Author Topic: Other creatures evolve?  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Opera

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Other creatures evolve?
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:25:02 pm »
Okay, first of all, let me apologize in advance if this has already been discussed. I did a search and didn't find anything.

So my question is do the other creatures on your planet evolve alongside yours? I was watching the Spore demo, and I noticed that after Will Wright evolves his creature, the zebra-striped herbivores remain the same. Now, I know that was just a demo and that the game isn’t finished, but it kind of got me thinking about how other creatures would evolve. As far as I can tell, there are three possibilities:

-   The game evolves the other creatures procedurally. I hope that that’s not the case, because it would kind of defeat the purpose of uploading your creatures to the server.
-   The creature goes through the same evolution as it did in its creator’s game. That seems like the best option to me, but it has a few problems. Like what if the creator of that creature stops playing Spore in the middle of the creature stage? And if the other guy spend fewer or more generations in creature mode than you did, then you’ll either have a creature that stays the same through your creature’s last few evolutions, or a creature that didn’t get to fully evolve before the end of your creature stage.
-   Other creatures on your planet stay the same. That’s kind of boring.

I hope that all made sense. So what do you guys think?

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Other creatures evolve?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:32:01 pm »
As far as we know, creatures don't evolve. Having a computer figure out what to do with a player's creation is one thing, but I imagine intelligently altering a creation is harder still. However, Will has said that there will always be creatures above and below you in the food chain... so if you drastically improve your creature, something new will show up to challenge you.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:02:42 pm »
they said they were gonna give a try at computer evolution but my best guess is that they will evolve as their creator made them and if they disappear, easy explanation -> extinct :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 09:22:25 pm »
As far as we know, creatures don't evolve.

it is possible... it would be very simple to do...  but I agree with my brother cephalopod here...   and now I go off to a corner to cry...  :(

Offline Clappingman

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:47:07 pm »
I imagine that instead of other creatures evolving the ecosystem does. That is, when your creature evolves the ecosystem required for the game changes, ie. If you were a carnivore, and now you're a herbie, then the game might pull in some extra carnies to prey on you.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:55:36 am »
they said they were gonna give a try at computer evolution but my best guess is that they will evolve as their creator made them and if they disappear, easy explanation -> extinct :P
This would be the easiest and the best way I think.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:59:59 am »
it's the best way while still retaining authorship and 'original' creatures... but it's a very very poor substitute for evolution (I'm not claiming that the fans want evolution, or even that Wright wants it... but I certainly do).

There is a very practical and simple way to make a true evolutionary system in the game.  But that would mean Hydro's Nauceans (and all of our own creatures) would change beyond recognition and we'd lose all the point in having player made content.

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:23:53 am »
I remember Will saying something about evolving environment or/and predators/prey... but I may be wrong. I think I heard it in one of Hydros videos.
I'm trying to find out
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:23 am »
when you rich to the 3 stage(after the creatur), ther is no evolving for any creatur on that planet...
creaturs are added to the galexy acording to your stage of evolution.

Offline professor

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
Actually, I think other creatures will evolve mentally, but not physically.  How else would dropping a monolith on a planet and coming back to see how they've turned out work?

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 10:32:46 am »
Actually, I think other creatures will evolve mentally, but not physically.  How else would dropping a monolith on a planet and coming back to see how they've turned out work?

yes, very interesting thought
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 10:33:49 am »
the monolith effects only on other plants...
there can't be 2 rulers to a plant.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 10:41:43 am »
the monolith effects only on other planets...
there can't be 2 rulers to a planet.

Just wondering where you are from?  I've noticed many similar mistakes in your threads in the past.  Please read through them before posting, it can be hard to understand what you are saying.

Also why couldn't there be 2 city-level species on a single planet?  Your own is the only one we know of where there will be only 1.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 10:55:11 am »
I think will wright said that it would be so. Cannot remember where though.

Offline 10la ba 2sik

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 01:19:45 pm »
the monolith effects only on other planets...
there can't be 2 rulers to a planet.

Just wondering where you are from?  I've noticed many similar mistakes in your threads in the past.  Please read through them before posting, it can be hard to understand what you are saying.

Also why couldn't there be 2 city-level species on a single planet?  Your own is the only one we know of where there will be only 1.

planets=more than 1
planet=only one.

and it has been discused here, on one planet whit a ruler specie, there won't be another species to achiv the city stage...or maby i'am worng