Author Topic: How about glaciers? Ice ages? Volcanic Eruptions? Meteor strikes?  (Read 9570 times)

Offline DrJonez

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
These would be cool random events to have happen in the creature stage, and possibly in others as well. Not only would it add to the feel of realism, but it'd provide extra challenges for you too. Finding food would be more difficult during ice ages. The land could be sculpted and formed by glaciers. Meteor strikes could not only wipe out populations in the creature and other stages, but the difficulties of dealing with the lack of sunlight for some period of time after due to the dust it kicks up would be a big challenge. It'd also be kinda cool to save your planet from an incoming meteor by finding creative ways to blow it up or knock it off course with the UFO. Just some ideas :)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
Re: How about glaciers? Ice ages? Volcanic Eruptions? Meteor strikes?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:56:48 am »
I'd love to have that too, but on the other hand it can easily ruin your game.
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

werechicken

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:57:27 am »
you can initiate a comet strike or create a volcano but I doubt that ice ages and glaciers are possible. I think if you're planet is too far from the sun it will be frozen anyway.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:13:03 pm »
you can initiate a comet strike or create a volcano but I doubt that ice ages and glaciers are possible. I think if you're planet is too far from the sun it will be frozen anyway.

Well, in one of the videos, Will says "your creature will have to adapt the global changes." Perhaps he means global climate changes. Also, distance from the sun, although a key factor, does not necessarily mean a planet will be frozen. The amount of atmosphere and internal heat-sources have tremendous influence on how hot a planet will be.

Venus, for example, is much hotter (Max temp: 900F) than Earth, even though our differences in distance from the sun aren't huge. Venus's atmosphere is what makes it sustain the heat. Also, deep inside the gas giants, the temperatures are suspected to high. So if your planet has alot of atmosphere, you can have a tropical environment even if you're far (at least in Spore).

I really hope there are random events like these. It's also been confirmed in the CGW article that there'll be random visits from UFOs during early stages...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:24:37 pm »
random events sound nice, but why to destroy all the creaturs?

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:24:51 pm »
The amount of atmosphere and internal heat-sources have tremendous influence on how hot a planet will be.

Venus, for example, is much hotter (Max temp: 900F) than Earth, even though our differences in distance from the sun aren't huge. Venus's atmosphere is what makes it sustain the heat. Also, deep inside the gas giants, the temperatures are suspected to high. So if your planet has alot of atmosphere, you can have a tropical environment even if you're far (at least in Spore).

Not only that, it also is hotter than Mercury.

Given that this is a Maxis game, if there are disasters they're probably toggleable.
All is number -Pythagoras

Offline edspore_91

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 01:36:11 pm »
yeh they will probaly have natural diasters, like they do in the simcities, stuff like volcanoes and twiste, etc.
i think ice ages are a bit extreme to work with the game, but there i suppose you could get seasons, like summer and winter, or just wet peroiod and dry period.
Now its just a waiting game until next year

Offline DrJonez

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:43:49 pm »
I'm not suggesting that the events are so extreme that they destroy a whole species of creatures, just things that throw unexpected challenges at you. Plus you have to remember, Spore is a game. You don't always win at a game. Sometimes you lose. But even if you did lose, you've got save games to fall back on :)

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:22:14 pm »
right.  if there's an asteroid impact, obviously it should happen far away from your creature, and you don't have to deal with the immediate catastrophe - after all, you're supposed to be one of the survivors.  instead you would deal with the extreme darkness and cold and starvation caused by the dust in the atmosphere.  likewise, an ice age likely won't throw a glacier your way (it might) but instead you'll probably have the climate in your area changing.  it might even be better for you during the cold periods.  for example, during our ice ages, the saharra was a lush countryside thick with vegetation.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:06:12 pm »
I must admit, I'm surprised, but Leng has a good idea here. I think it'd be great to have to adapt suddenly from a large, bulk beast to a creature in a jungle to a speedy wolf-like one that has to hunt it's prey across the vast tundra. It'd be excellent in my opinion. It'd be even better in tribal stage, where you could potentially be forced to relocate, following herds, or stay in one place to fish when the oceans melt.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:58:52 pm »
I doubt that there would be seasons since the entire planet tends to be one climate.  But it would be cool if there were 'age-seasons' like ice ages.  :)

Offline quizzle

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 12:31:03 am »
I would count on it.
Will Wright made all the Sim City games, remember?

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 05:03:18 am »
I would count on it.

That worries more than it helps. But Will has said there will be procedural weather. He has also said, however, it will have nothing to do with your creature. That's pretty dissapointing.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 06:21:06 am »
I would count on it.

That worries more than it helps. But Will has said there will be procedural weather. He has also said, however, it will have nothing to do with your creature. That's pretty dissapointing.

What do you mean?  The weather doesn't depend on your creature or the creatures doesn't need to change based on the weather?
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54:31 am »
i hope will wright has Came along way since

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtoraGP-pzg&search=spore

because then were screwed
Never mind your own business.