Author Topic: Expansion packs  (Read 38750 times)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spore expansions
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2006, 06:08:33 am »
Well, I don't care either way. If they do expansions, that's fine; I won't be paying for them anyways. I'll pay for Spore, because Will deserves it, but expansions are just a marketing ploy.

I think it depends on the expansion.  Some are just to pull more money out of you where others seem to add some real content to a potentially stale game.  Really, I think its just a judgment call for a person if they want to spend the money.  I just hate it when Expansion X requires that you had Expansions B & C already installed.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2006, 11:23:22 am »
expansions are amazing, a spore expansion would be probably like, better graphics or somthing , because the gameplay is just oh my god
Never mind your own business.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2006, 11:36:43 am »
I just hate it when Expansion X requires that you had Expansions B & C already installed.

agreed...  Maxis managed to avoid that with the Sims... sort of.

Expansion C in no way requires expansion B... but if you get expansion B afterwards you must uninstall expansion C and then install expansion B before reinstalling expansion C   :o

Man...  that was a headache...  fortunately I gave up by the time Makin' Magic came out, and I learned my lesson and never bought any of the expansions for Sims2 (mostly cuz I got bored with it too quick).  I did however scoop up RushHour as soon as it came out, and if another Simcity4 expansion were to come out I'm sure I'd get it even though I haven't played Simcity4 in months.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »
on how a multiplayer world could be made fun:

love the agressive gradient idea but how to completly gaurantee that everyone gets what they want?
"levels of openness"

top most level: the persistant galaxy
 /|\                        _
  | only player        |\
  |                           \ player controled
personal________\  _\|
galaxys                /     micro universes

micro universes: single solar systems up to entire galaxies
creator controls entry and layout and also hosts it
anyone can create a copy of a certain micro universe

the persistant galaxy: everyone can connect and interact with it

center: everyone begins at the center were everyone has complete protection
           stars here are of little value life cannot survive here
mid rim: life exists here and players can create pocket universes to contain copies of anything they want
            nebula create new stars and planets, untended stars disappear

outter rim: free-for-all zone, no protection
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2006, 12:08:19 pm »
What.  ???

Your ASCII diagram is pretty confusing...

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
Id like: Spore - AI beings

on a cellular level: You're sentient race is yet just in a computer, however you did achieve some intelligence (rather impulses). You "feed" on other programs, and fight viruses.
Creature Stage: You become a robot. Instead of finding food, you find metals and other materials to expand the robot's powers. Unlike a biological counterpart, you are unique, intelligent, but unique.
Tribal Stage: Your robot has created offspring, and you start to discover a culture for yourself, you cut yourself of the society your ancestors were created from. Instead of buying tools, you buy upgrades as: Emotion Patch, Musicians Code, Tactics Core etc.
City Stage: You build a city, instead of giving them food and happyness, you give them upgrades.

From then on the game would be pretty much similar to the regular races.
The special thing about AI beings is that you start inside of an already existing Civ. And then once youre a creature you scavenge of their trash, and you try to not get discovered by the race that inherits you.

OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
For expansion packs we definitly need more creature parts, the ability to go back stages (if not included in the origional game) by going back stages I mean keep the same tech level but play in an earlier stage. Also I would like to build cities in space, just floating randomly out in the middle of the galaxy, also the ability to fully create a new planet from nothing, or very little (I think the current game will only let you terraform the existing planets to what you want them to be, but having the ability to make a planet from scratch would be awsome being able to choose the size and starting conditions.)

Of course it would also be fun if every once and a while they threw in an expansion pack that also contained some of the civilizations that the staff made (imagine finding a large intersteller federation of willosaurs :) )
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »
Of course it would also be fun if every once and a while they threw in an expansion pack that also contained some of the civilizations that the staff made (imagine finding a large intersteller federation of willosaurs :) )

Umm... that's kinda what the whole pollination system is for...

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2006, 02:26:42 am »
if i was incharge of Will Wrights team when they were making an expansion, i would say "i want you to double the number of everything for the expansion, if the original game has 30 of each item in the creature editor, i want the expansion to add another 30, same with everything else, except possibly the ufo tools, if there are 25 ufo tools in the original game, i want the expansion to add another 50 tools!"

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2006, 08:37:42 pm »
if i was incharge of Will Wrights team when they were making an expansion, i would say "i want you to double the number of everything for the expansion, if the original game has 30 of each item in the creature editor, i want the expansion to add another 30, same with everything else, except possibly the ufo tools, if there are 25 ufo tools in the original game, i want the expansion to add another 50 tools!"

That would be a pretty lousy expansion.  While its always fun to get new items, I think an expansion should be more than just new tools or parts, it needs to fundamentally add something to the game.  Maybe there will be a "leadership" expansion or something similar where you can follow a particular creature and make him a leader or warlord or something else special to your people, maybe even a real avatar of your work.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2006, 01:19:06 am »
i would also make it have lottsa things such as the ability to make your ufo land and use wheels to get about, and you can land it and explore the planet on foot by directly controlling one of the scientists or somthing inside of it, a ufo that can go underwater and all sortsa nerw abilities.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2006, 01:38:16 am »
A mod i would but (or i think the Devs should add in ^_^)

Is a ground combat mod. In another thread i read that from tidal pool ---> space takes 5-7 hours, mebbe more. Main argument being It's a short time for one to go from tidal pool ---> space, as the vehicle editor might get abandoned (you might not need it later in space as a UFO is more powerful) I want something that extends the life of vehicles or even allows hostile takeovers using the ufo as a 'Dropship' and droping a small army to conquer the world.

I cant really see the vehicle editor being used except for the civ stage so i'd like that to be beefed up =3

Space combat yay!, should be added,

A combat mode that allows for ground or space combat ala Battlezone 2 (one of the best games ever imo) where you directly conrol a vehicle or spacecraft via 1st person or 3rd person

Clothing and gender mod!, i really.... really dont want to see a resemblence of the hulk doing himself
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2006, 03:41:33 am »
I would assume that since you can make colonies on other planets, that if you liked the civ stage so much you could create a colony, and then use it as a basis to play the civ game all over again to take over the planet.  If this is right then you can still make those vehicles later in the game and use them.

As with most of the game i would expect it to be all about what you want to do.
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2006, 04:37:48 am »

I kind of agree... but not 1 for 1 as you suggest.

If the number of component pieces (although I would expect far more than simply components out of an expansion) were as follows:

microbe 20
creature 50
building 100
vehicle 100
UFO 20

Then I would say to add:
microbe 50
creature 50
building 0
vehicle 0
UFO 50

hence evening out the distribution a bit.-

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2006, 04:47:16 am »
yeah, everything you said with all those things that people want, like these wierd abilities people say such as making a star go supernova underwater ufo and wheels for the ufo