interface  (Read 11154 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Interface
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 10:41:06 am »
Japan isn't going to wait for a FF XIII release date. I guanuntee it will sell out on day 1. After all of the early adopters and hardcore fans get their console though...I'm not so sure.

Funny, depending on the price of the Wii, you can get a Wii and 7-8 games with it for the price of one PS3.

Based on Famitsu's poll though, I have to wonder how many people will buy the PS3 outside of early adopters and hardcore fanatics. In which case, I think FF XIII will make a definite impact upon their console sales to those that aren't diehard about picking up the latest Sony tech.

That said, the Wii is going to sell like a damn maniac in Japan. Seriously.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 12:57:27 pm »
i think the selling of the consoles wil be a lil bit equel to the handhelds... i mean their both the same.... ds is new controls as is the wii and the psp is multimedia as is the ps3

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 08:28:00 am »
Japan isn't going to wait for a FF XIII release date. I guanuntee it will sell out on day 1. After all of the early adopters and hardcore fans get their console though...I'm not so sure.

Funny, depending on the price of the Wii, you can get a Wii and 7-8 games with it for the price of one PS3.

Based on Famitsu's poll though, I have to wonder how many people will buy the PS3 outside of early adopters and hardcore fanatics. In which case, I think FF XIII will make a definite impact upon their console sales to those that aren't diehard about picking up the latest Sony tech.

Everyone there is a hardcore fanatic. Well, not everyone, but...

And yeah, I suppose the Wii will do alright there. I mean, its not like they're buying the DS like crazy, right?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 09:19:15 am »

Everyone there is a hardcore fanatic. Well, not everyone, but...

No, everyone is. But the Famitsu readers typically rank really high in terms of hardcore fanaticism and yet they were hesitant over the price. That's what caught me off-guard about it. I never expected that result. Hell, most of them will probably end up buying it anyway, but it was a noteworthy statistic all the same.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2006, 12:18:14 am »
Japanese RPG's are no where near as popular as they were a few years ago, it seems most people got pretty tired of them.  Even Dragon Quest VIII sold quite poorly.  I think Final Fantasy XII will be the ultimate test though, to see how well it does in the western market.  In Japan though, I think everyone can already predict that the PS3 will out sell the 360, because most of them will only play JRPG's, and refuse to touch any machine made by "foreign devils". 

Okay, maybe that's going a bit far, but that seems to be how they feel.  It will at least be interesting to see if the Wii can beat out the PS3.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2006, 12:39:09 am »
ya well dragon quest VIII sucked,

final fantasy is teh ownage

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2006, 07:22:58 am »
Japanese RPG's are no where near as popular as they were a few years ago, it seems most people got pretty tired of them. Even Dragon Quest VIII sold quite poorly. I think Final Fantasy XII will be the ultimate test though, to see how well it does in the western market. In Japan though, I think everyone can already predict that the PS3 will out sell the 360, because most of them will only play JRPG's, and refuse to touch any machine made by "foreign devils".

Okay, maybe that's going a bit far, but that seems to be how they feel. It will at least be interesting to see if the Wii can beat out the PS3.

I lived there. On the whole, foreigners are not liked -- particularly American ones. And Microsoft being an American company, there ends that possibility.

And Clayface:

Dragon Quest VIII was an excellent RPG. It was far more enjoyable than the vast majority of the ones released nowadays and compares favorably to many RPGs that are considered sacrosanct at this point. It by no means sucked.

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2006, 10:27:43 am »
I like the PS3 interface better than the 360 one. The 360s interface has so much potential, but it's bogged down by MS's typical design style: bloated, glassy, and lacks proper size proportions. The PS3 / PSP interface is so clean and beautiful and has such wonderful negative space. However I must say that the 360 interface is one of the better designed things ever to come from MS, however it pales in comparison to the dashboard in Vista. Looks very sharp (considering I've only seen it in a low res video).

And just imagine the PS3 interface when you have hundreds of pictures or songs stored on it. ;D
It's just like the PSP design, it may look nice, but it's not very practical when you have a lot of media stored on it.

Incase you didn't watch it dude when she was flicking through the pics or something she pressed a button or something that makes it cycle through much faster making it quite practicle and best of all simplistic and easy to use. I'm not going to be looking at pics on my PS3 anyway, im going to be playing games, thats what it was made for and people need to keep that in mind.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2006, 10:55:48 am »
Japanese RPG's are no where near as popular as they were a few years ago, it seems most people got pretty tired of them.  Even Dragon Quest VIII sold quite poorly.  I think Final Fantasy XII will be the ultimate test though, to see how well it does in the western market.  In Japan though, I think everyone can already predict that the PS3 will out sell the 360, because most of them will only play JRPG's, and refuse to touch any machine made by "foreign devils". 

Okay, maybe that's going a bit far, but that seems to be how they feel.  It will at least be interesting to see if the Wii can beat out the PS3.

I lived there. On the whole, foreigners are not liked -- particularly American ones. And Microsoft being an American company, there ends that possibility.

And Clayface:

Dragon Quest VIII was an excellent RPG. It was far more enjoyable than the vast majority of the ones released nowadays and compares favorably to many RPGs that are considered sacrosanct at this point. It by no means sucked.

I must say that i agree with Clayface here.  Dragon Quest VIII was a terrible and very annoying game.  the beep after every battle just annoyed me to no end.  and the whole story was kinda boring and had too much grinding invovled.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2006, 11:16:01 am »
I must say that i agree with Clayface here. Dragon Quest VIII was a terrible and very annoying game. the beep after every battle just annoyed me to no end. and the whole story was kinda boring and had too much grinding invovled.

I can't believe anyone would like FF VII over DQ VIII, but I suppose it must happen on occasion. And compared to what was it boring? Most RPGs take forever to get anywhere with their stories; at least the voice-work was well done enough to keep it interesting, at least to me. And the only time I can remember grinding was because I got to Dhoulmagus too soon and couldn't beat him. Went out, fought for about an hour in the Royal Hunting Grounds, killed some metal slimes, leveled up, went back, and stomped him into the ground. That was the only time I can remember specifically grinding. But your mileage may vary. One thing is for sure: Compared to some Final Fantasy games, the amount I had to grind in DQ VIII was miniscule, though battles in it were usually far tougher at random intervals --- whereas I can walk through most FFs.

I don't know. Maybe it's because the DQ series is very old-fashioned. No clue. But the vast majority of critics all agree that it's a remarkably good game, as it has received unanimously positive reviews the world over.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2006, 11:53:37 am »
I've never actually played Dragon Quest, maybe it's just me, but I absoloutly dispise the Dragon Ball Z art style.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2006, 11:56:21 am »
*sigh* Akira Toriyama did the character artwork for Chrono Trigger as well, but I don't hear anyone saying that it's a crappy game for that reason. But I understand: An art-style grows popular, some people lash out at it. Whatever. I'm tired of hearing people complain about Toriyama. His designs are actually quite good, but hey, it's grown popular, everyone knows it, everyone's seen it, etc.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2006, 12:03:30 pm »
Well, it wasn't very noticable in Chrono Trigger, it being a 2D game, compared to a fully detailed 3D one on the PS2.
And hey, I'm not complaining about it because of DBZ, or because it's popular, or any kind of immature reason like that.  I just plain don't like how it looks.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2006, 12:05:34 pm »
Well, it wasn't very noticable in Chrono Trigger, it being a 2D game, compared to a fully detailed 3D one on the PS2.
And hey, I'm not complaining about it because of DBZ, or because it's popular, or any kind of immature reason like that. I just plain don't like how it looks.

That's forgiveable, I suppose. I didn't like how FF VII looked, so ... I guess everyone is even.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006, 04:41:56 pm »
I've never actually played Dragon Quest, maybe it's just me, but I absoloutly dispise the Dragon Ball Z art style.

do you mean how it is cell shaded?