Author Topic: Increasing planet size with the Raise tool?  (Read 11626 times)

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Increasing planet size with the Raise tool?
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:05:03 pm »
A friend of mine mentioned this to me, and I decided to bring this up here for you guys.

Now, the land raising tool, well, raises land. What if, you raised ALL the land? Wouldn't that make your planet bigger?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing planet size with the Raise tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:06:14 pm »
That's a good question... I'm not sure, but I think raising the land might deepen the oceans, or something. It's possible it works like that though.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:09:26 pm »
maybe you could do that and add water to the oceans.

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:10:55 pm »
Well, matter can be neither created nor destroyed. So as you raise land, essentially "adding" land to the surface, you're taking it away from the center, making your planet hollow. If you add too much land, if you tell yourself "Oh, just one more mountain can't hurt," the entire thing will collapse in on itself. Like a celestial game of Jenga.

That's my theory anyway.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:51 pm »
Probably, but it would be a pain to cover every square inch of the planet with the UFO's ray, and a little bit at a time, so you'd need multiple passes to get very far. If you were willing to waste 40 hours doing that, then sure you could...

Offline Clappingman

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:36:46 pm »
Well, matter can be neither created nor destroyed.

I believe the current theory is the amount of energy-mass in the universe is constant.

Also that's our universe, not spore.

Also Also, Aliens, sufficiently advanced technology and some such.

Also Also Also that tool seemed to add on pretty slowly, and I imagine that if you continued to add in the same place rather than getting a really tall peak, it'd be somewhat like sand in that it spreads.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 09:40:18 pm »
Tractor beam asteroids the size of texas gently to the surface of your planet if you want.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:15 pm »
Well, matter can be neither created nor destroyed. So as you raise land, essentially "adding" land to the surface, you're taking it away from the center, making your planet hollow. If you add too much land, if you tell yourself "Oh, just one more mountain can't hurt," the entire thing will collapse in on itself. Like a celestial game of Jenga.

That's my theory anyway.

That sounds very cool!  ;D

Offline starshard0

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm waiting for Spore to come out, don't bug me.
    • View Profile
    • Starshard0's Super Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 12:25:43 am »
Tractor beam asteroids the size of texas gently to the surface of your planet if you want.
Interesting proposal, I like it.
Bored? On the internet? Probably not, but if so, check out my blog.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:51 am »
so the 1UP video of him making an ocean: all that water came from Comets? he made it magicly appear

hope in the final game the genisis device comes with a cool Star Trek looking thing

and while in the normal scheme of things matter is constant, matter=energy, energy is constantly decreasing because macro space is expanding, but localized creation of energy could be possible (see (Vacuum energy)(Zero-point energy)(Casimir effect))

Spore isn't the "Realistic Simulation of the universe"
Spore is the "Fun Simulaion of the Universe"

heck you want an explanaination for where the Mass (mass=energy) Energy came from?
the energy for all teraforming comes from the planet's Sun, energy is extracted trough micro-wormholes and transformed into matter which is deposited by even more micro-wormholes throught the structure you are modifying
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 03:17:36 am »
i wonder if you can use the terrain tools on the gas planets??
Under construction

Offline Joolies

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 03:20:26 am »
i doubt it, given that by very definition gas planets possess very little terrain

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 04:22:42 am »
I think that might actually work, but it'd take a while.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 04:54:20 am »
so the 1UP video of him making an ocean: all that water came from Comets? he made it magicly appear

hope in the final game the genisis device comes with a cool Star Trek looking thing

and while in the normal scheme of things matter is constant, matter=energy, energy is constantly decreasing because macro space is expanding, but localized creation of energy could be possible (see (Vacuum energy)(Zero-point energy)(Casimir effect))

Spore isn't the "Realistic Simulation of the universe"
Spore is the "Fun Simulaion of the Universe"

heck you want an explanaination for where the Mass (mass=energy) Energy came from?
the energy for all terraforming comes from the planet's Sun, energy is extracted trough micro-wormholes and transformed into matter which is deposited by even more micro-wormholes throught the structure you are modifying

With Zero-point energy you still aren't creating energy.  You are using the residual potential energy in the universe.  The idea is that even if the lowest energy state is a vacuum that a vacuum's energy state isn't zero.  You're terraforimg explanation sounds good! Suck matter and energy from somewhere else in the universe through worm holes convert it to what you want and deposit it on your planet.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 07:06:31 am »
sciences no need to try to use real science to explain how it possible or imposable.

But the question is still interting. How will the Spore engine handle someone that try to inflate or for that matter deflate a world with the terraforming tools? Their are several ways this could be handled. One way is to have a constant ideal radius of a plant. If you build a mountain the rest of the world must get a little lower. A other way is to do like Populous 3 did. A maximum and minmun planet radius. A third options is to have no limits at all. You could in theory inflate to infint size. This could be balance out by less and less power to edit the planet the larger it get. (You could only rise a same amount of area as you allways do even if the plant is larger. And their for the terraforming tools would be less and less efficient.) Still that last option do not stop a player from deflate a planet but maybe a smiler limitation of demising returns could be used as where use to inflate a world?

I would like option 3 best as it give the player the highest amount of freedom. (But I'm not sure how the engine can handle a superplanets or microplanets)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)